War...Where Next?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by antagon, Aug 11, 2010.

1. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The US is a warring nation. As our grip on world influence increased, so has our participation in conflicts across the globe. The last half of the 20th century has seen us jumping from conflict to conflict, and in this century, we've been at it full-time. Is our involvement Afghanistan and Iraq really going to subside any time soon? Will that bring us a spell of peace? If not, who's next in line for a showdown with America?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. topspin

topspin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196
    No Iran is next, republiKlans are blood lusters, as long as they don't have to do the fighting.

3. logical4u

logical4u citizen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +543
    As long as we have what other nations/dictators want, we will be at war. When we have nothing, we will be ignored.

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    Let's see, Vatican City is small as far as nations go, but that will rile up the Catholics, and our SCOTUS is mostly Catholic, hm, how about Monaco, nah, Grace Kelly was beautiful, we just can't invade romantic places, how about Nauru, should be easy, small, one bomb would probably suffice, we could have the GOP all decked out like Bush was on a carrier with Mission Accomplished signs everywhere. Now what is they did? We need another Colin Powell speech. And then we will feel better like Reagan and Granada. Isn't war great.

"'The Culture of Contentment' is a deliberate misnomer. Galbraith is using irony here, irony little short of sarcasm. What he really means is the culture of smugness. His argument is that until the mid 1970s round about the oil crisis the western democracies accepted the idea of a mixed economy and with that went economic social progress. Since then, however, a prominent class has emerged, materially stable and even very rich, which, far from trying to help the less fortunate, has developed a whole infrastructure - politically and intellectually - to marginalize and even demonize them. Aspects of this include tax reductions to the better off and welfare cuts to the worst off, small 'manageable wars' to maintain the unifying force of a common enemy, the idea of 'unmitigated laissez-faire as embodiment of freedom,' and a desire for cutback in government. The most important collective end result of all this, Galbraith says, is a blindness and a deafness among the 'contented' to the growing problems of society. While they are content to spend, or have spent in their name, trillions of dollars to defeat relatively minor enemy figures.... they are extremely unwilling to spend money on the underclass nearer home. In a startling paragraph he quotes figures to show that 'the number of Americans living below the poverty line increased by 28% in just 10 years from 24.5 million in 1978 to 32 million in 1988 by then nearly one in five children was born in poverty in the United States more than twice as high a proportion as in Canada or Germany." Peter Watson

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Contentment-Penguin-economics-Galbraith/dp/0140173668/ref=sr_1_17?s=books&ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: Culture of Contentment, the (Penguin economics) (9780140173666): John Kenneth Galbraith: Books[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  5. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,273
    I think the next armed conflict will come as a shock to Americans like Afghanistan did for so many. When I first heard of the possibility of military action in Afghanistan, I went to a map to see where it was located. I say Korea is a likely spot or any country where we have close ties and it is threaten.

6. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,144
    If the Republicans regain control of Congress in 2010, and the White House in 2012 and do so by continuing to block efforts by Obama to get our economy moving again and are successful, the answer will be very clear by the summer of 2013.
    A crisis will require American military response, it maybe at home or in South America or the Middle East or Africa ((think Reichstag fire; Feb 1933; yellow cake in 2003).
    I don't pretend to be prescient, but as the man said, "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

7. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    We have been at War constantly for the last two hundred years. There have only been brief respites during this two hundred year War. This age-old Empire-building policy isn't just gonna go away in an instant. I think minds are changing but this is happening very slowly. Someday most will firmly believe in a Non-Interventionist and Neutral Foreign Policy. Unfortunately this isn't going to happen anytime soon. The Globalists/Interventionists are currently entrenched in power all over the World. They truly believe in it like one does a religion. We've been bombing someone somewhere non-stop around the clock for the last 60yrs. I don't think most Americans can even remember a time when we weren't bombing someone somewhere. It's ingrained in our being.

Most people cannot allow themselves to even consider a Non-Interventionist neutral Foreign Policy. They have been indoctrinated with interventionist War propaganda all their lives. So it's not their fault that they can't even consider the possibility of a Non-Interventionist foreign policy. They just don't know anything else. They throw those old & tired labels at you like "Isolationist" and "Protectionist" because that's what they've been taught to do as part of their defense mechanism. They really don't know any better in the end. It is kind of sad. We will only achieve real peace & prosperity for our people when most decide it's time to end this long War. We probably wont be around to see that day but i'm optimistic that day will come. So where will the next War be? Who knows? I just know that there will be one.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  8. cad

cad Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    the world would be a much better place if thre us would just stop bombing everyone.

let n. korea destroy s. korea. fuck em. what did they ever do for us? they don't even have oil.

let iran get a nuke and destroy israel. those jews deserve it. we are all palestinians.

we need to stop killing people so greedy ceo's can make millions and turning our workers into slaves and sending our jobs to china.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    About time to invade Grenada again? I think we could afford that one.

10. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,305
    We've had the War on Poverty

the War on Drugs

I say, given the recent news - the next step is the War on Bedbugs.