Vatican Censors Nun's Book on Sexual Ethics

I was raised in the RCC. I have many Catholic friends, and I attend a retreat twice a year that is held at a Catholic retreat center, Santa Sabina in San Rafael.

I also co-facilitated "Raised Catholic" groups for women who had left the Church, with the goal to either reconcile or find a living spirituality in the present.

The woman I facilitate with has wanted to be a priest her whole life, and she would be a wonderful one.

Do these women know you're mentally unbalanced?

Well Sky, that is a nice way to approach Catholicism if it was philosophy that needed correcting.

But it is a religion that assumed correct upon issue. Whenever the leaders of a religion consider changing its doctrine to something that is less aligned with the original theology and concpets, the theologians risk admitting that they can be wrong.

Christianity is designed such that the theologians are always correct--because they speak for god who is always correct. Even the admission of a misinterpretation of some passage in the bible creates a plausible argument about the infalliablity in the church. In short, Sister Farley is a Heretic to the christian faith.

And those Catholics that would claim the pope is not in line with the faith are lying possesed fools!

The source of truth in Catholicism is the Pope and those he agrees with.

Thats basically christianity

If you're right, its really too bad. The aliveness in the RCC shows in the Catholic Women's organization that Sister Farley is a part of.

Last edited:
Yours is a pretty anal religion, I must say, particularly when it comes to women. Your church men are almost as afraid of women's sexuality as the moooslims are.

Sorry - just saw this, so sorry for the late reply.

Really? Afraid of women?

Mary, Mother of God.

Saint Mary. My favorite saint !!!!

What other Christian church holds Mary up to the same standards the RCC does?

Thanks

Well, this book is well recieved by Christians in and out of the Catholic Church. The Pope is out of touch with the faithful in the US.

The book is not well received by True Christians. And, papa's job isn't to keep in touch with degenerates who call themselves Catholic, but to keep up in touch with unchanging Truth, shithead.

The church around the world has been wracked by scandals over child sexual abuse, and the crisis is far from over.

Those child sexual scandals are a result of the Catholic Church yielding to modern Liberalism. "We have to love the fags, so we'll let them be Priests..." End result: boys being molested.

I am interested in knowing how this is censorship.

All the headlines call it censorship. It has to do with sanctions the Vatican has inflicted.

"In an interview Friday with the National Catholic Reporter, LCWR president Sr. Pat Farrell, a member of the Sisters of St. Francis in Dubuque, Iowa said that in raising doctrinal and theological issues the nuns in her organization have also been reflecting a wider conversation among Catholics in the church -- and one that often finds no other outlet in officialdom.

"The insinuation that I think many people could draw from reading that Vatican document is that if we raise those questions, we’re unfaithful to the church," Farrell said. "That’s not true. And I don’t think that’s really fair. I think, in fact, that that is a sign of our deepest faithfulness to the church -- questions that the people of God need to raise, that we need to talk about together in a climate of genuine dialogue."

The LCWR response comes as Benedict faces an enormous public relations headache over the leak of sensitive documents that reveal his Roman curia to be a dysfunctional bureaucracy riven by backroom plotting and politicking.

In pointed contrast to the unflattering reports coming out of the Vatican in recent weeks, the LCWR said the stand-off must be "addressed by the entire church community in an atmosphere of openness, honesty, and integrity.”

Religion News Service | Faith | Leaders & Institutions | U.S. nuns rip Vatican for ‘unsubstantiated accusations’

The headlines call Walkers victory in Wisconsin "slim." Funny thing, he won by the same margin Obama won against McCain, I don't recall that being called slim.

The point is headlines are not facts. Did the Vatican demand all copies of the book be burned? Once they do that you can talk to me about censorship, until the it is an internal church matter, and none of my, or your, fracking business.

I am interested in knowing how this is censorship.

All the headlines call it censorship. It has to do with sanctions the Vatican has inflicted.

"In an interview Friday with the National Catholic Reporter, LCWR president Sr. Pat Farrell, a member of the Sisters of St. Francis in Dubuque, Iowa said that in raising doctrinal and theological issues the nuns in her organization have also been reflecting a wider conversation among Catholics in the church -- and one that often finds no other outlet in officialdom.

"The insinuation that I think many people could draw from reading that Vatican document is that if we raise those questions, we’re unfaithful to the church," Farrell said. "That’s not true. And I don’t think that’s really fair. I think, in fact, that that is a sign of our deepest faithfulness to the church -- questions that the people of God need to raise, that we need to talk about together in a climate of genuine dialogue."

The LCWR response comes as Benedict faces an enormous public relations headache over the leak of sensitive documents that reveal his Roman curia to be a dysfunctional bureaucracy riven by backroom plotting and politicking.

In pointed contrast to the unflattering reports coming out of the Vatican in recent weeks, the LCWR said the stand-off must be "addressed by the entire church community in an atmosphere of openness, honesty, and integrity.”

Religion News Service | Faith | Leaders & Institutions | U.S. nuns rip Vatican for ‘unsubstantiated accusations’

The headlines call Walkers victory in Wisconsin "slim." Funny thing, he won by the same margin Obama won against McCain, I don't recall that being called slim.

The point is headlines are not facts. Did the Vatican demand all copies of the book be burned? Once they do that you can talk to me about censorship, until the it is an internal church matter, and none of my, or your, fracking business.
The censorship has come in the form of cracking down on the largest order of nuns in the US.

Why is it any of my business? I know nuns affected by it.

