Want work? Accept a job.

We were at a convention center a few weeks ago and sawone of the areas used as a jobs conference with the Chamber sponsored by some government entity.
85% of the men there were in suit and tie and many had briefcases.
Most of the jobs were hands on work such as office assistant at $2500 to start with benefits.
We know many unemployed that will not accept many types of work unless it is a 9-5 job with benefits.
Folks, you have to look for what is available, NOT what you want.
Horse and buggy days are over.

Yep settle for less.
less with no insurance and poor Tiny Tim needing an operation.

So youd rather watch Tiny Tim starve than provide for him? How nice...

I'm surprised by the posts that follow mine, especially the one that hints at my losing privileges. Who made you judge and jury; I am entitled to my opinion.

I've worked very hard all my life, putting in an average of 60 hours per week for the past 40 years. And so, having put in my time, I will determine what I believe I deserve.

I wouldn't consider my post a case of my being a whinging (that's whining) loser; some one must be envious of my unwillingness to settle for something less.

Got it, you're a lazy elitist snob.

Where did you get lazy elitist snob out of what he said? Working 60 hours a week is not lazy. Having your own personal standards is not lazy. If he IS living off his own savings account, what's it to ANYONE here?

(And if you think HE'S a lazy snob, I can just imagine what you'd think of me should I ever lose MY job.) :eusa_whistle:

We were at a convention center a few weeks ago and sawone of the areas used as a jobs conference with the Chamber sponsored by some government entity.
Most of the jobs were hands on work such as office assistant at $2500 to start with benefits.
We know many unemployed that will not accept many types of work unless it is a 9-5 job with benefits.

Yep settle for less.
less with no insurance and poor Tiny Tim needing an operation.

So youd rather watch Tiny Tim starve than provide for him? How nice...

Less to me means focusing on what is really needed and not just what is wanted.

Many businesses that depend on shiny status raising posessions will be in trouble.

Americans have become brainwashed by corps that you are nothing unless you have our product.
Our sense of self worth has become what we have not what we are.

Last edited:
Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading; I choose to stand and fight. If I were responsible for the current crisis, I'd bite the bullet and take what I could get. I'm not responsible, so I'll wait until I find what I consider to be acceptable, thank you very much!

Pride goeth before the fall.

Better is humility of spirit with the poor, Than to apportion spoil with the proud.

There is nothing degrading about work of any kind.

What you don't seem to get is that you "deserve" nothing. You are entitled to nothing.

Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading; I choose to stand and fight. If I were responsible for the current crisis, I'd bite the bullet and take what I could get. I'm not responsible, so I'll wait until I find what I consider to be acceptable, thank you very much!

Better is humility of spirit with the poor, Than to apportion spoil with the proud.

What you don't seem to get is that you "deserve" nothing. You are entitled to nothing.

A big amen on that.

Never run down anyone because of their job.
Well except maybe for politicians, lawyers and evangelists.

A big amen on that.

Don't forget activists and lobbyists

A big amen on that.

Don't forget activists and lobbyists

Ahh if we can just get that lobbyist ear tag law passed.

Actually I believe that this attutide is somewhat acceptable for about 26 weeks after you lose your job. If after 26 weeks you have not found a job you can start living of your savings that you accumulated over your 40 years of working 60 hours a week until you have no savings or property left in your name. If you have yet to find a job you "deserve" there are churches that may feed you meals, charaties that may give you clothes, family members that may take you in, but you deserve nothing.

Last edited:
I'm surprised by the posts that follow mine, especially the one that hints at my losing privileges. Who made you judge and jury; I am entitled to my opinion.

I've worked very hard all my life, putting in an average of 60 hours per week for the past 40 years. And so, having put in my time, I will determine what I believe I deserve.

I wouldn't consider my post a case of my being a whinging (that's whining) loser; some one must be envious of my unwillingness to settle for something less.

And we're entitled to OUR opinions, which are that you are a jackass who deserves to be poor.

