Want work? Accept a job.

Enough is enough; I've let this play out long enough. For you wankers out there that think you know me, know this. I own my own home, and the taxpayer is not keeping me afloat.

I can't believe a simple, vague comment could generate so many self righteous, mean spirited comments.

For those of you with an open mind, I thank you; for the rest of you, get off the rag.

Blah, blah, defensive, defensive. We don't "think we know you". We don't CARE to know you. All we need to know is that you made a boneheaded, indefensible remark and got your ass handed to you over it. Please do not feel the need to share your personal details with us in a lame attempt to justify yourself. Again, we don't care.

I have a family to care for. If we lose our income, you had better believe that I won't be sitting on MY dead ass, talking about how I'm "degraded" by working at anything legal and paying in order to feed my kids and keep a roof over their heads. But I guess that's the difference: You're too proud to work, and I'm too proud not to.

Amazing how you can be so judgmental base on a simple statement without any real facts surrounding that statement. What are you clairvoyant or just a self righteous jerk?
I'm personally voting for self righteous jerk since I don't believe in clairvoyance.

We were at a convention center a few weeks ago and sawone of the areas used as a jobs conference with the Chamber sponsored by some government entity.
85% of the men there were in suit and tie and many had briefcases.
Most of the jobs were hands on work such as office assistant at $2500 to start with benefits.
We know many unemployed that will not accept many types of work unless it is a 9-5 job with benefits.
Folks, you have to look for what is available, NOT what you want.
Horse and buggy days are over.
$2500 for an office assistant?

Where do you live that they get paid that much money?

We were at a convention center a few weeks ago and sawone of the areas used as a jobs conference with the Chamber sponsored by some government entity.
85% of the men there were in suit and tie and many had briefcases.
Most of the jobs were hands on work such as office assistant at $2500 to start with benefits.
We know many unemployed that will not accept many types of work unless it is a 9-5 job with benefits.
Folks, you have to look for what is available, NOT what you want.
Horse and buggy days are over.
I own a small business with 5 routes. Most of the people I hire is from word to mouth. The five people I have are all firends or family of the people I started out with. A great bunch to say the least. When I was looking for a couple people about two years ago, I inviewed about 15 people. Damn some people out there want to start making top money, great benefits, yet have no experience or knowledge of the job. One asshole even showed up that didnt even have a DL. Its a driving job!

So I am happy that I have a crew of people that work hard, are stable employees and dont have to deal with this mess.

But so many companies want experience but nevefr want to train people nor give them experience. I have a damn PhD and problem I'm having finding a job is lack of experience. I'm studying for hte patent bar to be a patent agent on top of my PhD, and I'm still going to have to volunteer to get "experience". How you expect to have a work force if nobody wants to train people?

I dont mind training someone but dont expect top pay right off. Most of my people make from anywhere from 42K to 50k once assigned to a route. Some route pay more but you have to do more work. Its mostly commission from their daily sells. They get a small base pay but its not enough to live off of. Everyone of my employees started with very little or no experience. All were trained. The training pay was 500 a week. Its usually takes 6 weeks to learn the route and how to be a successful salesman before I will turn you loose by yourself. So there are jobs out there that will train, but most people cannot afford to go through the training process when you make next to nothing for weeks on end.

Child welfare receptionists make that much money.

The more you have to more you get.

I dont know how true this is but I heard that some welfare moms that have 5 kids are bringing in 4000 a month. They get like 750 per kid plus whatever they get for themselves. not counting Food Stamps, WIC and public housing. Why would they want to work when you have the govt taking care of you?

I am probably going to come off on both sides of this issue.

I told my story before.

I am in Michigan which has been really hard hit.

I have a MBA.

I was for a time a real estate agent, and the real estate market went south.

I had a very hard time finding a job. I sold shirts and ties at a department store and did other things. I had a very time finding employment as well at times. I applied at grocery stores and other sorts of places.

I took a job doing door to door sales on commission only. I was out there in all weather going house to house.

I went on road trips. I left on Monday and returned home Friday night.

I created my own business, and hired sales people.

About two years ago my wife and were really broke. I got very nervous going to the store to buy lettuce.

However, in the last two years my complany really took off. My personal income grew 12X since that time, and I am now in the top 3% of income. I am very soon expanding into my third state

I take nothing for granted though, and I know anything can change.

