Wasn't immigration control actually designed to protect American workers?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
I'm just kind of wondering if anyone would examine the history of why these laws were enacted. Some of it was outright racism but the argument that allowing an unlimited flow of workers into this country would water down wages for the American worker. I kind of wonder if anyone would do some research into this issue. The fact that we allow so many foreign workers into this country might explain why wages have been stagnant for the last thirty or forty years and don't tell me that big corporations can't afford to pay a dollar or two or more per hour for a worker when they have been making incredible profits for the last half century or so.

• Banned
“Better is bread with a happy heart, than wealth with vexation.”
Amenemope,
Ancient Egyptian Pharaoh

I actually think he said 'hope and change' and I am your pharoh. I was not born of this land but of another land. I can prove it because I don't have a birthing scroll

One big reason for the stagnation are taxes and the growing government...

But regarding your issue. It's also the businesses that are going out, not just the workers who are coming in.

Last edited:
  • Banned
One big reason for the stagnation is taxes and the growing government...

But regarding your issue. It's also the businesses that are going out, not just the workers who are coming in.

I'm all for trade and don't care if companies move overseas BUT I don't see what is the harm in limiting their ability to do that. I might not be for it personally but I don't think stopping a few companies from going overseas will any damage to our economy as a whole.

I forgot to answer the question.

I have no idea what immigration laws were originally designed for. But one of the primary purposes must have been to prevent the Muslim Armageddon that Germany, France and Sweden are experiencing.

• Banned
The first immigration laws were created to keep out the Chinks and the dirty Krauts.

Krauts were kept out because their was a war going on. That just makes common sense but those weren't the first immigration laws put in place.

Learn some history before posting. damn. From 1940-1980 taxes on the top 5% of our population were at least 2-3 times what they're now. Our trade laws(nafta, tpp), outsourcing and destruction of our unions have destroyed our economy.

Liberterianism would just make it so much worse. Please I challege you to show me where the mid 20th century had lower taxes then today and this was at a time when we had the biggest middle class in the history of this nation by percentage and far more wealth within their hands.

Government believe it or not is very small right now. Smaller then even Reagans government.
The graph above comes courtesy of the Economic Policy Institute. Since the recession officially ended in January 2009, the economy has bid goodbye to 584,000 government jobs (private sector employment is up by 2.8 million). That's a roughly a 2 percent drop. Though the federal workforce actually grew between 2009 and 2011, it's now shrinking at the fastest rate since the 1950s, as my colleague Derek Thompson has written. By comparison, government payrolls increased by at least a full percentage point during the thirty months after each of the last major recessions, while Republican presidents presided over the economy.
The Incredible Shrinking U.S. Government

The first immigration laws were created to keep out the Chinks and the dirty Krauts.

Krauts were kept out because their was a war going on. That just makes common sense but those weren't the first immigration laws put in place.
Yes the first ones were to keep out the damned Asians. 130 years ago Trump would be demanding a 10,000 mile pacific barrier wall, and for China to pay for it.

Yes the first ones were to keep out the damned Asians. 130 years ago Trump would be demanding a 10,000 mile pacific barrier wall, and for China to pay for it.

And were they kept out? I see many asian Americans walking around? Where did they come from?

And were they kept out? I see many asian Americans walking around? Where did they come from?
Trump wasn't around to get them out of here back then. Duh. I wonder what immigrant group America will hate in another 100 years.

I just remember that George Washington signed some kind of law banning all new immigrants from entering the country.

Learn some history before posting. damn. From 1940-1980 taxes on the top 5% of our population were at least 2-3 times what they're now. Our trade laws(nafta, tpp), outsourcing and destruction of our unions have destroyed our economy.

Liberterianism would just make it so much worse. Please I challege you to show me where the mid 20th century had lower taxes then today and this was at a time when we had the biggest middle class in the history of this nation by percentage and far more wealth within their hands.

Government believe it or not is very small right now. Smaller then even Reagans government.
The graph above comes courtesy of the Economic Policy Institute. Since the recession officially ended in January 2009, the economy has bid goodbye to 584,000 government jobs (private sector employment is up by 2.8 million). That's a roughly a 2 percent drop. Though the federal workforce actually grew between 2009 and 2011, it's now shrinking at the fastest rate since the 1950s, as my colleague Derek Thompson has written. By comparison, government payrolls increased by at least a full percentage point during the thirty months after each of the last major recessions, while Republican presidents presided over the economy.

Shut the hell up, ignoramus. This is total bullshit and lies:

usgr_chart3p21.png

Us_gov_spending_history_1902_2010.png

Taxes are higher than they have EVER been.

I have shown these graphs to you before. I am not sure whether you are:

1) Lying.
2) Too stupid to read a chart (this was the case with some liberals here).

It probably is both. You sound like a really dumb and ignorant government leech.

Shut the hell up, ignoramus. This is total bullshit and lies:

usgr_chart3p21.png

Us_gov_spending_history_1902_2010.png

Taxes are higher than they have EVER been.

I have shown these graphs to you before. I am not sure whether you are:

1) Lying.
2) Too stupid to read a chart (this was the case with some liberals here).

It probably is both. You sound like a really dumb and ignorant government leech.

THey just say shit to troll people. They know that the average American likes their country so they have to spend their entire time ripping it apart because they are bunch of communist assholes. We all know it but don't have the guts to say it to them.

Forum List

Back