Vatican Hypocrisy or Double Standards?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Swagger, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Last night I was having a drink with a friend who works as an accountant for the beancounters KPMG. During the course of the conversation, he let me in on quite an interesting story that has been common knowledge in the higher echelons of the Roman Catholic church for some time now.

Two years ago, he and his team were contracted to do some audit work for the Vatican; which at the time was trying to promote a more transparent image of accountability concerning church finances. About halfway through the audit, a rather suspect donor kept appearing. This donor was conspicuous in that it was a subsiduary of the arms manufacturer EADS. The firm that build, amongst other things, the Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jet.

This was brought to the attention of some of the Vatican representatives assigned to assist the auditors. They said that they'd look into the matter, but it seemed that the message wasn't passed on to their superiors.

Now, this does rather beg the question: is the Roman Catholic church, by extension, ignoring the fifth commandment that dictates, "Thou shalt not kill"?

And surely, by accepting donations from an organisation that is responsible for the manufacture and supply of instruments of death, does that make them complicit in any bloodshed caused by the weapons that provide funds to the Catholic Church?

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    I think you need to understand the difference between 'kill' and 'war'.

3. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Also, understand "Who is sinning"

The Catholic Church takes tithes/donations from sinners. That does not make the Church guilty of the sin created by those sinners..

By the way, The church also gives to sinners---again, the church is not guilty due to what the sinners do with the gift from the church.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  4. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,966
    I KNOW those of the Catholic faith may own munitions companies. Why expect the Vatican to inspect, verify, and exclude donors?

5. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

I would ask your friend why he breached the confidentiality of a client.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    Let me guess.... at the Blue Oyster?

7. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,505

What, you've never shared a few confidential details you've stumbled upon at work (that may be cause for concern) with friends or loved ones?

Let me guess... You came across this thread purely by chance, or because you keep track of what California Girl posts on, in case she needs an e-knight in shining armour?

8. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404

Long answer short.... no.

And for this very reason. You are sharing privileged information that your friend had no business sharing in the first place.

9. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Indeed. I've never shared confidential information either. I guess some of us know how to keep confidential information as confidential.

10. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    You're seriously trying to tell me that you've never shared confidential information? And you tell us that you're a journalist/writer? In any case, I don't believe either you or Syrenn have never divulged private information - work related or otherwise.