Walter Becker Dead at 67

That is a top five Steely Dan song for me. The bass line wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but they have some stuff that Chuck Rainey did that I could NEVER figure out. Have you listened to any of Donald Fagen's solo stuff? This is one of my favorite songs but I gave up trying to "chart" this song 5 years ago....it's off of his first solo album.

BTW, thank you for creating this thread and sharing these memories. This hits me hard because he was one of my musical icons.

Thanks for bringing this up.....I am beyond sad to learn of this.

I have been a huge admirer of their work since I was old enough to understand music. Their songs are as relevant today as they were with their first album that debuted in January of 1973. My favorite album is "Aja" and my favorite cut from it is the haunting melody "Josie". I was so proud when I learned the intricate bass line of that song. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" is another great song from their album "Pretzel Logic" that as soon as I hear a few notes, I recognize it immediately.

Steely Dan was always a very eclectic endeavor from the start that derived their sound from many different genres using various beats. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were the founders and mainstays of the band. They had incredible studio musicians that played on their albums like Jeff "skunk" Baxter, Jeff Porcaro, Michael McDonald, Phil Woods..Timothy B Schmitt, Larry Carlton, Chuck Rainey...the creme de la creme of studio musicians that could put up with the anal retentive nature of Fagen and Becker where everything had to be absolutely perfect.

Steely Dan seldom toured to promote their albums which drove their record label managers crazy at times but they made money for it because the music spoke for itself and people loved it. They were unpretentious and never got into the whole "rock star" ego trip and often wondered what all the fuss was about. They thumbed their noses at fame and never seemed comfortable speaking at award ceremonies where their work was honored. Their music has stood the test of time and today is a sad day. RIP, Walter Becker....and thank you.

Totally agree Aja got played to death during my college years. My favorite song of the album is Black Cow but every one is great. I can play piano pretty well by ear, but Steely Dan songs are the hardest to pick out they are very complex.

That song is also greatness but incredibly sad as well.......love that flames out as quickly as it was ignited. This song is an example of the different beats that they used. Their songs were so unique and not "sound a likes" from their other songs. Each one unique......

That is a top five Steely Dan song for me. The bass line wasn't as hard as I thought it would be but they have some stuff that Chuck Rainey did that I could NEVER figure out. Have you listened to any of Donald Fagen's solo stuff? This is one of my favorite songs but I gave up trying to "chart" this song 5 years ago....it's off of his first solo album.

BTW, thank you for creating this thread and sharing these memories. This hits me hard because he was one of my musical icons.

I've scanned that LP yes but found it disappointing next to SD. Outstanding cover though.

I have been a huge admirer of their work since I was old enough to understand music. Their songs are as relevant today as they were with their first album that debuted in January of 1973. My favorite album is "Aja" and my favorite cut from it is the haunting melody "Josie". I was so proud when I learned the intricate bass line of that song. "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" is another great song from their album "Pretzel Logic" that as soon as I hear a few notes, I recognize it immediately.

Steely Dan was always a very eclectic endeavor from the start that derived their sound from many different genres using various beats. Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were the founders and mainstays of the band. They had incredible studio musicians that played on their albums like Jeff "skunk" Baxter, Jeff Porcaro, Michael McDonald, Phil Woods..Timothy B Schmitt, Larry Carlton, Chuck Rainey...the creme de la creme of studio musicians that could put up with the anal retentive nature of Fagen and Becker where everything had to be absolutely perfect.

Steely Dan seldom toured to promote their albums which drove their record label managers crazy at times but they made money for it because the music spoke for itself and people loved it. They were unpretentious and never got into the whole "rock star" ego trip and often wondered what all the fuss was about. They thumbed their noses at fame and never seemed comfortable speaking at award ceremonies where their work was honored. Their music has stood the test of time and today is a sad day. RIP, Walter Becker....and thank you.

Totally agree Aja got played to death during my college years. My favorite song of the album is Black Cow but every one is great. I can play piano pretty well by ear, but Steely Dan songs are the hardest to pick out they are very complex.

I totally hear ya on that. There are some Steely Dan tunes that I can play "note for note" and then there are some that I couldn't "fake" on the best day I ever had. So, I just play along to the ones I can and sit back in awe and listen to the ones that I can't but wish I could.....LOL!

I envy the fact that you can play piano because I always wanted to be able to play. Keys and Sax were the two instruments that I coveted to play....instead I became a bass player...the least sought after instrument but every band has to have one in order to provide the bottom end and work in conjunction with the drummer's bass drum...at least I never wanted for a gig. LOL!

BTW, are you a fan of the Atlanta Rhythm Section and Dean Daughtry's keyboard work? ARS is also in the top five of mine.

I've scanned that LP yes but found it disappointing next to SD. Outstanding cover though.

Donald Fagan has more solo work outside of his first one in 1982 and I only discovered most of it 5 years ago....some I totally dig and some? Not so much.... but I am in awe of Donald Fagen's writing ability and the way he takes command of a studio and puts out such a unique sound.

On a side note, this is a prime example of how even though we may differ on many issue? We are in total agreement as it pertains to the greatness of Steely Dan...that alone makes me respect (at the very least) your musical tastes. I think that finding common ground is easier than we think.

I've always thought that most Steely Dan songs were just exercises in musical masterbation, but for whatever reason I've always had a real soft spot for the song Deacon Blues.

