Warm Bagels and Heavy Winds

the latest notification we got:

Notification issued 10/29/12 at 11:08 AM. The Holland Tunnel and the Brooklyn
Battery Tunnel will be closing today at 2 PM.There is no estimated time for
reopening

The sender provided the following contact information.
Sender's Name: Notify NYC
Sender's Email: [email protected]
Sender's Contact Phone: 212-XXX-XXXX

i've never heard of the battery tunnel or holland tunnel closing before. it sounds like something out of The Stand.

It's weird, usually the worst part of a hurricane is on the eastern side of it. It looks like it's going to make landfall significantly below NYC, I'm guessing Anapolis to Baltimore based upon the modeling, but there is hardly any coverage of the Maryland impact. I mean, it looks like you should have some storm surge flooding, but not necessarily like you guys are going to be in the path of the worst winds...

Kind of strange, really.

someone told me that the worst of the storm is always to the right of landfall. but i don't know. :dunno:

it's supposed to hit just north of delmarva.

steady wind here of about 30, gusts up to 45-50 now.

supposed to get worse tonight. picked up the girl child and her friend since they closed unh until at least weds. all schools in mass are closed.

no work for me :)

It's weird, usually the worst part of a hurricane is on the eastern side of it. It looks like it's going to make landfall significantly below NYC, I'm guessing Anapolis to Baltimore based upon the modeling, but there is hardly any coverage of the Maryland impact. I mean, it looks like you should have some storm surge flooding, but not necessarily like you guys are going to be in the path of the worst winds...

Kind of strange, really.

someone told me that the worst of the storm is always to the right of landfall. but i don't know. :dunno:

That has always been my experience of tropical storms.

I am in a 'burb just off of NYC. I couldn't get to work this morning if I wanted to (because there is a strong likelihood the bridges will get closed soon). IF Sandy strengthens and we get the real bad NE quadrant winds and rains, it is very doubtful I will come out unscathed. No particular flood threat, but lots of trees and limbs and power lines will certainly be coming down.

We have literally battened down the old hatches. Supplied ourselves for a siege. But

bagels sound good.

I am in a 'burb just off of NYC. I couldn't get to work this morning if I wanted to (because there is a strong likelihood the bridges will get closed soon). IF Sandy strengthens and we get the real bad NE quadrant winds and rains, it is very doubtful I will come out unscathed. No particular flood threat, but lots of trees and limbs and power lines will certainly be coming down.

We have literally battened down the old hatches. Supplied ourselves for a siege. But

bagels sound good.

i don't have to tell you that brooklyn has some of the best bagels in the country. :D

at least they closed the courts so no appearances today, right?

keep us posted as to how you're doing.

i'm wondering if we're going to lose internet at some point.

Kind of strange, really.

That has always been my experience of tropical storms.
In most cases, the east/northeast is the dirty side of the storm. And I imagine NYC is getting lots of attention because it will be on that side and because of the population density.

bagels sound good.

i don't have to tell you that brooklyn has some of the best bagels in the country. :D

I think getting sleep tonight is unlikely.

And like my kids' school, I expect the bridges and the courts (etc) to be closed on Tuesday.

bagels sound good.

And like my kids' school, I expect the bridges and the courts (etc) to be closed on Tuesday.

i figure the same.

i would be shocked if everything weren't closed tomorrow, too. my son was funny. he asked if we could bring him to a friend's house.

i just stared at him. :rolleyes:

i figure the same.

i would be shocked if everything weren't closed tomorrow, too. my son was funny. he asked if we could bring him to a friend's house.

I like your kid's spunk.

His judgment? Sounds like my son. Poor you.

i figure the same.

I like your kid's spunk.

His judgment? Sounds like my son. Poor you.

yah... apparently, being national honor society doesn't give you a whit of common sense. lol.

If anyone lives in an area with overhead power lines and it floods, DO NOT go into any flooding unless you are absolutely certain the power is off.

We had a tropical storm here one year and the vast majority of deaths were people walking into a puddle with a downed power line or driving into a canal because it couldn't be distinguished from the road.

And, if/when you do start driving, don't drive on roads that are covered with water. You can't always tell if the road has washed out underneath the flooding and it's easy to get trapped.

IN the south, we're known for hunkering down and boozing it up. It makes the roaring winds and lack of internet service more bearable.

Also, if you think you are likely to lose power, cook the perishable stuff from your freezer first and saved the canned food for later. We always end up grilling steaks the day before the hurricane. but, if you still have power, I'd cook some perishables. If you lose power, they won't keep for long.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back