Was this a movie based on a true story?

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Yesterday evening we watched the indy film "Sorry, Haters" and at the startup credits, it said that it was based on a true story. It was an excellent film exploring the darker side of attitudes post-911, and wonderfully acted, but the ending was a complete shocker.

At that point, we looked at each other and wondered if it really did happen. But a search of the Internet claims no such thing. Does anybody have any information or was it all fictional?

Never heard of it, never saw it (obviously), can't help you.
Who directed and produced? That will give you a clue whether it is true or pure Hollywood hype based on a single kernel of truth.

9/11 happened.

Nowadays this seems to be about all it takes to claim a movie is "based" on a "true" story or "actual events." See Remember the Titans then read the true story of Coach Boone and the Titans. Until I read the true story, I had enjoyed the movie, I had watched it several times (I find it difficult to fall asleep without some kind of noise in the background. I could kiss the guy who put sleep timers on televisions), now I can barely stand to see the title of the movie.

I'm guessing you didn't look so hard? :eusa_eh:

SORRY, HATERS 2006

As the summary says "could be true" I assume it's not.

I read all the online reviews, and some said something similar, and others said it was fiction. I wish now I had saved the DVD recording where in the intro it definitely stated it was "based on a true story."

The reason we were curious is that the movie had such a shocking and violent ending, following a rather sweet and emotional climax leading up to it, that if it HAD been true, it would have been front-page news, and we had never seen any reference to an actual occurrence.

Forum List

Back