Vaping in the brave, new world.

I think the problem was, these were rushed into the market without a lot of study.

And somewhere along the line, the initial good idea (Let's give smokers something that will help wean them off smoking) became a cash grab (Let's market to kids, get them hooked and create a permanent market for our product.)

Simple enough solution... make vaping "by prescription only"...
Prescription-only? How's that opioid problem going?

better half-ass controls than no controls at all.
It's better to take the time and make the right decision, rather than some emotional, knee-jerk choice that just destroys even more.

Exactly. Most Americans thought that Prohibition was a tremendous idea, but 13 years later they reversed themselves.

It's better to take the time and make the right decision, rather than some emotional, knee-jerk choice that just destroys even more.

Taking the time would have been to study the effects of these things before they hit the market.

Now, here's the thing. I'm okay with vaping in principle. I would even go so far to say that vaping saved my brother's life, because the man wouldn't have given up smoking otherwise...

I do have a real problem with how Juul marketed these things to kids..

Exactly. Most Americans thought that Prohibition was a tremendous idea, but 13 years later they reversed themselves.

Actually, spoken like someone who didn't understand the history of prohibition.

Prohibition was never about banning Alcohol, it was about banning Germans. Those, nasty, nasty Germans drinking beer in their beer gardens and taverns! Or do you think it's a conincidence it got ratified around World War I.

When people figured out it wasn't just the Krauts getting their beer taken away, they realized it was a bad idea.

Taking the time would have been to study the effects of these things before they hit the market.

Now, here's the thing. I'm okay with vaping in principle. I would even go so far to say that vaping saved my brother's life, because the man wouldn't have given up smoking otherwise...

Juul never marketed their products to kids.
They only market their products to smokers.
To say otherwise is a fucking lie from leftard scum who have found another thing to control people with.

To say otherwise is a fucking lie from leftard scum who have found another thing to control people with.

Educate yourself, buddy.

The vape company Juul said it doesn’t target teens. Its early ads tell a different story.

But a new analysis of its early advertising campaign tells a very different story.

In a white paper, a team of researchers with Stanford Research Into the Impact of Tobacco Advertising have shared their study of the company’s marketing campaign between Juul’s launch in 2015 and fall 2018. They looked at thousands of Instagram posts, emails, and ads, and came to this searing conclusion: Juul’s marketing “was patently youth-oriented.” Juul also appeared to borrow directly from the tobacco industry playbook.

That’s an important finding, given that the youth vaping trend, which coincided with Juul’s explosion on the market, is viewed as a new public health crisis. A major national survey recently found that the number of high schoolers who used e-cigarettes in the past 30 days has increased by about 75 percent since 2017.

Educate yourself, buddy.

The vape company Juul said it doesn’t target teens. Its early ads tell a different story.

But a new analysis of its early advertising campaign tells a very different story.

In a white paper, a team of researchers with Stanford Research Into the Impact of Tobacco Advertising have shared their study of the company’s marketing campaign between Juul’s launch in 2015 and fall 2018. They looked at thousands of Instagram posts, emails, and ads, and came to this searing conclusion: Juul’s marketing “was patently youth-oriented.” Juul also appeared to borrow directly from the tobacco industry playbook.

That’s an important finding, given that the youth vaping trend, which coincided with Juul’s explosion on the market, is viewed as a new public health crisis. A major national survey recently found that the number of high schoolers who used e-cigarettes in the past 30 days has increased by about 75 percent since 2017.

They look 21 to me.
Do you have a problem with companies marketing to 21 year old adults?

Do you often do studies on things you don't see coming? Might want to get that crystal ball fixed.

funny_picdump_3128_640_high_39.jpg

They look 21 to me.

Sure...as long as you hold them responsible when they sell to anyone YOUNGER than 21.

Which is what they were doing with the candy flavored ones and the social media outreach.

Do you often do studies on things you don't see coming? Might want to get that crystal ball fixed.

Except they should have seen that coming, as they took plays right out of the book of the Tobacco Industry... the only thing missing was Joe Camel.

They look 21 to me.

Sure...as long as you hold them responsible when they sell to anyone YOUNGER than 21.

Which is what they were doing with the candy flavored ones and the social media outreach.

Except they should have seen that coming, as they took plays right out of the book of the Tobacco Industry... the only thing missing was Joe Camel.

