Walther PPK/S for concealed carry

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
Here's what I've gathered from the arguments for and against it.

Pro:
- accurate
- extremely high quality
- safety/double hammer option
- badass 007 gun

Cons:
- heavy
- slide bite (supposedly fixed in newer models)

Anyways I want one. I'm probably going to buy one for Christmas. My dad is saying don't do it and he'll sell me his Sig Sauer P232 instead for a lot cheaper.

Any opinions? I don't currently own a 'conceal carry' type of gun because I didn't see the point. But I bought tickets to the opening day of the new Star Wars movie and my imaginations run wild enough that I think I want to have one for when I go. If you're wondering I already have a license because I've gone to all the classes with my dad.

I'm going to buy one of those 2 in the next week and a half. Thoughts?

At what range in what sort of light do you imagine using whatever weapon you take? I'd have thought hi lume sights of some description for a dark movie theatre and hitting targets at 25 metres. Is that a fair assessment and is the PPK any good for that?

Pro:
- accurate
- extremely high quality
- badass 007 gun

Cons:
- heavy

Anyways I want one. I'm probably going to buy one for Christmas. My dad is saying don't do it and he'll sell me his Sig Sauer P232 instead for a lot cheaper.

Any opinions? I don't currently own a 'conceal carry' type of gun because I didn't see the point. But I bought tickets to the opening day of the new Star Wars movie and my imaginations run wild enough that I think I want to have one for when I go. If you're wondering I already have a license because I've gone to all the classes with my dad.

If you're the kind of person who at any point in your research says "badass 007 gun" then by all means go for it. When you get killed, don't be angry everybody laughs at your corpse remarking "what a dumbass."

In the '80s Army Intelligence and the SAS trialed the PPK chambered in .380 as a concealed carry weapon in N. Ireland and it was found to have woefully inadequate stopping power.

Pro:
- accurate
- extremely high quality
- badass 007 gun

Cons:
- heavy

I would rather have the PPQ

walther-ppks-ppq.jpg

The PPK is a good gun, but it is a backup gun as I see it. A secondary go to. It fits a primary role only in a few occasions - like with beach wear, jogging down the street. Other than that the PPK "Mouse Gun" is only effective with certain loads - but it is effective. If I had a chance to get one cheap or on a good deal I would take it - but to use as a primary gun........nah.

If I had a PPK, I would want it in .22 caliber. Cheaper and more resourceful than its competitor.

Shadow 355

Last edited:
My CCW is a Glock 23. Why? I've shooting one for years so I'm comfortable and accurate with it. It's kinda too big for CCW but again, I'm good with it so that all that really matters.

I've heard that some people with smaller hands like Sig Sauer because they're small weapons and that s fine, but it all comes down to whatever you are comfortable with and can shoot accurately with.

So for me, I'll always be a Glock guy.

Before you carry to a theater, you should check their carry policy. All the theaters around where I live are gun free zones...so if anyone is carrying a gun into the theater they will either be off duty cops or killers.

I carried a walther PP in NY for several years. a well made gun but I switched when I got sick of reblueing the gun from CC wear.

The biggest nock against the Walther PP PPK or PPK/s is that the double action-the first commercially successful double action in history, is very heavy for such a small gun. Its also heavy for the firepower-a Glock in 380 is much lighter and much easier to shoot accurately. same with the single action SIG 238 or the similar Kimber.

I have two PPs in 22 and they are great camping guns. But my PP in 380 and a PPK I also have in 380 are mainly safe queens now

I used to own a Bersa Thunder 380. It's a Walther PPK clone. It was a great gun. It was pretty accurate and reliable. It was also easy for me to conceal. I will say that the .380 hydra shok ammo is some nasty stuff. Anyone thinking it has inadequate stopping power should volunteer to be shot by one. Just make sure your life insurance is current.

the quality of modern 380 ammo makes its stopping power in the 60% range which is the same for most pistol ammo up to the really abusive stuff

the quality of modern 380 ammo makes its stopping power in the 60% range which is the same for most pistol ammo up to the really abusive stuff

At the time of 7:30 ; he shoots a two Litre of liquid with a 380 caliber.

The damage is nothing to sneeze at - the .380s niche is in its velocity.

Shadow 355

I used to own a Bersa Thunder 380. It's a Walther PPK clone. It was a great gun. It was pretty accurate and reliable. It was also easy for me to conceal. I will say that the .380 hydra shok ammo is some nasty stuff. Anyone thinking it has inadequate stopping power should volunteer to be shot by one. Just make sure your life insurance is current.
I thought about that one but I figured since I have the money I might as well go for the one I really want.

At the time of 7:30 ; he shoots a two Litre of liquid with a 380 caliber.

The damage is nothing to sneeze at - the .380s niche is in its velocity.

Shadow 355

That guy has some great videos. His one about the PPK/S is what got me thinking about it.

Bond, James Bond.

I'm not familiar with Walthers, I've never owned or even shot one. If you can conceal it comfortably, and shoot it well, then it's the gun for you.

Living in Florida, I can't carry a large gun. I spent a great deal of my carry time in a t-shirt and shorts. My gun must be light weight and have a small profile.

The Sig Saur hands down. Why? Sigs are one of the best pistols you can ever buy. They are durable as hell, accurate and the P232 is ideal for concealed carry (light, small, no 'hard' edges)
I think I'm just going to wait before buying. I've fired the Sig Sauer a million times, and never shot a PPK so I will wait until I do. I wanted one for tonight's Star Wars premiere but I ended up just not buying anything lol. If I survive I'll keep looking into it.

Here's a cool video:

Forum List

Back