Walter Cronkite -- Dead at 92

There are people who follow in his footsteps. Tim Russert was like that, too. But it was an era when news divisions didn't make huge money and no one bought up huge amounts of media to propagandize and punditize the news.

Good riddance.

If you want to know why "Journalism" is so fucked up to the extent that it no longer exists, blame Kronkite and his call against our men and women fighting in Vietnam.

After that every reporter wanted to make his bones by altering history like that douchebag Dan Rather.

Fuck him.

Asteroid 6318 Cronkhite is a Mars-crossing Asteroid discovered Nov 18 1990 by E.F. Helin at Palomar Observatory - Walter Cronkhite, the namesake of Asteroid 6318 died yesterday, July 17, 2009. Cronkhite was probably the most eloquent and constant media voice for the space program during its early years - projects Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo

And, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
And pay no worship to the garish sun...

( Words from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, carried with a
vial of ashes of Gene Shoemaker to burial place on the moon)

Journalism has lost one of it's greatest today. He lived a long life but his imprint upon Journalism is what we need more of today.

Agreed.

True Journalism is like a long lost art. Like someone else said, the journalists of today just want to be media stars.

It's not lost. It's merely no longer rewarded.

MSM and especially newpapers (which once actually did honest investigative journalism) are dying.

And if we won't pay people to be investigative journalists, then the purpose they once served lost.

Most newpapers now seem to think that taking an announcment from a corporation or government is journalism.

Following up on those to see if the reports are nonsense is laborious and expensive and the money is no longer invested in doing that.

We used to have news reported to us

Now mostly we just get propaganda written by paid hacks and rewritten by newpaper hacks who aren't encouraged to see if what they're printing bears any relationship to reality.

For some of us American of a certain age, Walter Croncite was THE NEWS.

We trusted him in a way that I doubt you younger folks can possibly understand.

Given what the MSM has become, one can hardly blame youngsters for not understanding that at one time Americans actually trusted the media, and WC WAS that media we could trust as far as most of us were concerned.

When we mourn Croncite, many of us are really also mourning the end of a media we can trust.

Your spot on. There was something about his voice that resonated that feeling of trust, too. You felt like you were being told the truth. I went to see a play in New York, once, only because he was narrating.

Good riddance.

If you want to know why "Journalism" is so fucked up to the extent that it no longer exists, blame Kronkite and his call against our men and women fighting in Vietnam.

After that every reporter wanted to make his bones by altering history like that douchebag Dan Rather.

Fuck him.

when you find a subject you know something about, feel free to offer an opinion.

until then, shut your festering gob.

thanks

It seems to many of us that if we are to avoid the eventual catastrophic world conflict we must strengthen the United Nations as a first step toward a world government patterned after our own government with a legislature, executive and judiciary, and police to enforce its international laws and keep the peace.

To do that, of course, we Americans will have to yield up some of our sovereignty. That would be a bitter pill. It would take a lot of courage, a lot of faith in the new order.

Cronkite 1999

Cronkite’s closing remarks on Nov. 25, 1963, after Kennedy’s funeral.

"It is said that the human mind has a greater capacity for remembering the pleasant than the unpleasant.

"But today was a day that will live in memory and in grief. Only history can write the importance of this day: Were these dark days the harbingers of even blacker ones to come, or like the black before the dawn shall they lead to some still as yet indiscernible sunrise of understanding among men, that violent words, no matter what their origin or motivation, can lead only to violent deeds?

"This is the larger question that will be answered, in part, in the manner that a shaken civilization seeks the answers to the immediate question: Who, and most importantly what, was Lee Harvey Oswald? The world’s doubts must be put to rest.

"Tonight there will be few Americans who will go to bed without carrying with them the sense that somehow they have failed.

"If in the search of our conscience we find a new dedication to the American concepts that brook no political, sectional, religious or racial divisions, then maybe it may yet be possible to say that John Fitzgerald Kennedy did not die in vain."

"That’s the way it is, Monday Nov. 25, 1963. This is Walter Cronkite, good night."

http://news.bostonherald.com/busine...&format=&page=3&listingType=media#articleFull

Good riddance.

Fuck him.

Cronkite’s editorial on the Vietnam War, February 1968.

