War on drugs began at the border.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by LilOlLady, Apr 16, 2012.

1. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    WAR ON DRUGS BEGAN AT THE BORDER.

If there were no drugs crossing the border, they would not get on the streets and to drug dealers and users. The war on drugs has failed for the same reason the war on illegal immigration has failed. We have failed to secure the border. Legalizing marijuana will not put a dent on the war on drugs because there are other drugs that are crossing and most addictions are to those drugs. Marijuana is jut a fraction of the drugs crossing the border and of use. I am aware of cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin and illegal prescription drugs but there are probably others. These drugs that will make it worth drugs cartels getting them on our street and to users.

Are there any village idiots out there that believe if we make marijuana more available that people will stop using other drugs?

If drug cartels cannot get their drug across the border they will leave the border and they would solve Mexico’s war on drugs.

We got Al Qaeda out of Afghanistan but we cannot keep drugs and drugs cartel out of this country?

2. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
  3. sublime

sublime I'm your huckleberry...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    WRONG......

The war on drugs cannot be won, there is too much demand which creates a black market that is supplied by people on both sides of the border. It generates under the table wealth for a criminal element that operates outside of our laws.

People should be able to go to a pharmacy and ask for drugs over the counter. The violence would drop dramatically the minute you take the profit away from the criminals.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Unman hats to break it to you, but pot can be grown anywhere. In the US. Meth can be made in mobile labs. Heroin and coke? You have a point, but the legalization of a recreational drug like pot would allow for many more assets at our disposal to go after the really dangerous drugs.

Personally? I have no dog in this hunt. I used to smoke the stuff when I was a young man, but haven't touched it for decades. It matters little to me one way or another. I just think that in practical terms..,it should be done.

5. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    Hell if I stayed high on marijuana all the time, I would forget that I had MS also.

6. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    Most of us are familiar with the pulmonary consequences of smoking cigarettes--COPD and lung cancer among the most prevalent accounting for nearly 300,000 deaths annually in the United States alone. But for those who regularly smoke marijuana, are the consequences comparable? Since marijuana includes many of the same respiratory irritants and cancer causing ingredients as cigarettes, it would be reasonable to hypothesize that the consequences of regularly smoking marijuana would be similar to those of tobacco.
    Does Regular Marijuana Smoking Lead to COPD?

7. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    ?
    I mean, sorry about your MS...but what does that have to do with the price of duck milk this time of year?

8. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    Legalizing Marijuana would not stop drug related violence because there are so many other drug we cannot legalize.

9. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    So does coal mining and welding...however, if we are just talking about guilty pleasures, Some people smoke two packs of cigarettes a day....all by themselves. I'd be willing to bet you'd be hard pressed to find many people who ingested nearly that much smoke from marijuana.

10. sublime

sublime I'm your huckleberry...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Why not?

Have the laws that criminalize drug use stopped drug use in the United States? Can you show me where any prohibition has worked? The only way to truly enforce prohibition is through draconian tactics like those that are employed in the middle east and china. Sorry, it just ain't gonna happen.

Besides, are you truly free if the government can regulate what you are allowed to ingest in to your own body?

Nope.. Not really...

I am not a drug user, I think drugs are bad, but I believe the impact of creating a HUGE criminal underground with the "War on Drugs" is far worse than the drug use itself. Drug users will use drugs regardless of their legality the war on drugs has been ongoing for 40 years and it hasn't changed a thing.. Oh wait, it has cost billions of dollars, created a criminal black market and jailed a large portion of our society... Yeah, that's a great policy... puhleaze.