Vegetarian or Carnivore? Which is Healthier?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
This study by the Medical University of Graz in Austria should cause some discussion. It was reported on CBS Atlanta and can be read and viewed @ Study: Vegetarians Less Healthy, Lower Quality Of Life Than Meat-Eaters « CBS Atlanta

A new study from the Medical University of Graz in Austria finds that vegetarians are more physically active, drink less alcohol and smoke less tobacco than those who consume meat in their diets. Vegetarians also have a higher socioeconomic status and a lower body mass index. But the vegetarian diet — characterized by a low consumption of saturated fats and cholesterol that includes increased intake of fruits, vegetables and whole-grain products — carries elevated risks of cancer, allergies and mental health disorders.

Vegetarians were twice as likely to have allergies, a 50 percent increase in heart attacks and a 50 percent increase in incidences of cancer.

I'm proud to say that, after a great dinner salad with Ranch, I enjoy a nice piece of Prime Rib, medium rare, with a baked potato [butter, sour cream and chives thank you] and veggies. If that offends Veggies, that's their problem, not mine. :eusa_angel:

And, then comes this:

Eating More Vegetables Can Almost Halve Your Risk of Dying
Alexandra Sifferlin, April 1, 2014

168837404-copy.jpg

Fruit makes a difference too, but fresh veggies have a larger effect

We’ve all been told to eat our vegetables, and even if we don’t like it, we know they’re good for us. But a new study shows just how good for our longevity they may be.

So, who knows WHICH to believe. As indicated above, I'll take the middle road. Story @ Eating 7 Servings of Fruit and Veggies Lowers Death Risk by 42% - TIME

OH NOES!
I've been strictly veg for more than 30 years. This means I'll have a heart attack tonight.

I would really hate it if I had to eat meat again but hey, next week we'll learn of the next big breakthrough - that running barefoot in the snow cures cancer.

Humans weren't built to eat lettuce all the time. And BMI is directly proportional to how much you shove in your fat face.

no longer an issue for me...diabetics cannot get enough protein without eating meat.....it is sad to see a vegan get hit with type 2 and realize they have to eat meat..

If you were to collect all the articles and all the stories about this, you'd be changing your mind after every article read...I don't think there can be a definite answer to this question but I think that the theory 'everything in moderation' is a good one, and makes sense.

The Grocery Crusade

This used to be a simple behavioral issue, but now it seems to carry political and ecological implications.

Firstly, how do you convince someone who has loved being a non-vegetarian that vegetarianism/veganism is a healthy alternative with ecological benefits?

The unchecked mass consumption of meat can not be good for the species in general. It doesn't necessarily mean we need to turn to an all-veggie diet to reduce the stress on animalia, but it does mean that vegetarianism/veganism can be equated to other environment-consciousness habits such as recycling.

Nutritionists suggest that a balanced diet is good if you need meat. Once upon a time, man ate only fruits and vegetables. When the species began eating animal meat, it grew in size (effect of mass protein-intake).

Subtle diet suggestions that accentuate taste without affecting austerity decisions seem wise. For example, someone who loves eating meat could try a vegetarian dish with high flavor (i.e., chick peas softened and slow-cooked in corn oil and honey).

Anyone see that movie "Chicken with Plums" (2011)?

:arrow:

Fruitarianism - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Sharkticon.jpg

This study by the Medical University of Graz in Austria should cause some discussion. It was reported on CBS Atlanta and can be read and viewed @ Study: Vegetarians Less Healthy, Lower Quality Of Life Than Meat-Eaters « CBS Atlanta

A new study from the Medical University of Graz in Austria finds that vegetarians are more physically active, drink less alcohol and smoke less tobacco than those who consume meat in their diets. Vegetarians also have a higher socioeconomic status and a lower body mass index. But the vegetarian diet — characterized by a low consumption of saturated fats and cholesterol that includes increased intake of fruits, vegetables and whole-grain products — carries elevated risks of cancer, allergies and mental health disorders.

Vegetarians were twice as likely to have allergies, a 50 percent increase in heart attacks and a 50 percent increase in incidences of cancer.

I'm proud to say that, after a great dinner salad with Ranch, I enjoy a nice piece of Prime Rib, medium rare, with a baked potato [butter, sour cream and chives thank you] and veggies. If that offends Veggies, that's their problem, not mine. :eusa_angel:
We have canines AND molars for a reason.

We are omnivores.

I can live on ANYTHING.

The Grocery Crusade

This used to be a simple behavioral issue, but now it seems to carry political and ecological implications.

Firstly, how do you convince someone who has loved being a non-vegetarian that vegetarianism/veganism is a healthy alternative with ecological benefits?

The unchecked mass consumption of meat can not be good for the species in general. It doesn't necessarily mean we need to turn to an all-veggie diet to reduce the stress on animalia, but it does mean that vegetarianism/veganism can be equated to other environment-consciousness habits such as recycling.

Nutritionists suggest that a balanced diet is good if you need meat. Once upon a time, man ate only fruits and vegetables. When the species began eating animal meat, it grew in size (effect of mass protein-intake).

Subtle diet suggestions that accentuate taste without affecting austerity decisions seem wise. For example, someone who loves eating meat could try a vegetarian dish with high flavor (i.e., chick peas softened and slow-cooked in corn oil and honey).

View attachment 33539
It is not that we do not have enough meat; we have too many people.

The Grocery Crusade

View attachment 33539

Chick peas are animal fodder.

Why do vegan meals have to use such shit food?

I can think of dozens of better things to eat; red beans, white beans, butter beans, European Army beans, and on and on.

Soy beans and chick peas give the whole vegan thing a yukkie rep.

Forum List

Back