Warren is heartless to those who save for college

I paid for my own college, my son spent six years and worked and paid for his

I do not begrudge those who face massive college debt getting help to pay off that debt

Yeah, as long as someone else pays for it, right? If you feel so strongly about it, you and few of your liberal buddies should get together and start a scholarship for kids who want to attend their college of choice. Put your money where your mouth is instead of volunteering everyone else's money.

We have always looked at education as a valuable investment for our society. It benefits us all

So yes, I fully support using tax dollars to pay for education
This is exactly right. Society benefits from higher education. Higher salaries. More tax dollars. Better economy.

It’s why we for primary and secondary schools. It’s why we subsidized universities (a subsidy which has been declining in recent decades).

I guess you have noticed the rise of useless degrees? It takes 4 years to get a Bachelors because of all the ridiculous electives required. This is all part of an educational system run by greedy leftists who want more money. They have been watering down the majors for years now to attract more folks. Colleges are now doing what high schools should be doing with regards to general education.

The vast majority of college kids in the US wouldn't even make it into college in country's that have "free" college. I am not sure you liberals are ready for that. I think our snowflakes want to go to college for "free" so they can major in something easy, but useless to society.
In a rough economy with graduating students having difficulty in getting jobs after graduation and facing large amounts of debt, I have seen the opposite
Students are avoiding “useless degrees”

Not if it is "free". You know this.

I paid for my own college, my son spent six years and worked and paid for his

I do not begrudge those who face massive college debt getting help to pay off that debt

Yeah, as long as someone else pays for it, right? If you feel so strongly about it, you and few of your liberal buddies should get together and start a scholarship for kids who want to attend their college of choice. Put your money where your mouth is instead of volunteering everyone else's money.

We have always looked at education as a valuable investment for our society. It benefits us all

This is exactly right. Society benefits from higher education. Higher salaries. More tax dollars. Better economy.

It’s why we for primary and secondary schools. It’s why we subsidized universities (a subsidy which has been declining in recent decades).

I guess you have noticed the rise of useless degrees? It takes 4 years to get a Bachelors because of all the ridiculous electives required. This is all part of an educational system run by greedy leftists who want more money. They have been watering down the majors for years now to attract more folks. Colleges are now doing what high schools should be doing with regards to general education.

The vast majority of college kids in the US wouldn't even make it into college in country's that have "free" college. I am not sure you liberals are ready for that. I think our snowflakes want to go to college for "free" so they can major easy, but useless to society.

I’ve found what conservatives call “useless” degrees are hardly useless, rather that they just misunderstand the utility of liberal arts education. Liberal arts, contrary to your assertion, has been in decline for the last decade due to perceived lack of economic benefit of these majors.

Liberal Arts has been a target for Conservatives for one reason.....it contains the word “liberal” in it. They have no concept of what Liberal Arts involves and imagine it is an indoctrination to liberalism

The vast majority of college kids in the US wouldn't even make it into college in country's that have "free" college. I am not sure you liberals are ready for that. I think our snowflakes want to go to college for "free" so they can major easy, but useless to society.

I’ve found what conservatives call “useless” degrees are hardly useless, rather that they just misunderstand the utility of liberal arts education. Liberal arts, contrary to your assertion, has been in decline for the last decade due to perceived lack of economic benefit of these majors.

Liberal Arts has been a target for Conservatives for one reason.....it contains the word “liberal” in it. They have no concept of what Liberal Arts involves and imagine it is an indoctrination to liberalism
Liberal arts is critical thinking and analysis. Everyone should want that.

I don’t like that conservatives want university to be transformed into a more rigorous trade school. That’s not what it’s for. That’s never been what it’s for.

The vast majority of college kids in the US wouldn't even make it into college in country's that have "free" college. I am not sure you liberals are ready for that. I think our snowflakes want to go to college for "free" so they can major in something easy, but useless to society.
In a rough economy with graduating students having difficulty in getting jobs after graduation and facing large amounts of debt, I have seen the opposite

I don’t know if you realize it, but college is quite difficult and takes work. Whether it is free or not, students still gravitate towards majors with employment opportunities

I don’t know if you realize it, but college is quite difficult and takes work. Whether it is free or not, students still gravitate towards majors with employment opportunities

College an be difficult or it can be easy, much depends on aptitude and major.

You guys are looking for 4 more years of coddling after high school. People must have skin in the game. It is very easy to waste other people's money. You are kidding yourselves if you don't think that 1) colleges would dumb down classes to get more students who are guaranteed to pay and 2) that many kids who were not college material would take advantage of 4 years of fun on the government dime.

You guys are looking for 4 more years of coddling after high school. People must have skin in the game. It is very easy to waste other people's money. You are kidding yourselves if you don't think that 1) colleges would dumb down classes to get more students who are guaranteed to pay and 2) that many kids who were not college material would take advantage of 4 years of fun on the government dime.
Having to borrow tens of thousands of dollars to get a degree is not skin, it is a huge financial burden that many cannot bear.

I saw many kids that were not college material flunk out.

This moment, if given the proper publicity will end the Warren campaign. AS IT SHOULD

No it won’t.

We saved and paid for education for our kids. I don’t begrudge someone else getting a more affordable education for their kids. In fact, MY KIDS will benefit if we make the needed changes.

Side note....we never seem to catch a glimpse of Trump being questioned by someone who doesn’t support him. Why do you suppose that is?

