Walmart arrest; racist or not?

IMO, it would depend on whether she'd ever been in trouble before for something similar. I don't agree with putting first time offenders in prison for something this minor.

The police generally do. That's why there is a 15 year max on it. It's bad public policy to put police out there and let people beat them with impunity. If people get the idea they can kick the crap out of a cop and there's no penalty, the thin blue line becomes a non-existent line.

Remember, the police are people too. If you aren't going to back me with the law in court, I'm not going to stick my neck out on the street. Society gets different real quick when the police start thinking like that.

Besides, in my offer, she doesn't do "prison" time, she does jail time. :lol:
I've never been comfortable with equating resisting arrest with assaulting an officer. Sounds like she was flailing around...if she even gave the guy a fat lip.

The Virginia Code:
Resisting lawful arrest; penalty.

A. Any person who intentionally prevents or attempts to prevent a law-enforcement officer from lawfully arresting him, with or without a warrant, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. For purposes of this section, intentionally preventing or attempting to prevent a lawful arrest means fleeing from a law-enforcement officer when (i) the officer applies physical force to the person, or (ii) the officer communicates to the person that he is under arrest and (a) the officer has the legal authority and the immediate physical ability to place the person under arrest, and (b) a reasonable person who receives such communication knows or should know that he is not free to leave.

A class one misdemeanor in Virginia is punishable by 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

I might be screwed on the probation, but if you don't give it to me, I'm going to go for all 12 months and you can take it to trial counselor. Your client's going to the rock pile!

If you notice, you don't get to hit the cop under this statute. That's assault.

Last edited:
The police generally do. That's why there is a 15 year max on it. It's bad public policy to put police out there and let people beat them with impunity. If people get the idea they can kick the crap out of a cop and there's no penalty, the thin blue line becomes a non-existent line.

Remember, the police are people too. If you aren't going to back me with the law in court, I'm not going to stick my neck out on the street. Society gets different real quick when the police start thinking like that.

Besides, in my offer, she doesn't do "prison" time, she does jail time. :lol:
I've never been comfortable with equating resisting arrest with assaulting an officer. Sounds like she was flailing around...if she even gave the guy a fat lip.

The Virginia Code:

A. Any person who intentionally prevents or attempts to prevent a law-enforcement officer from lawfully arresting him, with or without a warrant, is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. For purposes of this section, intentionally preventing or attempting to prevent a lawful arrest means fleeing from a law-enforcement officer when (i) the officer applies physical force to the person, or (ii) the officer communicates to the person that he is under arrest and (a) the officer has the legal authority and the immediate physical ability to place the person under arrest, and (b) a reasonable person who receives such communication knows or should know that he is not free to leave.
A class one misdemeanor in Virginia is punishable by 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.

I might be screwed on the probation, but if you don't give it to me, I'm going to go for all 12 months and you can take it to trial counselor. Your client's going to the rock pile!

Still...the law isn't always fair...that's all I'm saying.

Obviously this woman has stayed out of trouble since she was twenty-one, how does society benefit from putting her in jail?

Huh?
So we should just let criminals go? The woman is a criminal. She committed criminal acts and was tried and found guilty. We put criminals in jail generally speaking. Or elect them to Congress, take your pick.

Obviously this woman has stayed out of trouble since she was twenty-one, how does society benefit from putting her in jail?

how does society benefit from ignoring scofflaws? who knows what plea bargains she turned down. obviously she honestly believes she did nothing wrong. and that is the problem in a nutshell. which standards do we use? black culture standards or white culture standards?

15 years for acting like an asshole at Walmart?

Ridiculous.

No, you idiot. 15 years for fighting with the cops. Resisting arrest and assault on a police officer, as well as threatening them are criminal offenses.

Cutting in line is being an asshole. I doubt if she was convicted of that.

When I was very young, 14 I think, we used Greyhound pretty regularly. I had layovers in Salt Lake City and Portland.

I can't remember which one it was where a big black woman shoved me out of the way to board the bus before I did.

I let her.

I also saw my first real transvestite at the Portland terminal cafe. She was pretty spectacular.

Punishment should be simply forcing this stupid lady to 5 years of shopping at K-Mart. Everybody involved in this entire story is an idiot. Maybe it's time to have another beer party at the White House.

