Video Game Blamed Again

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/07/29/uk.manhunt/index.html

Remember when Moral Kombat was blamed for murders? How about when GTA III was blamed the highway snipers? Or maybe when Vice City was forcefully altered due to "racist statements." (I still think that's a load of bull. There's a gang mode up of Hatians and often referred to as "The Hatians." In this context, the statement "kill the Hatians" is not racist.) Well, here we go again. This time, it's the new Rockstar game, "Manhunt," which is quite a graphic game in which killing your victims viciously gets you extra points. It is now being blamed for the brutal murder of a 14-year old British boy, who was lured to a park and then assaulted by his 17-year old friend. The older boy used a claw hammer and a knife to kill him. Most of the article goes on and on about the brutality of the murder and the intense gore in "Manhunt," but check out this sentence:

Peter Joyce QC prosecuting told the court that the defendant had planned to rob his younger friend to help repay a drugs debt.

Do ya think his drug habit might have had something to do with it? Do ya?

I think the whole thing is just rediculous, but people always look for a scapegoat. I've said this once and I'll say it again. If your child begins mimicking violent behavior in video games, it is your fault, not the video game manufacturer's, yours, because if the kid starts mimicking stuff like this, then he did not have the mental capacity to be playing games like this. Either he was too young or had a psychological condition, things you should be aware of. Once again, it's not the game's fault, it's the parents'!

I've played Quake, Doom, Delta Force, etc., but I haven't had to stop myself from killing people with nailguns, shotguns, sniper rifles, etc.

Of course, I have no such weapons, so that may have something to do with it too...

I've been struggling with this insatiable desire to go find a clan of ogres with my broadsword and slay them all, does that count as not being mentally capable of playing violent video games?

DKSuddeth said:
I've been struggling with this insatiable desire to go find a clan of ogres with my broadsword and slay them all, does that count as not being mentally capable of playing violent video games?

Well, you haven't gone out and slaughtered any well-meaning ogres with your broadsword, so I'd say you're doing well.

So Mommy lets junior buy a game, allows him to play it ad nasuem...then says the game should be BANNED?

what about not f'ing buying it in the first place? OR once you see how violent it is, forbid your kid from playing it.

Geesh.

Piss Poor Parenting is as much to blame as that game. Didn't mean to make a rhyme. Ooh! it's lunch time... :)

DKSuddeth said:

dunno 'bout that DK, but I guarantee if you kill Shrek, there will be hell to pay!

DKSuddeth said:

You too? My problem has been primarily with killing other martial artists or hookers. Hmmm....

Forum List

Back