The censorship has come in the form of cracking down on the largest order of nuns in the US.

The nuns are part of the Catholic church, it is an internal church matter, if they don't like what the Vatican is telling them they can leave the church.

In what way are they "cracking down" on anyone? Isnt it their responsibility to crack down on parts of their organization that begins to teach apostate doctrine?

In what way are they "cracking down" on anyone? Isnt it their responsibility to crack down on parts of their organization that begins to teach apostate doctrine?

The nun wrote the book as a free agent, as someone who is a Professor of Christian Ethics at Yale Divinity School. She never intended her book to be a Catholic manual.

Plenty of Catholics support Sister Margaret Farley.

"Given the Vatican's myopic view of moral leadership -- and the Roman Catholic Church hierarchy's sometimes conspicuous failure to exercise it -- I find it astounding that officials whose own house is in disarray should be telling U.S. nuns that they're deviating from the holiness rules.

Apparently many other American Catholics feel the same way, marching, holding vigils, circulating petitions and launching Facebook pages to show the enforcers, from Pope Benedict XVI on down, that they won't let their sisters be bullied.

This all started after the Vatican issued a report in April giving a loud smack on the knuckles to the umbrella group that represents more than two-thirds of U.S. nuns. The Leadership Conference of Women Religious was scolded for having speakers at their gatherings whose unorthodox views on spirituality go far off track from church teachings; for focusing on social justice instead of stepping loudly into public debate about abortion and homosexuality; and essentially for not being sufficiently subservient to the U.S. bishops and their stands on volatile political issues.

An American archbishop was designated to oversee "reform" of the nuns' organization. Representatives of the organization are supposed to travel to Rome shortly to convey their objections in person.
The Leadership Conference last week called the Vatican's accusations "the result of a flawed process that lacked transparency" and said the report has "caused scandal and pain throughout the church community."
Here's what riles some of us ordinary Catholics, not to mention those of other beliefs: We hear of wayward priests and bishops, who are supposed to be celibate, having affairs and fathering children, sullying the daily labors of many fine and earnest religious men and women. Yet, the message the Vatican really wants to emphasize is that devoting yourself to good works isn't enough if you aren't leading the charge against insurance subsidies for contraception or gay unions.

Sure, human sexuality raises many difficult moral dilemmas, but morality extends far beyond that. And the call to live a virtuous life involves myriad other ways in which we serve one another and allow our society to treat the least among us. The Leadership Conference is interested in issues such as shifting Pentagon spending to education and jobs programs; reforming immigration laws; improving health around the globe and preventing domestic violence and human trafficking.

Meanwhile, stranger-than-fiction intrigue swirls around the Vatican, with the pope's butler being suspected of leaking internal documents that suggest power struggles and Machiavellian schemes designed to control the eventual selection of Benedict's successor. Is it any wonder that so many are standing with the sisters?"

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/0...ave-plenty-of-big-brothers.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
In a spirited retort to the Vatican, a group of Roman Catholic nuns is planning a bus trip across nine states this month, stopping at homeless shelters, food pantries, schools and health care facilities run by nuns to highlight their work with the nation’s poor and disenfranchised.

The bus tour is a response to a blistering critique of American nuns released in April by the Vatican’s doctrinal office, which included the accusation that the nuns are outspoken on issues of social justice, but silent on other issues the church considers crucial: abortion and gay marriage.

The sisters plan to use the tour also to protest cuts in programs for the poor and working families in the federal budget that was passed by the House of Representatives and proposed by Representative Paul D. Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican who cited his Catholic faith to justify the cuts.

“We’re doing this because these are life issues,” said Sister Simone Campbell, executive director of Network, a liberal social justice lobby in Washington. “And by lifting up the work of Catholic sisters, we will demonstrate the very programs and services that will be decimated by the House budget.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/06/us/us-nuns-bus-tour-to-spotlight-social-issues.html

I am proud of these nuns and happy that I support the Santa Sabina Retreat Center by going and staying there twice a year.

After giving an obligatory nod to the sisters’ good works in schools, hospitals and social service agencies, the CDF devoted the remainder of its Doctrinal Assessment to attacking the sisters for failing to provide “allegiance of mind and heart to the Magisterium of the Bishops”; focusing on the “exercise of charity” instead of lambasting lesbians, gays, and women who use birth control or have an abortion; refusing to accept the ban on women’s ordination; allowing “dialogue” on contentious subjects; and tampering with the notion of God the “Father” while promulgating other “radical feminist” theological interpretations. The CDF’s solution: send in three men, an archbishop and two other bishops, to take control of LCWR for five years.

This led to an enormous outpouring of support to the sisters. But to anyone who has been watching the nuns closely, an unsettling observation emerges: these charges appear, in some measure, to be true. But that is not because, as the Assessment insists, LCWR has rejected “communion” with the church. Instead, it is evidence of a theological conflict that is raging in the Catholic Church, a conflict that most of us only notice when it spills over into American politics.

Liberal voices in the Church have been under attack ever since Vatican II. A number of vocal Catholic women, including nuns, have been among the most persistent and influential leaders of the fight to save the church from what they see as soul-crushing conservatism. This has galled the hierarchy, which has responded with silencings, firings, excommunications and public denunciations. Seeing that picking their targets off one by one wasn’t working, the Vatican, in taking on LCWR, decided to go for broke.

American Nuns: Guilty as Charged? | The Nation

New Topics

Forum List

Back