Virtue of Truth

Falsehood is in a hurry; it may be at any moment detected and punished; truth is calm, serene; its judgment is on high.

Joseph Parker

The phrase "alternative facts" has topped a 2017 list of notable quotes.

The term came in on the top of a Yale Law School librarian's list of the most notable quotes of 2017, according to The Associated Press.

White House adviser Kellyanne Conway used the term alternative facts during a January interview, shortly after Trump was inaugurated.

She said at the time that then-White House press secretary Sean Spicer provided "alternative facts" to reporters during his first press briefing.

“You’re saying it’s a falsehood. And they’re giving — Sean Spicer, our press secretary, gave alternative facts to that,” Conway said during a January interview on NBC.

Her comments came after Spicer, during his first press briefing with reporters, railed against the media for its coverage of crowd size at Trump's inauguration ceremony.

“Truth isn’t truth,” the infamous statement that Rudolph W. Giuliani made in a back-and-forth with NBC’s Chuck Todd about the Russia investigation, is 2018′s most notable quote.

“Truth isn’t truth,” the infamous statement that Rudolph W. Giuliani made in a back-and-forth with NBC’s Chuck Todd about the Russia investigation, is 2018′s most notable quote.
No. Perception of truth isn’t truth. Truth exists in and of itself. It’s called reality.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Objective truth is discovered through a conflict and confusion process. Growth filled communities explore all sides of an issue to arrive at objective truth. ~ding
The only objective truths are from science.
It is an objective truth that one should always look both ways when crossing a busy street. No science needed.

Not on a green light I don’t. You failed again.
Objective truth is reality. Reality exists unto itself and is independent of perception of reality. For all things there is a final state of fact which is discovered in part because error cannot stand. Eventually error fails. So while you are free to pursue whatever alternate reality you wish, you are not free to avoid the consequences of your errors.

No. Perception of truth isn’t truth. Truth exists in and of itself. It’s called reality.

I heard that in reality God is not edible. Never was.

You must have converted an empty dingy basement chamber in your mind into a tricked out man cave with your very own hologram room where God is anything you want him to be, the world is going to hell, the most deceitful duplicitous low life out there is a holy man, expressions of truth are demonic assaults, you are a genius, and Jesus died so that you can eat him and booze it up while chanting, "We're number one! We're number one!"
Wherever this rant came from, it provided some funny visuals. Thats objectively true.

Wherever this rant came from, it provided some funny visuals. Thats objectively true.

An invisible sky fairy told me what to say and how to say it.

Actually I think it's more sad than funny..

Everyone is living on the same planet yet for some mysterious reason many people create their own holograms, false realities, according to factory specifications or individual programming that either conforms to or conflicts with actual reality.

Maybe one day ding will put down the remote, shake the crumbs off his shirt, wipe the drool off his lips, take a bath, get dressed, sober up and go outside and realize what a waste of fucking time it was retreating into a fantasy world that only existed within his addled mind.

I wouldn't bet on it though...see his latest post. ^^^^^.. He seems to have become a gibbering idiot.

It may be terminal.
Let him be happy with all of his autistic slogans and cliches, man.

Organized religions will continue to fade, and at the very least alter and re-alter their dogma to fit the ever-modernized social morals and scientific discovery.

Ezekiel 23:20 is funny as fuck. Its GOT to be trolling. HAS to be.

yeah well whenever someone starts talking about donkey dicks, something is going on. lol....

Damn smart them ancient Hebrew goat herders if you ask me, not to mention funny..
I still don't attribute any sort of genius to the allegories in the Bible. Its just common sense bullshitting, and back then people had assloads of time on their hands.

There are WAY more intriguing/thought provoking feats of literature than the Bible...but that book in particular placates some irrational fears and ignorance for the folks who need it. It also makes a very self-serving capitalistic business that escapes the cloak of capitalism.

Scientology and Mormonism even existing explains enough about how easily humans are duped by fancy sounding ideas.
If its not genius why have so many otherwise intelligent people, even geniuses, not grasped the simplistic schoolyard insults and not so subtle metaphors, allegories, innuendos, etc., etc. for thousands of years?
Because of the over-arching claim of eternal life.

The majority of folks are told what to think about the Religion (s), first, by family, a friend, a priest...etc....and then they read the book (s) afterward through that lense and it can be rationalized to fit any narrative they wish.

It's not that hard to do, and I think even you personally have fallen into the trap of reading more into what the poet says than what the poet's actually saying. That's what I mean by saying that you commit the decoder ring fallacy.

We see that in English Literature courses -students can spend hours hypothesizing ideas of what the texts of these poems may mean - and then theres testimony of the writers themselves (later revealed) that it was not even CLOSE to as fanciful as everyone presumed.

Objective truth is discovered through a conflict and confusion process. Growth filled communities explore all sides of an issue to arrive at objective truth. ~ding
It is an objective truth that one should always look both ways when crossing a busy street. No science needed.

Objective truth is reality. Reality exists unto itself and is independent of perception of reality. For all things there is a final state of fact which is discovered in part because error cannot stand. Eventually error fails. So while you are free to pursue whatever alternate reality you wish, you are not free to avoid the consequences of your errors.
And only you know what reality really is?

And only you know what reality really is?
Reality is, Taz.

Reality is the world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.

That's what I described and explained.

Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that unless we love the truth, we cannot know it.

Pascal

1. Question authority
2. Think for yourself
3. Test ideas by the evidence gained from observation and experiment.
4. Follow the evidence
5. Remember you could be wrong

Science is a way to keep from fooling ourselves and each other.

If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.

CS Lewis

Give unto me, made lowly wise,
The spirit of self-sacrifice;
The confidence of reason give,
And in the light of truth thy bondman let me live!

Wordsworth's Ode to Duty

Forum List

Back