Virgiana lawsuit vs. Healthcare bill clears first hurdle!!

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Navy1960, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    RICHMOND, Va. — Virginia’s lawsuit challenging the Obama administration’s health care reform law has cleared its first legal hurdle.

U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson on Monday denied the Justice Department’s request to dismiss the lawsuit.

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli claims that Congress does not have the authority under the Constitution’s Commerce Clause to require citizens to buy health insurance or pay a penalty
    Virginia lawsuit vs. Obama’s health care reform clears 1st hurdle - BostonHerald.com

2. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,702
    Lets hope the other 25 States that filed suite get the same results.

3. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I made no comment on the issue but this provision that requires people to purchase healthcare IMHO should be struck down. If a states citizens decide through the ballot that they wish this to be a matter of state law then so be it, I do believe that healthcare should be available at reasonable costs to those that need it and those that want it. The current healthcare law that was rammed through congress last year IMO has many hurdles to cross this just being one of them and is NOT IMO the way to bring reasonable healthcare to those that wish to have it. So in the end, i'm glad the judge has decided to let this go to trial where it needs to be heard.

4. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

As a citizen of the Commonwealth, I'm glad Ken Cuccinelli is pursuing this. There is a long way to go, but hopefully he will demonstrate that there is actually a limit to how far the Commerce Clause can be perverted.

In the small world category, I used to work at the same law firm as the Attorney General and the judge went to the same law school as me.....cool... :cool:

5. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    I just heard that the same Attny. General issued a ruling that permitted Va. state law enforcement to inquire about immigration status as well. So it does appear that Va. has jumped into the debate along with ours.

6. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,025
    This time next year the Roberts court will issue their ruling declaring ObamaCare unconstitutional

7. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    Prince William County Virginia has been enforcing a law much like the AZ law for 3 years now.

This ruling is an attempt to take the Prince William law state-wide. Hopefully, it will do for the state what it did for our county. The illegals fled like there was a farmer with a shotgun full of rock salt after them.

The slight variation in the Prince William law from the AZ law is that here, the police can only inquire about immigration status after an arrest. I'd be happy with that change to the AZ law if that makes the courts happy. Because the thing to know is that once the law is passed the illegals will deport themselves (at least to another state).

8. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
  9. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Do you believe that those who wish to purchase health insurance should be able to do so without facing discrimination based on gender or medical history?

10. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Discrimination?...What kind of discrimination would that be?