Walter Becker Dead at 67

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
NYT

>> Walter Becker, the guitarist and songwriter who made suavely subversive pop hits out of slippery jazz harmonies and verbal enigmas in Steely Dan, his partnership with Donald Fagen, died on Sunday. He was 67.

His death was announced on his official website, which gave no other details. He lived in Maui, Hawaii.

Mr. Becker was unable to perform with Steely Dan this summer at Classic West and Classic East in Los Angeles and New York City, two stadium-size festivals of 1970s bands. Last month, Mr. Fagen told Billboard, “Walter’s recovering from a procedure and hopefully he’ll be fine very soon.” <<​

This was good music. He will be missed.

Thanks for bringing this up.....I am beyond sad to learn of this.

I have been a huge admirer of their work since I was old enough to understand music. Their songs are as relevant today as they were with their first album that debuted in January of 1973. My favorite album is "Aja" and my favorite cut from it is the haunting melody "Josie". I was so proud when I learned the intricate bass line of that song. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" is another great song from their album "Pretzel Logic" that as soon as I hear a few notes, I recognize it immediately.

Steely Dan was always a very eclectic endeavor from the start that derived their sound from many different genres using various beats. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were the founders and mainstays of the band. They had incredible studio musicians that played on their albums like Jeff "skunk" Baxter, Jeff Porcaro, Michael McDonald, Phil Woods..Timothy B Schmitt, Larry Carlton, Chuck Rainey...the creme de la creme of studio musicians that could put up with the anal retentive nature of Fagen and Becker where everything had to be absolutely perfect.

Steely Dan seldom toured to promote their albums which drove their record label managers crazy at times but they made money for it because the music spoke for itself and people loved it. They were unpretentious and never got into the whole "rock star" ego trip and often wondered what all the fuss was about. They thumbed their noses at fame and never seemed comfortable speaking at award ceremonies where their work was honored. Their music has stood the test of time and today is a sad day. RIP, Walter Becker....and thank you.

I've always thought that most Steely Dan songs were just exercises in musical masterbation, but for whatever reason I've always had a real soft spot for the song Deacon Blues.

RIP.

I've always thought that most Steely Dan songs were just exercises in musical masterbation, but for whatever reason I've always had a real soft spot for the song Deacon Blues.

RIP.

Well the band is after all named after a dildo.

I have been a huge admirer of their work since I was old enough to understand music. Their songs are as relevant today as they were with their first album that debuted in January of 1973. My favorite album is "Aja" and my favorite cut from it is the haunting melody "Josie". I was so proud when I learned the intricate bass line of that song. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" is another great song from their album "Pretzel Logic" that as soon as I hear a few notes, I recognize it immediately.

Steely Dan was always a very eclectic endeavor from the start that derived their sound from many different genres using various beats. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were the founders and mainstays of the band. They had incredible studio musicians that played on their albums like Jeff "skunk" Baxter, Jeff Porcaro, Michael McDonald, Phil Woods..Timothy B Schmitt, Larry Carlton, Chuck Rainey...the creme de la creme of studio musicians that could put up with the anal retentive nature of Fagen and Becker where everything had to be absolutely perfect.

Steely Dan seldom toured to promote their albums which drove their record label managers crazy at times but they made money for it because the music spoke for itself and people loved it. They were unpretentious and never got into the whole "rock star" ego trip and often wondered what all the fuss was about. They thumbed their noses at fame and never seemed comfortable speaking at award ceremonies where their work was honored. Their music has stood the test of time and today is a sad day. RIP, Walter Becker....and thank you.

Here's a bass line for ya............

Little known fact that many know about but as picky as Fagen and Becker could be? There was one solo that they signed off on immediately was Phil Woods solo on "Dr Wu" from the album Pretzel Logic. His saxophone lead totally amazed them both.

I remember back in Jr High back in early 70's how teachers were pushing against drugs and gangs, even THEN. And I listened.

Becker played bass on that and he totally nailed it. I never figured out how he got that tone for it and how he kept the strings from resonating while hitting the next beat. He was one bad ass musician.

Did you know that Becker came from a very dysfunctional family and it made him very shy and had to work hard to overcome it? Donald Fagen was the one that brought him out of his shell although both of them never wanted the spotlight...they just wanted to make music and they made some of the best I have ever heard.

A chronicile of immigration --- the experience of Puerto Rican immigrants coming to New York with aspirations only to be disillusioned ("city of St. John" = San Juan)

Forum List

Back