You said yourself that colleges have no difficulty finding C students to fill up. Not sure what you mean by colleges dumbing down since you’re already accusing them of it. You have it kinda backwards. Dumbing down is exactly what they’ve done to attract the students who do pay. Increase the pool of kids who can attend and you’ve increased competition.

You see, colleges now have a dual priority. On one hand they want smart kids. On the other hand, they want kids who pay. Those aren’t necessarily the same thing. Level the playing field, and colleges will become more selective and kids will compete for spots rather than writing a check to get in.

It shows how what we really need right now is affordable college. I think most of us just want to know it’s not going to be a fortune when our kids go to college.
Because the educators are overpaid and underworked

they know they can raise tuition and the public will demand that government pay for it

Having to borrow tens of thousands of dollars to get a degree is not skin, it is a huge financial burden that many cannot bear.

The first step is for liberal run Universities to lower their cost. If they cared, that is what they would do. They don't really care. They want more money and they want taxpayers to fund this nonsense.

Here is an idea, we designate one college per state that is "free". There will be limited majors, high entrance requirements and students must maintain a 3.0 GPA. No football teams, no frats and a very utilitarian campus. The school is for learning...PERIOD. If you want frills, pay for one of the other schools.

It shows how what we really need right now is affordable college. I think most of us just want to know it’s not going to be a fortune when our kids go to college.
Why did the costs go up so much since the 1960's? Much of it is overrated anyway depending on the major taken. Start teaching again and stop pushing propaganda.

Why did the costs go up so much since the 1960's? Much of it is overrated anyway depending on the major taken. Start teaching again and stop pushing propaganda.

There's lots of reasons for that. This is an old article but I think it offers a good explanation.
Why Is College in America So Expensive?

Most colleges have teachers who do teach...and none of them I know push propaganda..whatever that means. Just more right wing hot air. Most of these teachers are also likely to be under pressure to perform research and publish (in addition to their teaching duties).

We saved for our kids college through a variety of methods. They were good investments (as both are doing well) but there's no getting that money back and I'm OK with that.

The first step is for liberal run Universities to lower their cost. If they cared, that is what they would do. They don't really care. They want more money and they want taxpayers to fund this nonsense.

Here is an idea, we designate one college per state that is "free". There will be limited majors, high entrance requirements and students must maintain a 3.0 GPA. No football teams, no frats and a very utilitarian campus. The school is for learning...PERIOD. If you want frills, pay for one of the other schools.
A better solution is to make Community Colleges free. They are low cost as it is. That way, you are only paying for two years instead of four.

and none of them I know push propaganda..whatever that means.

Wow. You need to get out more. Yes, many liberal professors push propaganda.

I've been hearing this for over 30 years about how colleges and universities push liberal propaganda. It's a myth. And while I understand that a lot of right wing beliefs are grounded in myths, contrary to that, a lot of kids come out of college with conservative views (I did). Again, an older article, but still holds...and this was before Trump got started. :)
The Myth of the Liberal “Echo Chamber” on Campus

It wasn't until I got married, had kids, and spent several years in the working world before those black and white conservative views became more gray.

There's lots of reasons for that. This is an old article but I think it offers a good explanation.

Most colleges have teachers who do teach...and none of them I know push propaganda..whatever that means. Just more right wing hot air. Most of these teachers are also likely to be under pressure to perform research and publish (in addition to their teaching duties).

We saved for our kids college through a variety of methods. They were good investments (as both are doing well) but there's no getting that money back and I'm OK with that.
The problem with conservatives is they value a minimal mindset. Colleges offer exposure to many mindsets and some are extreme. That enrages conservatives who consider it indoctrination

Who says college must be plush dorms, facilities, tenured professors making egregious salaries? Also, why are you going to college? Are you going to pick up skills sets to get a job that will help you pay down that debt?

There needs to be a shift in the mindset when it comes to going to college. Don’t buy off a big chunk like too much car and too much house. Even with the car, you can unload the debt. With Big Education, you are saddled with it but much of it is so unnecessary.

The problem with conservatives is they value a minimal mindset. Colleges offer exposure to many mindsets and some are extreme. That enrages conservatives who consider it indoctrination

Oh bullshit..... the only people getting enraged are liberals when a conservative voice speaks on campuses.

and none of them I know push propaganda..whatever that means.

Wow. You need to get out more. Yes, many liberal professors push propaganda.

I've been hearing this for over 30 years about how colleges and universities push liberal propaganda. It's a myth. And while I understand that a lot of right wing beliefs are grounded in myths, contrary to that, a lot of kids come out of college with conservative views (I did). Again, an older article, but still holds...and this was before Trump got started. :)
The Myth of the Liberal “Echo Chamber” on Campus

It wasn't until I got married, had kids, and spent several years in the working world before those black and white conservative views became more gray.
I agree. I came out of college as a Reagan Conservative. I bought into the idea of Jack Kemp Supply Side Economics. I believed people on welfare were lazy and stupid. I believed labor unions were communist.

As I got older, I saw the impact of those beliefs and how callous and indifferent conservatives were

Oh bullshit..... the only people getting enraged are liberals when a conservative voice speaks on campuses.

What enrages is the hate and racism being spouted by these conservatives

Intellectual Conservative speech used to mean George Will and William F Buckley. These guys spoke on my campus in the 70s.

Today, Conservatism has been taken over by thinly disguised hate speech. Ann Coulter, Dinesh D’Sousa, Sean Hannity are what represents today’s conservatism. It is not based on intellectual discussion but vapid one liners about immigrants, minorities and Muslims.

Forum List

Back