Want work? Accept a job.

Is that rhetorical or are you sure about that? Or is that a rhetorical comment without substantiation? My commercial agent says no such insurance is sold. The closest that would come to such a policy is a policy for disability, which would be due to medical reasons, and W.C. insurance which is payed for by the employer, and would also be a disability due to medical reasons.

Heck they will insure anything, even actors lips and legs.
So we're off to LLoyds of London, eh? - :eusa_whistle:

Can self-employed people claim unemployment? Yes, and no. Mostly no. As Josh King, an attorney and vice-president of Avvo, a site designed to help people find the right lawyer, told me: "Unemployment law differs from state to state, but generally speaking, the self-employed are not eligible for unemployment benefits for a simple reason: They haven't paid into the state's unemployment insurance fund."

If you're self-employed and have an S-Corp, you can collect unemployment, but in that case, your corporation is paying you a salary and putting money into the state unemployment insurance program, says King, adding: "There is no free lunch."

Well, actually, you can have free lunch. You are eligible for benefits like food stamps, says King, adding that it's need-based, "depending on their income. Being self-employed does not disqualify them from these benefits." You're also eligible for Medicaid (health insurance for the unemployed and low-waged) and the WIC program (which provides nutrition and nutritional supplements to women, infants and children up to age five).

If you're self-employed but want to make yourself eligible for unemployment. There are ways to do that like the aforementioned S-Corp, or you can volunteer to pay unemployment taxes, suggests D. Jill Pugh, an employment law attorney in Seattle who also has an employment law blog.

She points out that "unemployment benefit eligibility varies somewhat from state to state," so check with your state first rather than decide this is gospel. "Here in Washington," says Pugh, "a self-employed person could theoretically qualify for unemployment benefits, if they took time to register with the state and had been paying unemployment taxes." However, that doesn't happen often, says Pugh, and adds that there are other eligibility requirements as well.

Options for the self-employed...who feel unemployed

Enough is enough; I've let this play out long enough. For you wankers out there that think you know me, know this. I own my own home, and the taxpayer is not keeping me afloat.

I can't believe a simple, vague comment could generate so many self righteous, mean spirited comments.

For those of you with an open mind, I thank you; for the rest of you, get off the rag.

I can believe it as it happens all the time here. You know , the dishonest type that complian about their taxes that may go to help people that are actually in need. But instead of coming out with logical, rational reasons why they don't like those types of programs, they just have to lable anybody who supports them as lazy, or those wanting to get something for free and not have to work.Which is complete bullshit, just becausew someone is a liberal on issues of gov't assitance doesn't mean they have ever, nor ever will recieve them.

Wonder how many of the people crticizing those that don't take shit paying jobs have nice cush, high paying jobs and don't ever have to face what they criticize others for doing, or live in an area with such a low cost of living that a service job wage is livable

Heck they will insure anything, even actors lips and legs.
So we're off to LLoyds of London, eh? - :eusa_whistle:

Can self-employed people claim unemployment? Yes, and no. Mostly no. As Josh King, an attorney and vice-president of Avvo, a site designed to help people find the right lawyer, told me: "Unemployment law differs from state to state, but generally speaking, the self-employed are not eligible for unemployment benefits for a simple reason: They haven't paid into the state's unemployment insurance fund."

If you're self-employed and have an S-Corp, you can collect unemployment, but in that case, your corporation is paying you a salary and putting money into the state unemployment insurance program, says King, adding: "There is no free lunch."

Well, actually, you can have free lunch. You are eligible for benefits like food stamps, says King, adding that it's need-based, "depending on their income. Being self-employed does not disqualify them from these benefits." You're also eligible for Medicaid (health insurance for the unemployed and low-waged) and the WIC program (which provides nutrition and nutritional supplements to women, infants and children up to age five).

If you're self-employed but want to make yourself eligible for unemployment. There are ways to do that like the aforementioned S-Corp, or you can volunteer to pay unemployment taxes, suggests D. Jill Pugh, an employment law attorney in Seattle who also has an employment law blog.

She points out that "unemployment benefit eligibility varies somewhat from state to state," so check with your state first rather than decide this is gospel. "Here in Washington," says Pugh, "a self-employed person could theoretically qualify for unemployment benefits, if they took time to register with the state and had been paying unemployment taxes." However, that doesn't happen often, says Pugh, and adds that there are other eligibility requirements as well.

Options for the self-employed...who feel unemployed

I stand corrected....but what a stretch! I wonder which states those are. There would seem to be certain restrictions on that type of self serving system. Would one be able to qualiify for all benefits the same as any other person being layed off by someone other than themselves? As it says above "However, that doesn't happen often, says Pugh, and adds that there are other eligibility requirements as well."