The woman acted like an asshole...she should have apoligized to everyone on line

It's symptomatic of the "I'm entitled to special treatment because I'm not white" pap we've been feeding people for the past 40 years.

Do you know why liberals are seen as pussies in todays America? Because they are cowards in dealings of race relations. Liberals are unable to tell a minority to "shut up", or call them on their bull shit. Liberals immediately go into defense mode for the minority accused, and are quick to call every white person involved racist, instead of holding the minorities accountable for their actions. Liberals used to be about creating equality. But liberals today don't know how to treat minorities equal, so they kiss their asses at every turn.

The woman isn't going to get 15 years. Let me school you simpletons on something....

The news exaggerates. When reporting on the punishment someone will receive for a crime, they report the maximum amount of years the person could get, under the law. It just sounds more "exciting" to them. Saying that she will probably get 2 years isn't as sexy.

This woman is an idiot. She's going to play the race-card because in todays America playing the race-card works! Until Americans are able to start having honest discussions about race, things aren't going to change any time soon!

I'd bet money she went to her lawyer wanting to sue Walmart for racism because they ejected her for being an ass and cutting in line.

And her lawyer said, screw that, let's go after the cops, since Walmart didn't do anything except ask her to leave when she was a buttwad.

Arrest at Walmart triggers charges of racism - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

ST. LOUIS - Nearly three years after Heather Ellis switched checkout lines at a southeast Missouri store and touched off what she calls a racially charged dispute with white customers and authorities, the young black schoolteacher faces a trial that could send her to prison for 15 years.

Witnesses have told authorities that Ellis cut in front of waiting customers at the Walmart in Kennett on Jan. 6, 2007, shoved merchandise already placed on a conveyor belt out of the way, and became belligerent when confronted, according to court filings.

Ellis maintains she was merely joining her cousin, whose checkout line was moving more quickly. She claimed in a written complaint to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People that she was then pushed by a white customer, hassled by store employees, called racial slurs and physically mistreated by Kennett police officers.

whose standards should be used? beligerence and disrespect of authority seem to be pretty ingrained in black culture. should we just accept a lower standard of behaviour? or should we defend standards that lead to civilized and amiable neighbourhoods?

The arrest was not racist, but the woman was.

The Virginia Code:

I almost threw up in my mouth reading your liberal, pussy point of view.

"how does society benefit from putting her in jail?"

In order to enforce laws, you have to setup consequences for them. It sets the example, that you will be held accountable for your illegal actions. You can't assault people and get away with it. Resisting arrest in itself is usual assault. Most of the time, resisting arrest includes the officer being slapped, pushed, or physically confronted in some way.

You have "Scared white guy" written all over you!

The Virginia Code:

I almost threw up in my mouth reading your liberal, pussy point of view.

"how does society benefit from putting her in jail?"

In order to enforce laws, you have to setup consequences for them. It sets the example, that you will be held accountable for your illegal actions. You can't assault people and get away with it. Resisting arrest in itself is usual assault. Most of the time, resisting arrest includes the officer being slapped, pushed, or physically confronted in some way.

You have "Scared white guy" written all over you!
Excellent! I'll try harder next time.

I cut to the front of line all the time.

I usually say my retarded brother is lost at the front, or my wife works at the register and I have to let her know our first born child just died in a traffic accident.

I usually say my retarded brother is lost at the front, or my wife works at the register and I have to let her know our first born child just died in a traffic accident.

You know you've been sprung when your photo appears in Woollies all over Freo though :lol:

You know you've been sprung when your photo appears in Woollies all over Freo though :lol:

Freo used to be the wild west of the Australian West, now it is a cappichino pump.

If your want rough and tumble Armadale is the new wild west of the WA West.

The Virginia Code:

"The law isn't always fair".....waaaaaa!!

Fair or not the racist woman broke the law and must pay the price. You bleeding hearts are ridiculously stupid!

The "woman has stayed out of trouble since she was twenty one", what the fuck does that have to do with anything? There are people that have NEVER been in trouble with the law but when they do they should expect to be punished for it. "How does society benefit from putting her in jail?" How does society benefit by not putting criminals in jail?

pfft!

Forum List

Back