Plenty of kids smoked cigarettes long before Joe Camel was born. In fact, probably more, if I can remember when I was a kid.

I haven't really followed the whole vaping thing in the news. What little I have read I just chalk up as a victory for the tobacco lobby. It's rather powerful in Washington. Regular cigarette sales look like they dropped quite a bit when vaping came along. No real surprise they're making vaping illegal.

Sure wish I had a lobbyist in D.C.

Only 13 percent of Americans smoke cigarettes
When I was a kid it was close to 50

I remember when vaping was just starting.

I was pumping gas and the guy in the car in front of me opened the door and a huge plume of white smoke came out
My wife started screaming.....Get out of there, that car is on fire!

One of my hobbies is buying old antique mechanical watches and taking them apart and restoring them. I find that all of the ones I buy and take apart that were manufactured at around the 1950s and 1960s are completely layered in nicotine. Anything from the 1930s and 1940s are usually nicotine free. Seems like the 1950s were when smoking became so socially popular?

4f8142d6f7534d63e1bfc94d7f0da7e9--retro-advertising-retro-ads.jpg

Last edited:
One of my hobbies is buying old antique mechanical watches and taking them apart and restoring them. I find that all of the ones I buy and take apart that were manufactured at around the 1950s and 1960s are completely layered in nicotine. Anything from the 1930s and 1940s are usually nicotine free. Seems like the 1950s were when smoking became so socially popular?

The 1930's and 1940's were times of great economic depravity. A lot of people couldn't afford to smoke. Once Roosevelt croaked- the economy started improving. Ironically, FDR was a big tobacco man, but he wasn't broke during the Roosevelt Depression.

My understanding is that GIs were given free cigarettes during the war. Almost all came back as smokers
Hollywood was also complicit with cigarette smoking featured prominently in all films. Smoking was cool

When I was a kid in the early 70s, I can't recall any adult relatives that didn't either smoke, dip, of chew tobacco products. Long car rides were like torture, especially during cold weather.

By the 80s, probably over half of my adult relatives had quit smoking. The dipping and chewing went longer.

My understanding is that GIs were given free cigarettes during the war. Almost all came back as smokers
Hollywood was also complicit with cigarette smoking featured prominently in all films. Smoking was cool

It is true that the GI's got free cigarettes. My old man fought WWII, his complaint was that mostly they were given shitty cigarettes instead of Luckies and Chesterfields.

I haven't really followed the whole vaping thing in the news. What little I have read I just chalk up as a victory for the tobacco lobby. It's rather powerful in Washington. Regular cigarette sales look like they dropped quite a bit when vaping came along. No real surprise they're making vaping illegal.

Sure wish I had a lobbyist in D.C.

Pretty funny though. Big weed does all the damage and gets to blame it all on Juul.

Big weed didn't do any damage black market making e cigs in their basement and adding vitamin E acetate and some of their weed did all the damage.

No, it did. Here is what I notice about all these lung illnesses,

1. All the people going down from it are teenagers.

2. The media is purposely vague in their reporting on the topic. If they wanted they could have the source of these bad vapes in a second. Why? Because it will hurt big weed.

Honestly, this comes down to absentee parenting and political elites protecting a cash cow industry.

That said, I am a functional stoner. I smoke pot no less then all day long. I also support legalization, that said, smoking pot is as bad or worse then smoking tobacco.

You didn't research far enough it was not only teenagers. I have pot to smoke but have not I use tincture oils daily with 9 THC.

Still, it's illicit vapes.tincture isn't vape juice. I'll order me a bottle of tincture now and again. Good stuff. This issue though is 100% big weed. It's an awesom demonstration of the power of lobbyist in Washington what with no less then John Bohner lobbying for weed. Fact is, not one case can a tobacco vape with lagit tobacco stuff has been pointed to as the culprit in these cases. It's all been 20 somethings and you get who vapes weed as well as tobacco. That is a fact.

It is true that the GI's got free cigarettes. My old man fought WWII, his complaint was that mostly they were given shitty cigarettes instead of Luckies and Chesterfields.

We pulled the smokes out on an MRE type thing. It was old, don't know which era, but the smokes were in like a half pack that looked like it was green at some point with plain print that read "Marlboro".

Forum List

Back