Walter Cronkite -- Dead at 92

there used to be a joke going around when i was growing up about "...the only guy u would trust ur kid with" was Walter Cronkite-- the SOB retired WAY too soon and we got Rather-- shame really-- but we soldier on with "Legs" Couric-- Regards, probus

I remember him and the CBS news during the Vietnam war, the moon landings . He came out against the war. He hosted a show, called "The Twenty First Century", my favorite program of the sixties. He reminds me of my late great old man. Accept, my old man got a Purple Heart.

True Journalism is like a long lost art. Like someone else said, the journalists of today just want to be media stars.

It's that but also, it's the fact they let their politics influence their telling of the news. The greatest two examples being Fox News as the home to Republicans and MSNBC as the home to Democrats.

Journalists like Cronkite, Murrow, Woodward, and Bernstein (especially the first two) are such a rare breed now a days.

It reminds me so much of one of my favorite movies, Network.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6yq5O8GXUo&feature=related]YouTube - "Network" (1976) Howard Beale "Mad As Hell" Speech[/ame]

Interesting fact: Walter's daughter Kathy had a role as the Patty Hearst like terrorist in this movie.

Went out to eat tonight and they had Fox News on the tv in the bar...Fox isn't fit to polish Cronkite's shoes.

He certainly was an icon with the American people. I remember the day JFK was assasinated and was watching Cronkite break down on national television. It was a moving moment in America. He probably was the one defining person who helped end the war in Viet Nam. He moved America against the war with his broadcast. I'm not making it an issue one way or another, but this is the kind of impact the man had on America.

https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~ebolt/history398/Cronkite_1968.html

Last edited:
Wiki instantly updated I see:
Walter Cronkite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Prayers to his family.

I don't mean any disrespect to Walter but shouldn't the story be more important than the reporter? Too many reporters are TV stars nowadays, Cronkite included.

Cronkite was a star only because he actually reported the news with little bias. And that is the reason he was so trusted by America.

"You can learn more by watching 'Let's Make a Deal' than you can by watching Walter Cronkite for a month." ~~ Archie Bunker

All In The Family was a great show, but it was a satire of some backward thinking Americans. I have a hunch you're not going to last very long around here.

Good grief, he quit public life 30 years ago. That's longer than most of the posters lauding him have been alive.

Though it is gratifying to note that even liberal assholes recognize objectivity when they see it .... which reminds me that they know how asinine they are, themselves.

For me he was one of the great voices (and I mean "voice" in its figurative sense) of American journalism. The other was, ironically, a Brit, Alistair Cooke. It might seem ridiculous to Americans but when I heard Cronkite's voice it was like hearing the voice of America (no, not that Voice of America), the true America, not what the government of the day was portraying as America.

Calm, measured, authoritative without being authoritarian. If the definition of rescue was "it's okay, the Americans have arrived", then the voice-over for the rescue would have to have been done by Cronkite.

Vale Walter Cronkite, you were a great American.

Cronkite's greatness was that he was an honorable man...

This is the man about whom Richard Nixon said "if we've lost Walter Cronkite, we've lost the war"...

He can be the story one last time. He earned it.

Are you sure it was Nixon who said that?

I honestly cannot recall. Hmmm ..................

"Princess" Jillian, far be it for me to correct you, but, you might wish to look towards LBJ.

For some of us American of a certain age, Walter Croncite was THE NEWS.

We trusted him in a way that I doubt you younger folks can possibly understand.

Given what the MSM has become, one can hardly blame youngsters for not understanding that at one time Americans actually trusted the media, and WC WAS that media we could trust as far as most of us were concerned.

When we mourn Croncite, many of us are really also mourning the end of a media we can trust.

Forum List

Back