Video shows Nashville man running away as he's fatally shot by police

There is no bias in my statement.
Although I now realize that I misread your statement, it still has an assumption that the guy was such a common criminal that that cop MUST have interacted w/him before, therefore he knew him, and what he was capable of, and shot him justifiably with that knowledge.

Does that about sum it up right?

If not, please correct me where I'm wrong w/a full breakdown of how you came to that conclusion.

There is no bias in my statement.
Although I now realize that I misread your statement, it still has an assumption that the guy was such a common criminal that that cop MUST have interacted w/him before, therefore he knew him, and what he was capable of, and shot him justifiably with that knowledge.

Does that about sum it up right?

If not, please correct me where I'm wrong w/a full breakdown of how you came to that conclusion.

If he knew him or not is really beside the point.
He had a gun and was a threat to the officer and the general public.
Had he immediately dropped the gun and followed the officers orders he's be alive today.

So, that's not a crime punishable by death without a jury.

Seems like running from the cops is a crime punishable by death now.
He put himself in that situation[/QUOTE

No, he did not put himself in situation to be murdered.
Yes
He put himself in that situation

Yeah he did. Being Black while being Black.
Being a thug.

And this is the racist trying to preach to someone about forgiving when he is full of hatred. You're driving on the highway to hell there buddy. Don't try to pick up passengers
He would still be alive if he had forgiven his parents

Yes
He put himself in that situation

Being a thug.

And this is the racist trying to preach to someone about forgiving when he is full of hatred. You're driving on the highway to hell there buddy. Don't try to pick up passengers

You try forgiving you parents and STFU.

Yes
Being a thug.

You try forgiving you parents and STFU.
Calm down man. If you forgive your parents God will then forgive you. God will give you peace instead of all this hate you have built up. Your to old to be acting like this.

If you are not under arrest, you have the right to calmly leave.

A lot of these are too generalized to be legal advice. Like this one. If you are stopped for a traffic violation, you cannot calmly leave if you are not under arrest. You are being detained for CAUSE. There are requirements for complying with a traffic stop. If you ask if you're under arrest, you WILL BE if you refuse to comply with the requests. If you have DOUBTS about the OBJECTIVENESS of the stop -- it's not gonna be resolved by NOT producing documentation and asking if you are "under arrest".

You should really READ the law and not rely on simplistic lists like this. It could get people killed.

You have the right to refuse to consent to a search of yourself, your car or your home.

Once you are "under arrest" that right is severely limited. Best to not FORCE the situation from mere inquiry and/or detainment to arrest. Like many things in that list, ESCALATING the encounter can interfere with your rights in a court of law.

If you are not under arrest, you have the right to calmly leave.

A lot of these are too generalized to be legal advice. Like this one. If you are stopped for a traffic violation, you cannot calmly leave if you are not under arrest. You are being detained for CAUSE. There are requirements for complying with a traffic stop. If you ask if you're under arrest, you WILL BE if you refuse to comply with the requests. If you have DOUBTS about the OBJECTIVENESS of the stop -- it's not gonna be resolved by NOT producing documentation and asking if you are "under arrest".

You should really READ the law and not rely on simplistic lists like this. It could get people killed.
Depends on if you have access to an attorney. You should see the reaction cops display when they realize there will be consequences to their actions. Thats why they frequently attempt to confiscate cell phones when people film them fucking up.

Depends on if you have access to an attorney. You should see the reaction cops display when they realize there will be consequences to their actions. Thats why they frequently attempt to confiscate cell phones when people film them fucking up.
Speaking of such, the ACLU has a free app you can download on your phone so that if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to record your rights being violated you have the means to transmit your video recordings to an offsite ACLU server so that even if the police confiscate your phone and delete the incriminating footage, the ACLU will have a copy of what you recorded that they can't access or erase it
New ACLU Free Smart Phone App Lets You Record And Submit Police Behaving Badly

Speaking of such, the ACLU has a free app you can download on your phone so that if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to record your rights being violated you have the means to transmit your video recordings to an offsite ACLU server so that even if the police confiscate your phone and delete the incriminating footage, the ACLU will have a copy of what you recorded that they can't access or erase it
New ACLU Free Smart Phone App Lets You Record And Submit Police Behaving Badly

Thats great!!
If he'd only used it.
Here's the thing though. Some black activist now want to get rid of the very body cams they campaigned for.
Why do you think that is?

You don't have the right to run from the police.
Sure you do, you just should expect to be charged with evading

Tennesee Criminal Code 39-16-603 - Evading arrest
Misdemeanor Evading Arrest is a Class A Misdemeanor and may result in some or all of the following consequences:
  1. A sentence of up to 11 months, 29 days in prison;
  2. A probationary period;
  3. A fine of up to $2,500;
  4. Court costs.
[Source: Tennessee Code Annotated § 39-16-603]
The take away from this though is that no where does it state that the punishment for misdemeanor evading is summary execution by the police. The penalty for disobedience to the police or fleeing them is NOT death

All true. But if the officer radios in your tag for a traffic stop and finds you have priors for illegal weapons, you probably should not choose to evade. He was looking at definite jail time. It was his decision to take the gun on his person from the car.

STILL -- if he did not attempt to handle the weapon -- THIS should not have happened.

Forum List

Back