However, it gets my angry that quite a few times in my door to door sales I ran into people who would tell me their tale of woe of losing their job, being out of work for about three years, yadda, yadda, yadda. Many of these people I offered a job, doing exactly what I am doing. And almost all of them refused.

This angers me. I think that they should at least try it. However, they feel that door knocking is beneath them. Lazy mother fuckers.

The reason I am on both sides, is because I truely feel for those who genuinely look for a job and can't find one, and I have anger for those who refuse to take what they feel is "beneath them".

I M 54. At age 17 I went to work full time in 1973. In 1979 I owned my own home at age 23. Everyone said I was insane because I bought a house in an area of white flight. Some great folks were my neighbors there. All a different color than me. I started college in 1978 and graduated in 1985. Started my own business in 1983. Built my own home in 1983 here in north Georgia with 12 acres. Paid it all off in 1992. Free and clear.
Drove old cars for many years. I have 225K on my vehicle now.
I cleaned toilets at age 19 and 20 for a company that cleaned office buildings. I ran errands and sold shoes for the old Kinney shoe company. In 1979 I started as a gopher for a large law firm in Atlanta. In 1983 I left there as lead investigator.
Today I own a detective agency and an investment company. Last week I went and picked up 6 boxes of files and delivered it to a law firm for $100. $ is $ and I M worth 2 mil.
Sit on your ass and wait for work and you will never achieve your potential. People like to see agressive seekers of work. Most of my clients are young lawyers now.
Never turn away work and you will go far. All 3 of my kids go to school and they all work.

I think that's a great story. Congratulations.

Enough is enough; I've let this play out long enough. For you wankers out there that think you know me, know this. I own my own home, and the taxpayer is not keeping me afloat.

I can't believe a simple, vague comment could generate so many self righteous, mean spirited comments.

For those of you with an open mind, I thank you; for the rest of you, get off the rag.

Blah, blah, defensive, defensive. We don't "think we know you". We don't CARE to know you. All we need to know is that you made a boneheaded, indefensible remark and got your ass handed to you over it. Please do not feel the need to share your personal details with us in a lame attempt to justify yourself. Again, we don't care.

I have a family to care for. If we lose our income, you had better believe that I won't be sitting on MY dead ass, talking about how I'm "degraded" by working at anything legal and paying in order to feed my kids and keep a roof over their heads. But I guess that's the difference: You're too proud to work, and I'm too proud not to.

I wasn't being defensive, not in the slightest. So tell me, you speak for everyone now? You really shouldn't, since you haven't got a clue as to what you're talking about. You know, you should try taking a bath in baking soda because you're one caustic bitch.

Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading; I choose to stand and fight. If I were responsible for the current crisis, I'd bite the bullet and take what I could get. I'm not responsible, so I'll wait until I find what I consider to be acceptable, thank you very much!

I have recently found myself unemployed. I would be more than happy to accept employment in a position that is "below" my level of expertise, but truthfully, who is going to offer me a job as a convenience store clerk or some other position knowing that I would be seeking employment that more accurately fits my experience and qualifications and that the minute I find such employment, I will be moving on?

It is not that the position is "below" me, but rather that my experiences and qualifications call for a different position and no employer in his/her right mind is going to hire someone who is over qualified for the position.

Immie

That's a problem I think I ran into.

Leave stuff off your resume.

The reason I am on both sides, is because I truely feel for those who genuinely look for a job and can't find one, and I have anger for those who refuse to take what they feel is "beneath them".

I completely understand your sentiments, but I think the real problem is people are looking for work instead of creating it. People expect things to come to them but wont do anything.

A couple years ago when I got out of law school I had no prospects. I had great grades and was on one of the law journals for the school, but no one was hiring. I think i got one interview after applying to countless places. I was so tired of not working that I decided, I've got a law degree, Ill just start my own firm. And it was in the process of looking into how to do that that I found my current job. But I wouldnt have found it if i sat on my butt waiting for someone to hire me.

A side note that isnt totally relevant. I didnt start my firm then. I figured getting some experience and some consistant pay would be wiser at that time. But It's still on my to do list. Im not going to remain where I am all my life. I am going to make my own destiny.

I completely understand your sentiments, but I think the real problem is people are looking for work instead of creating it. People expect things to come to them but wont do anything.

A couple years ago when I got out of law school I had no prospects. I had great grades and was on one of the law journals for the school, but no one was hiring. I think i got one interview after applying to countless places. I was so tired of not working that I decided, I've got a law degree, Ill just start my own firm. And it was in the process of looking into how to do that that I found my current job. But I wouldnt have found it if i sat on my butt waiting for someone to hire me.

