Vote For ( )

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
First, we need a president who can speak English and deconstruct and navigate complex issues so Americans can make informed choices. We have paid an enormous price for having a president who could not explain and reassure us during this financial meltdown. We wasted a huge amount of time pretending that we could punish Wall Street without punishing Main Street — when, in fact, they are intricately intertwined.

A major money market fund — Reserve Primary — failed in September because the extra interest it offered customers derived, in part, from the $785 million in high-yielding Lehman Brothers commercial paper and notes it was holding. Depositors who told their congressmen to just let that greedy Lehman Brothers fail were shocked to discover this meant that their own money market would be frozen. No, we don’t need a president defending greed on Wall Street, but we do need one who can explain that we are all in the same boat, that a leak at one end can sink everyone and that while we must regulate, we don’t want to kill risk-taking and the rewards that go with that — which are essential to growing our economy.

Second, we need a president who can energize, inspire and hold the country together during what will be a very stressful recovery. We have to climb out of this financial crisis at a time when the baby boomers are about to retire and going to need their Social Security and eventually Medicare. We are all going to be paying the government more and getting less until we grow out of this hole.

Third, we need a president who can rally the world to our side. We cannot get out of this crisis unless China starts consuming more and unless Europe keeps lowering interest rates. Everyone is interconnected, and everyone is still looking to America to lead.

So, bottom line: Please do not vote for the candidate you most want to have a beer with (unless it’s to get stone cold drunk so you don’t have to think about this mess we’re in). Vote for the person you’d most like at your side when you ask your bank manager for an extension on your mortgage.
Vote for the candidate you think has the smarts, temperament and inspirational capacity to unify the country and steer our ship through what could be the rockiest shoals our generation has ever known. Your kids will thank you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/opinion/02friedman.html?em=&pagewanted=print

Please do not vote for the candidate you most want to have a beer with (unless it’s to get stone cold drunk so you don’t have to think about this mess we’re in). Vote for the person you’d most like at your side when you ask your bank manager for an extension on your mortgage.

Best line of the voting season!!

I think that was one of the least substantive op-eds I have ever read; lots of generalizations. Who in any of the campaign doesn't know how to speak English?

Also this quote:
The Bush team leaves us with another debt — one to Mother Nature. We have added tons more CO2 into the atmosphere these last eight years, without any mitigation effort. As a result, slowing down climate change in the next eight years is going to require even bigger changes and investments in how we use energy.
doesn't hold any water.

To say human beings are responsible for global warming is another big myth. Another scare tactic. People like Al Gore has no idea what he's talking about.

Who in any of the campaign doesn't know how to speak English?

To say human beings are responsible for global warming is another big myth. Another scare tactic. People like Al Gore has no idea what he's talking about.

I'm quite sure he/she is implying that Bush can't speak English and is a person many would feel comfortable about drinking a beer with but not running the country.

And, saying that global warming is caused by humans is only an exaggeration/assumption. The leading theory is that it's caused from Carbon emissions by humans. Regardless though, it's a problem/threat (global warming) and we need to both find the cause and thus the cure for it.

I think that was one of the least substantive op-eds I have ever read; lots of generalizations. Who in any of the campaign doesn't know how to speak English?

Also this quote:
The Bush team leaves us with another debt — one to Mother Nature. We have added tons more CO2 into the atmosphere these last eight years, without any mitigation effort. As a result, slowing down climate change in the next eight years is going to require even bigger changes and investments in how we use energy.
doesn't hold any water.

YOu really need to stop listening to Bush if you think humans are not causing Global Warming. And I bet the regulations that Bush is cutting is alright to you.

I'm quite sure he/she is implying that Bush can't speak English and is a person many would feel comfortable about drinking a beer with but not running the country.

And, saying that global warming is caused by humans is only an exaggeration/assumption. The leading theory is that it's caused from Carbon emissions by humans. Regardless though, it's a problem/threat (global warming) and we need to both find the cause and thus the cure for it.

You're wrong about global warming, but I didn't want to get into a debate about global warming here. I have started a thread on the myth of global warming: http://www.usmessageboard.com/environment/63316-global-warming-is-a-myth.html

Please do not vote for the candidate you most want to have a beer with (unless it’s to get stone cold drunk so you don’t have to think about this mess we’re in). Vote for the person you’d most like at your side when you ask your bank manager for an extension on your mortgage.

That disqualifies McCain and Obama. :badgrin:

"First, we need a president who can speak English..."

OMG, that made me laugh. :lol:

This is a good article. No one should ever vote based on who'd be cool to have a beer with, or who seems like a regular joe. I think Kerry lost a few million votes because of that windsurfing ad. How ridiculous is the "elitist" tag that gets thrown around?

What this person has just described is a motivational speaker not a president. Inspirational can speak English OMG is that all that is required to be president. If you can talk pretty your in. OMG have we lowered our expectations of a president to can speak well.

Call Billy Graham I bet he has inspired more people then Obama and McCain put together. I bet Billy Graham actually means what he says. Whoooaaaa what a concept!

HMM let's see which of the candidates would i want to negotiate a bank loan.

BHO "ahhhhhh and and ..now wait a minute let me be clear ahhhhhhh give this guy a loan aahhhh... he's a guy from my neighborhood ummmm ahhhh and and and you wouldn't want to be selfish and and no no no wait a minute sweety spread the wealth here it's ok ahhh ahhhha uuummm um um if he can't pay we'll ahhh ummm just get the rich people to pay

JM "heh heh heh my friend heh heh heh you want to be my friend don't you heh heh heh it's the American thing to do heh heh heh give him a loan and the governemnt will buy stock in your bank heh heh heh

I think I'll pass on both of them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back