warmest January on record

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
AOL Search

The global-average lower tropospheric temperature anomaly soared to +0.72 deg. C in
January, 2010. This is the warmest January in the 32-year satellite-based data record.

The tropics and Northern and Southern Hemispheres were all well above normal, especially the tropics where El Nino conditions persist. Note the global-average warmth is approaching the warmth reached during the 1997-98 El Nino, which peaked in February of 1998.

This record warmth will seem strange to those who have experienced an unusually cold winter. While I have not checked into this, my first guess is that the atmospheric general circulation this winter has become unusually land-locked, allowing cold air masses to intensify over the major Northern Hemispheric land masses more than usual. Note this ALSO means that not as much cold air is flowing over and cooling the ocean surface compared to normal. Nevertheless, we will double check our calculations to make sure we have not make some sort of Y2.01K error (insert smiley). I will also check the AMSR-E sea surface temperatures, which have also been running unusually warm.
A very warm January, for sure.

Last edited:
"This record warmth will seem strange to those who have experienced an unusually cold winter. While I have not checked into this, my first guess is that the atmospheric general circulation this winter has become unusually land-locked, allowing cold air masses to intensify over the major Northern Hemispheric land masses more than usual. Note this ALSO means that not as much cold air is flowing over and cooling the ocean surface compared to normal. Nevertheless, we will double check our calculations to make sure we have not make some sort of Y2.01K error (insert smiley). I will also check the AMSR-E sea surface temperatures, which have also been running unusually warm."

Translation: you can get Global Warming if you only measure places where its warmer

I've got about 3 inches of fresh global warming here. and I understand that DC will get about a foot or better. Seems to me this has been a bitterly cold winter. And not just in my general area.

Last edited:
Ahh... everyone has trouble seeing beyone the end of their noses.

I had a bit cooler than normal January, however the word for the day kiddies is GLOBAL.

And we have had a very warm January, with the last few days haveing a routine high of 55 every day. All of which proves nothing. The word, indeed, is global.

Right now.

Low Total Solar Irradiance.

Low Sunpspots.

El Nino.

A 40% increase in CO2, a 150% increase in CH4, and a bunch of really nasty industrial GHGs.

So far this year, record temperatures globally. Looks like the latter two factors cancelled out the effect of the sun.

Now, let us look at the prior two years, 2008, and 2007.

Low TSI.

Low Sunspot activity.

Strong and persistant La Nina.

40% increase in CO2. 150% increase in CH4. And some really nasty industrial GHGs.

So three out of four factors say that we should have had a couple of really cold years. But both years rank among the ten warmest on record.

So what happened PP? Why did not the solar effect overpower the GHG effect?

Ahh... everyone has trouble seeing beyone the end of their noses.

I had a bit cooler than normal January, however the word for the day kiddies is GLOBAL.

The word of the day is cyclical

Really?:lol:

Sure, cyclical, as in spirally upward.

Come on, Dave, give us some good science that states that we are not changing the climate. Show us that the Ice Caps are not melting. The the area of alpine glaciers is not shrinking rapidly and at an accelerating rate.

You are good at flapping yap, but never back up what you state with any real data.

Right now.

Low Sunpspots.

El Nino.

A 40% increase in CO2, a 150% increase in CH4, and a bunch of really nasty industrial GHGs.

So far this year, record temperatures globally. Looks like the latter two factors cancelled out the effect of the sun.

Low TSI.

Low Sunspot activity.

40% increase in CO2. 150% increase in CH4. And some really nasty industrial GHGs.

So three out of four factors say that we should have had a couple of really cold years. But both years rank among the ten warmest on record.

Saint Albert and the global warming gods salute you .........:clap2:

Right now.

Low Sunpspots.

El Nino.

Low TSI.

Low Sunspot activity.

Saint Albert and the global warming gods salute you .........:clap2:

Mindless derision in leiu of any kind of real rebuttal. Simply states your whole case.

I feel sorry for all those people living in the troposphere and experiencing this "record" "Global Warming"

Forum List

Back