"We have been too often disappointed by the optimism of the American leaders, both in Vietnam and Washington, to have faith any longer in the silver linings they find in the darkest clouds. ...

"It seems now more certain than ever that the bloody experience of Vietnam is to end in a stalemate. This summer’s almost certain standoff will either end in real give-and-take negotiations or terrible escalation. And for every means we have to escalate, the enemy can match us, and that applies to invasion of the north, the use of nuclear weapons, or the mere commitment of 100 or 200 or 300,000 more American troops to the battle. And with each escalation, the world comes closer to cosmic disaster.

"To say that we are closer to victory today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have been wrong in the past. To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism. To say that we are mired in stalemate seems the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory, conclusion. ... It is increasingly clear to this reporter that the only rational way out, then, will be to negotiate, not as victors, but as an honorable people who lived up to their pledge to defend democracy and did they best they could."

please show me the part where he disrespects u.s. servicemen and women, krusader.

thanks

http://news.bostonherald.com/busine...&format=&page=3&listingType=media#articleFull

I still don't get why JFK death was an emotional time. JFK was not a good man and was a horrible president. Yes it is sad when anyone is killed but its not like he should have been some time of hero same with Obama.

I still don't get why JFK death was an emotional time. JFK was not a good man and was a horrible president. Yes it is sad when anyone is killed but its not like he should have been some time of hero same with Obama.

i'm sure there's a lot of stuff you don't get, including enough oxygen to your brain.

thanks for checking in.

"You can learn more by watching 'Let's Make a Deal' than you can by watching Walter Cronkite for a month." ~~ Archie Bunker

Wonderful! I dare say that if Archie were still alive or on the air, he would be watching FOX 24/7.

Sorry if I broke the mood...

First of all, JFK was an extrmely popular POTUS.

Secondly, back in those days Americans really respected our government.

I know that might be hard for some of you to believe, but at one time Americans saw their government as a force for good.

I've been witness to the gradual erosion of this nation as a power that the world and its own citizens respect.

Basically those of us old enough to remember what this nation once was weap for what it has become.

And yes, I blame the co called liberals no less than the so called conservatives for this decline in Americans former national identity.

Where the government was something we once respected, it is now something most of us fear.

And with good reason, too.

We are basically run by fucking gangsters in three piece suits.

Last edited:
He disliked the corporatization of news.

"The nation whose population depends on the explosively compressed headline service of television news can expect to be exploited by the demagogues and dictators who prey upon the semi-informed," he wrote in his 1996 memoir, "A Reporter's Life."

In a 2005 interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, he observed, "The misfortune with broadcasting today is that all -- even including your network, which is dedicated to the news -- do not take enough time to give us all of the facts and the background."

"Walter was truly the father of television news. The trust that viewers placed in him was based on the recognition of his fairness, honesty and strict objectivity," said "60 Minutes" correspondent Morley Safer in a statement.
Former CBS anchor 'Uncle Walter' Cronkite dead at 92 - CNN.com

Last edited:
"You can learn more by watching 'Let's Make a Deal' than you can by watching Walter Cronkite for a month." ~~ Archie Bunker

Wonderful! I dare say that if Archie were still alive or on the air, he would be watching FOX 24/7.

Sorry if I broke the mood...

Actually you are the first to get the point.

Cronkite was shamelessly liberal. So what? He was good, and professional, at what he did.

Cronkite's greatness was that he was an honorable man...

This is the man about whom Richard Nixon said "if we've lost Walter Cronkite, we've lost the war"...

He can be the story one last time. He earned it.

That was LBJ genius........ you even got the quote wrong.:lol::lol::lol:

Following Cronkite's editorial report during the Tet Offensive that the Vietnam War was unwinnable, President Lyndon Johnson is reported to have said, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America."

Wicker, Tom (January 26, 1997). "Broadcast News". New York Times.

He looked like Captain Kangaroo, I never did understand why anyone cared what he had to say.

Cronkrite was a good orator of the news, period.

He had the pleasure of being at the beginning of network news' greatness and he had the pleasure of very little competition.

Longevities served him well in creating a on air person which resonated well with people.

With the rare exceptions, on the air he never revealed the real man, not until after he retired. Those readings may be the most interesting and questionable.

And yes, I enjoyed getting my nightly news from Cronkrite!

Forum List

Back