Warrior Ethos

usmcstinger

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2011
General Carter Hamm: Served as head of the United States African Command during the bloodshed in Benghazi.
Hamm was extremely critical of the Obama administration, including when reinforcements were not sent to help the U.S. citizens under attack in Benghazi. Hamm “resigned and retired” in April 2013.
Rear Adm. Charles Gaouette, Navy Commander of Carrier Strike Group Three.
Under testimony, he told Congress there may not have been time to get the flight crews to Benghazi, but left the door open when he told Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) under cross-examination that he could have launched aircraft to the destination.

Both of these Patriots understood the meaning of the Warrior Ethos.

Statements made by former Secretary of State Clinton and former Secretary of Defense Panetta made it clear that they had no knowledge of the Warrior Ethos. Those of us who served in combat truly understood it's meaning.

Too many members of Congress and appointed Officials don't have a clue about the Warrior Ethos. It is about time they learned!

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
Unfortunately, there will very rarely be a "connection" between the military and the politicians when it comes to things like the Warrior Ethos. Politicians view things in terms of political expediency, positioning and posturing. That's just the nature of the beast.

Within the military structure, the generals are expected to follow suit. And a lot of them do. Not so sure they really have a choice: you either play along or you don't get to play. I suppose they rationalize some sort of compromise within their own sense of right and wrong; otherwise, it probably gets tough looking at the face in the mirror whenever they get up in the morning. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing; just saying that it's a reality.

That's why I admire the hell out of leaders like General Hamm who are willing to take the plunge based on principle. The tough question is whether or not we all suffer because once he falls on his sword, he's kicked out of the clubhouse for good. And for that single instance, we miss out on all the good decisions General Hamm would have made had he stayed.

But I never expect politicians to understand why you go the extra mile for a comrade in arms, why you stick it out until the job is finished and why you never leave a fallen comrade behind. Cynical view, perhaps, but that's the ugly reality.

Your mileage may differ.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos

Forum List

Back