RIP.

Well, that would explain why Pogo would be eulogizing him. Most of his posts are exercises in mental masturbation.

Dude, this is a thread about paying homage to a great musician...Pogo never interjected any politics into this thread and simply wanted to pay props. Why you would interject politics into it shows an extreme lack of class.

Donald Fagan has more solo work outside of his first one in 1982 and I only discovered most of it 5 years ago....some I totally dig and some? Not so much.... but I am in awe of Donald Fagen's writing ability and the way he takes command of a studio and puts out such a unique sound.

On a side note, this is a prime example of how even though we may differ on many issue? We are in total agreement as it pertains to the greatness of Steely Dan...that alone makes me respect (at the very least) your musical tastes. I think that finding common ground is easier than we think.

Music is the great equalizer innit?

I once started a thread on politicians and celebrities playing music, totally outside of their politics, so that we could get a look at them as humans. From Richard Nixon to Robert Byrd. Tony Snow, Stephen Harper, Bill Clinton, the Singing Senators... once in a while ya gotta reset from all the demonization.

BTW did you know Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (so named because he hates to bathe) now chairs a Congressional advisory board on missile defense?

True story.

BTW did you know Jeff "Skunk" Baxter (so named because he hates to bathe) now chairs a Congressional advisory board on missile defense?

True story.
Jeff has every security clearance you can get. He's been involved in missile defense for many years now.

I once started a thread on politicians and celebrities playing music, totally outside of their politics, so that we could get a look at them as humans. From Richard Nixon to Robert Byrd. Tony Snow, Stephen Harper, Bill Clinton, the Singing Senators... once in a while ya gotta reset from all the demonization.

True story.

Indeed I do! Jeff Baxter is a genius for sure. I didn't know that "skunk" came from his aversion to bathing though..LOL!

But he is an incredible musician. He played with the Doobie Brothers and did studio work for them before he joined them. He plays peddle steel as well as guitar and was in the band "Spirit". It was Baxter that suggested that Michael McDonald take over for Tom Johnston when he got sick and they were right in the middle of making the "Taking It To The Streets" album because at one time Fagen wanted to turn over lead vocal duties to McDonald after the making of "Katy Lied" in 1975 and was voted down and the rest, as they say...is hysterical. Baxter's good word about McDonald saved the band basically.
I have really enjoyed talking music with you and the rest of the folks here that appreciate what we lost today. The sense of loss I feel tonight is stifling. I wrote a tribute on my FB page and it has gotten some good responses and shares but yet I wish I could do more. I appreciate you starting this thread so that we could all share and commiserate.

True story.

Indeed I do! Jeff Baxter is a genius for sure. I didn't know that "skunk" came from his aversion to bathing though..LOL!

But he is an incredible musician. He played with the Doobie Brothers and did studio work for them before he joined them. He plays peddle steel as well as guitar and was in the band "Spirit". It was Baxter that suggested that Michael McDonald take over for Tom Johnston when he got sick and they were right in the middle of making the "Taking It To The Streets" album because at one time Fagen wanted to turn over lead vocal duties to McDonald after the making of "Katy Lied" in 1975 and was voted down and the rest, as they say...is hysterical. Baxter's good word about McDonald saved the band basically.
I have really enjoyed talking music with you and the rest of the folks here that appreciate what we lost today. The sense of loss I feel tonight is stifling. I wrote a tribute on my FB page and it has gotten some good responses and shares but yet I wish I could do more. I appreciate you starting this thread so that we could all share and commiserate.

But you left out the best part.....

---- he was part of Ultimate Spinach, one of my favorite band names ever.

Agree on the posivibes. Such is the beauty of music.

I totally hear ya on that. There are some Steely Dan tunes that I can play "note for note" and then there are some that I couldn't "fake" on the best day I ever had. So, I just play along to the ones I can and sit back in awe and listen to the ones that I can't but wish I could.....LOL!

I envy the fact that you can play piano because I always wanted to be able to play. Keys and Sax were the two instruments that I coveted to play....instead I became a bass player...the least sought after instrument but every band has to have one in order to provide the bottom end and work in conjunction with the drummer's bass drum...at least I never wanted for a gig. LOL!

BTW, are you a fan of the Atlanta Rhythm Section and Dean Daughtry's keyboard work? ARS is also in the top five of mine.

I didn't follow too many rock pianists except for the ones known for being pianists like Billy Joel and Elton John. I was more into jazz pianists like Vince Guaraldi and George Winston. I tried learning guitar but I couldn't get used to that strained position the left hand has to be in. My son picked up guitar and bass is completely self taught and plays really well.

I didn't follow too many rock pianists except for the ones known for being pianists like Billy Joel and Elton John. I was more into jazz pianists like Vince Guaraldi and George Winston. I tried learning guitar but I couldn't get used to that strained position the left hand has to be in. My son picked up guitar and bass is completely self taught and plays really well.

I know right.... keyboard is so linear whereas guitar requires more abstract thought. I remember picking up the guitar and thinking --- six strings, four fingers, wtf?? But then I got to appreciate open tunings and all those possibilities.

I learned my first music and theory on piano but gravitated more to string instruments. But I still envision a keyboard when I want to pick a key or make a transposition.

Forum List

Back