A side note that isnt totally relevant. I didnt start my firm then. I figured getting some experience and some consistant pay would be wiser at that time. But It's still on my to do list. Im not going to remain where I am all my life. I am going to make my own destiny.

:clap2:

That is a very good point. I played with the thought of working for the local vet cleaning kennels when I was out of work, before getting a job as a reporter. The vet was willing to hire me, but said up front that I was overqualified and it was a job for someone with less marketable skills. I think he was primarily concerned that I would take another job and they'd have to look for someone...again...to fill the position.

I ended up not taking the job and volunteering for a while at the animal shelter instead, and within a month or so had a job that suited my skills. And that stupid position at the shelter actually looked really good on my resume.

Which, despite the fact that CS the moron is applauding, is completely different from HIS ignorant remark. HE said that he was degraded by certain work and wouldn't do it. You're saying you're willing to do it, but can't get hired.

Actually what I was trying to say is that it makes sense that some employers are reluctant to hire over-qualified workers.

I know. I'm agreeing with you, and adding that that's quite different from CS saying that he would feel "degrading" by even asking.

Amazing how you can be so judgmental base on a simple statement without any real facts surrounding that statement. What are you clairvoyant or just a self righteous jerk?
I'm personally voting for self righteous jerk since I don't believe in clairvoyance.

Don't blame ME if you have such a muddled mind that you can't come to a clear judgement about things. "Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading" isn't exactly a huge stumper to figure out.

Don't blame ME if you have such a muddled mind that you can't come to a clear judgement about things. "Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading" isn't exactly a huge stumper to figure out.

I'm just amazed that you are making a judgment based on so little information. And no it's not "a huge stumper" as long as you are reading tea leaves.

I wasn't being defensive, not in the slightest. So tell me, you speak for everyone now?
Yeah, whatever. "I'll have you know that I'm [fill in the blank]" isn't the LEAST bit defensive. :eusa_liar:

You really shouldn't, since you haven't got a clue as to what you're talking about.

"Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading". That's all I NEED a clue about, loser, but by all means, keep backpedaling and pretending you haven't made a fool of yourself. But do it on someone else's dime, because now you bore me.

You know, you should try taking a bath in baking soda because you're one caustic bitch.

LOL Yes, because I'm DYING for advice on how to get a self-absorbed loser like you to like me better. The goal of my existence.

You should try getting over yourself.

You said you wanted "what you deserve". Well, I'll be less caustic when you deserve it. That day isn't today.

Last edited:

I'm just amazed that you are making a judgment based on so little information. And no it's not "a huge stumper" as long as you are reading tea leaves.

I'm just amazed that you need more information to make a judgement as to whether or not a statement is stupid, much less that you think it requires ESP.

Actually, I wish I WAS amazed, but I'm becoming accustomed to the fact that more and more people are incapable of forming a coherent opinion about anything any more.

"Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading" is a stupid statement. I don't need to know any more than the statement itself to know that it's stupid. Period.

I'm just amazed that you need more information to make a judgement as to whether or not a statement is stupid, much less that you think it requires ESP.

Actually, I wish I WAS amazed, but I'm becoming accustomed to the fact that more and more people are incapable of forming a coherent opinion about anything any more.

"Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading" is a stupid statement. I don't need to know any more than the statement itself to know that it's stupid. Period.

Rational people form coherent opinions based on fact not interpretive projection. You've made your pet peeve known, BFD...........

Rational people form coherent opinions based on fact not interpretive projection. You've made your pet peeve known, BFD...........

Rational people are a myth. No one is rational. It's impossible to make rational decisions when we are in a state of ignorance. We don't know the information we are unaware of and thus we can never truly be rational.

Not to mention emotions and hormones effect everyone who isn't dead.

Rational people are a myth. No one is rational. It's impossible to make rational decisions when we are in a state of ignorance. We don't know the information we are unaware of and thus we can never truly be rational.

Not to mention emotions and hormones effect everyone who isn't dead.

Other than the fact that you posted the (mostly) obvious (but not always), what's your point?

Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading; I choose to stand and fight. If I were responsible for the current crisis, I'd bite the bullet and take what I could get. I'm not responsible, so I'll wait until I find what I consider to be acceptable, thank you very much!

Who exactly decides what you deserve? What makes you better than anyone else?

You missed his point.

Forum List

Back