Whinge - Etymology: Middle English *whingen, from Old English hwinsian; akin to Old High German winsōn to moan
Date: 12th century
British : to complain fretfully : whine

Don't EVER flatter yourself that you can correct my grammar, asswipe.

Enough is enough; I've let this play out long enough. For you wankers out there that think you know me, know this. I own my own home, and the taxpayer is not keeping me afloat.

I can't believe a simple, vague comment could generate so many self righteous, mean spirited comments.

For those of you with an open mind, I thank you; for the rest of you, get off the rag.

You know, I thought that way at first.

Then I heard an interview of a woman who said it was better for her to volunteer in her field than to have to explain a labor intensive job on her resume.

I came to understand that this is a either a class or cultural divide.

If I as a prospective employ received a resume with "ditch digger" listed and they explained they had to dig ditches to feed their family, I would view that as a positive attribute.

She felt that if she had to explain that she took a lower paying job to make ends meet to her prospective employers in the city, they would look down on that as a flaw.

Last edited:
I own a small business with 5 routes. Most of the people I hire is from word to mouth. The five people I have are all firends or family of the people I started out with. A great bunch to say the least. When I was looking for a couple people about two years ago, I inviewed about 15 people. Damn some people out there want to start making top money, great benefits, yet have no experience or knowledge of the job. One asshole even showed up that didnt even have a DL. Its a driving job!

So I am happy that I have a crew of people that work hard, are stable employees and dont have to deal with this mess.

Last edited:
I own a small business with 5 routes. Most of the people I hire is from word to mouth. The five people I have are all firends or family of the people I started out with. A great bunch to say the least. When I was looking for a couple people about two years ago, I inviewed about 15 people. Damn some people out there want to start making top money, great benefits, yet have no experience or knowledge of the job. One asshole even showed up that didnt even have a DL. Its a driving job!

So I am happy that I have a crew of people that work hard, are stable employees and dont have to deal with this mess.

I'm pleased to hear that you are compensating your employees so well and I truly wish your company continued success. :clap2:

I don't know how many here appreciate this fact , and it may not have much relevancy to this thread but keep in mind folks, that self employed people do not qualify for unemployment compensation of any kind. They are always on their own hook. Times like these make them more and more cognizant of their competition.

I don't know how many here appreciate this fact , and it may not have much relevancy to this thread but keep in mind folks, that self employed people do not qualify for unemployment compensation of any kind. They are always on their own hook. Times like these make them more and more cognizant of their competition.

True but I am sure some insurance company would sell them unimployment insurance if they wanted it.

True but I am sure some insurance company would sell them unimployment insurance if they wanted it.
Are you sure about that? Or is that a rhetorical comment without substantiation? My commercial agent says no such insurance is sold. The closest that would come to such a policy is a policy for disability, which would be due to medical reasons, and W.C. insurance which is payed for by the employer, and would also be a disability due to medical reasons.

Last edited:

Is that rhetorical or are you sure about that? Or is that a rhetorical comment without substantiation? My commercial agent says no such insurance is sold. The closest that would come to such a policy is a policy for disability, which would be due to medical reasons, and W.C. insurance which is payed for by the employer, and would also be a disability due to medical reasons.

Heck they will insure anything, even actors lips and legs.

Is that rhetorical or are you sure about that? Or is that a rhetorical comment without substantiation? My commercial agent says no such insurance is sold. The closest that would come to such a policy is a policy for disability, which would be due to medical reasons, and W.C. insurance which is payed for by the employer, and would also be a disability due to medical reasons.

Heck they will insure anything, even actors lips and legs.
So we're off to LLoyds of London, eh? - :eusa_whistle:

Do you really think that people want a job were they make only $2500?

I have recently found myself unemployed. I would be more than happy to accept employment in a position that is "below" my level of expertise, but truthfully, who is going to offer me a job as a convenience store clerk or some other position knowing that I would be seeking employment that more accurately fits my experience and qualifications and that the minute I find such employment, I will be moving on?

It is not that the position is "below" me, but rather that my experiences and qualifications call for a different position and no employer in his/her right mind is going to hire someone who is over qualified for the position.

Immie

Forum List

Back