Last edited:
We were at a convention center a few weeks ago and sawone of the areas used as a jobs conference with the Chamber sponsored by some government entity.
85% of the men there were in suit and tie and many had briefcases.
Most of the jobs were hands on work such as office assistant at $2500 to start with benefits.
We know many unemployed that will not accept many types of work unless it is a 9-5 job with benefits.
Folks, you have to look for what is available, NOT what you want.
Horse and buggy days are over.
I own a small business with 5 routes. Most of the people I hire is from word to mouth. The five people I have are all firends or family of the people I started out with. A great bunch to say the least. When I was looking for a couple people about two years ago, I inviewed about 15 people. Damn some people out there want to start making top money, great benefits, yet have no experience or knowledge of the job. One asshole even showed up that didnt even have a DL. Its a driving job!

So I am happy that I have a crew of people that work hard, are stable employees and dont have to deal with this mess.

But so many companies want experience but nevefr want to train people nor give them experience. I have a damn PhD and problem I'm having finding a job is lack of experience. I'm studying for hte patent bar to be a patent agent on top of my PhD, and I'm still going to have to volunteer to get "experience". How you expect to have a work force if nobody wants to train people?

Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading; I choose to stand and fight. If I were responsible for the current crisis, I'd bite the bullet and take what I could get. I'm not responsible, so I'll wait until I find what I consider to be acceptable, thank you very much!

I have recently found myself unemployed. I would be more than happy to accept employment in a position that is "below" my level of expertise, but truthfully, who is going to offer me a job as a convenience store clerk or some other position knowing that I would be seeking employment that more accurately fits my experience and qualifications and that the minute I find such employment, I will be moving on?

It is not that the position is "below" me, but rather that my experiences and qualifications call for a different position and no employer in his/her right mind is going to hire someone who is over qualified for the position.

Immie

That is a very good point. I played with the thought of working for the local vet cleaning kennels when I was out of work, before getting a job as a reporter. The vet was willing to hire me, but said up front that I was overqualified and it was a job for someone with less marketable skills. I think he was primarily concerned that I would take another job and they'd have to look for someone...again...to fill the position.

I ended up not taking the job and volunteering for a while at the animal shelter instead, and within a month or so had a job that suited my skills. And that stupid position at the shelter actually looked really good on my resume.

We were at a convention center a few weeks ago and sawone of the areas used as a jobs conference with the Chamber sponsored by some government entity.
Most of the jobs were hands on work such as office assistant at $2500 to start with benefits.
We know many unemployed that will not accept many types of work unless it is a 9-5 job with benefits.
I own a small business with 5 routes. Most of the people I hire is from word to mouth. The five people I have are all firends or family of the people I started out with. A great bunch to say the least. When I was looking for a couple people about two years ago, I inviewed about 15 people. Damn some people out there want to start making top money, great benefits, yet have no experience or knowledge of the job. One asshole even showed up that didnt even have a DL. Its a driving job!

So I am happy that I have a crew of people that work hard, are stable employees and dont have to deal with this mess.

But so many companies want experience but nevefr want to train people nor give them experience. I have a damn PhD and problem I'm having finding a job is lack of experience. I'm studying for hte patent bar to be a patent agent on top of my PhD, and I'm still going to have to volunteer to get "experience". How you expect to have a work force if nobody wants to train people?

I don't know whether or not you are a Medical doctor, but the medical profession happens to be one of the professions that is guilty of what you state. I have long thought it would be interesting to work as an accountant for a Doctor's office. Unfortunately, I cannot get such a position, because Medical Doctors are too stupid to figure out that it does not take a medical degree to learn how to perform the task of medical billing or that their accountant need not do the billing to perform the task of managing the practice.

Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading; I choose to stand and fight. If I were responsible for the current crisis, I'd bite the bullet and take what I could get. I'm not responsible, so I'll wait until I find what I consider to be acceptable, thank you very much!

I have recently found myself unemployed. I would be more than happy to accept employment in a position that is "below" my level of expertise, but truthfully, who is going to offer me a job as a convenience store clerk or some other position knowing that I would be seeking employment that more accurately fits my experience and qualifications and that the minute I find such employment, I will be moving on?

It is not that the position is "below" me, but rather that my experiences and qualifications call for a different position and no employer in his/her right mind is going to hire someone who is over qualified for the position.

Immie

That is a very good point. I played with the thought of working for the local vet cleaning kennels when I was out of work, before getting a job as a reporter. The vet was willing to hire me, but said up front that I was overqualified and it was a job for someone with less marketable skills. I think he was primarily concerned that I would take another job and they'd have to look for someone...again...to fill the position.

I ended up not taking the job and volunteering for a while at the animal shelter instead, and within a month or so had a job that suited my skills. And that stupid position at the shelter actually looked really good on my resume.

I've been considering volunteering (although I am not a dog fan and could never work in a kennel as the smell of dogs literally makes me sick) but, I'm not sure yet where my skills would fit in.

I should look in to some volunteer networks maybe? To find something that might just fit my abilities?

Immie

Last edited:
I get incensed when my students make fun of the cafeteria ladies or the people who work at McDonalds. They will be lucky to find jobs like that when they graduate. Clueless.

The.biggest amusement co in our area has to hire foreigners because the folks around here won't work for minimum wage. Its less shameful to scam the system.

Gillians?

I don't know whether or not you are a Medical doctor, but the medical profession happens to be one of the professions that is guilty of what you state. I have long thought it would be interesting to work as an accountant for a Doctor's office. Unfortunately, I cannot get such a position, because Medical Doctors are too stupid to figure out that it does not take a medical degree to learn how to perform the task of medical billing or that their accountant need not do the billing to perform the task of managing the practice.

Immie

I've been considering volunteering (although I am not a dog fan and could never work in a kennel as the smell of dogs literally makes me sick) but, I'm not sure yet where my skills would fit in.

I should look in to some volunteer networks maybe? To find something that might just fit my abilities?

Immie

Sure.
Salvation Army and other thrift stores are always looking for people to help.

But you can also volunteer for organizations like child welfare (we have a volunteer in our office) or legal aid...

Immie

Immie

Some govt agencies need volunteers to help out since they are so underfunded. Perhaps a senatorial aide position?

I've never considered my "skills" as being something that others could use. After all, why would an organization need the skills of an accountant? Surely, they don't want some volunteer "schmuck" tracking their funding.

Immie

Enough is enough; I've let this play out long enough. For you wankers out there that think you know me, know this. I own my own home, and the taxpayer is not keeping me afloat.

I can't believe a simple, vague comment could generate so many self righteous, mean spirited comments.

For those of you with an open mind, I thank you; for the rest of you, get off the rag.

Blah, blah, defensive, defensive. We don't "think we know you". We don't CARE to know you. All we need to know is that you made a boneheaded, indefensible remark and got your ass handed to you over it. Please do not feel the need to share your personal details with us in a lame attempt to justify yourself. Again, we don't care.

I have a family to care for. If we lose our income, you had better believe that I won't be sitting on MY dead ass, talking about how I'm "degraded" by working at anything legal and paying in order to feed my kids and keep a roof over their heads. But I guess that's the difference: You're too proud to work, and I'm too proud not to.

You know, I thought that way at first.

Then I heard an interview of a woman who said it was better for her to volunteer in her field than to have to explain a labor intensive job on her resume.

I came to understand that this is a either a class or cultural divide.

If I as a prospective employ received a resume with "ditch digger" listed and they explained they had to dig ditches to feed their family, I would view that as a positive attribute.

She felt that if she had to explain that she took a lower paying job to make ends meet to her prospective employers in the city, they would look down on that as a flaw.

Well, that's all very spiffy for her if she can afford to spend time not getting paid. Most of us sort of need the income. And frankly, I wouldn't want to work for anyone who thought honest labor was something to be ashamed of.

Do you really think that people want a job were they make only $2500?

As opposed to making $0 sitting on their ass, eating Cheetos and grousing because there are no jobs? They ought to.

Immie

Try a temp agency. They specialize in hiring people who are going to be seeking employment elsewhere.

Wonder how many of the people crticizing those that don't take shit paying jobs have nice cush, high paying jobs and don't ever have to face what they criticize others for doing, or live in an area with such a low cost of living that a service job wage is livable

Here's one, dumbass. Don't you ever get tired of talking through your colon?

Immie

Which, despite the fact that CS the moron is applauding, is completely different from HIS ignorant remark. HE said that he was degraded by certain work and wouldn't do it. You're saying you're willing to do it, but can't get hired.

Immie

Sure.
Salvation Army and other thrift stores are always looking for people to help.

But you can also volunteer for organizations like child welfare (we have a volunteer in our office) or legal aid...

Most cities also have volunteer programs for things like adult literacy and education, which look quite good on a resume as well.

I've never considered my "skills" as being something that others could use. After all, why would an organization need the skills of an accountant? Surely, they don't want some volunteer "schmuck" tracking their funding.

Immie

Organizations that rely heavily on volunteers usually have a regular paid accountant, but they can still use volunteer help with people who have good math and bookkeeping skills.

Immie

Which, despite the fact that CS the moron is applauding, is completely different from HIS ignorant remark. HE said that he was degraded by certain work and wouldn't do it. You're saying you're willing to do it, but can't get hired.

Actually what I was trying to say is that it makes sense that some employers are reluctant to hire over-qualified workers.

Forum List

Back