Vandals Hit Medal Of Honor Display

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
May not be fair, but this reminds me of the dirty tricks during the campaign:

http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=3139133&ClientType=Printable

Hoosiers react to monument vandalism

Indianapolis, March 30 - Wednesday seemed like a normal spring day at the Canal Walk. But for visitors to the Medal of Honor memorial, a dirty secret marred an otherwise beautiful place, where vandals did a lot of damage.

Glass panels on the monument were smashed early Tuesday morning. Obscene words about President Bush and Gov. Daniels, along with peace symbols were spray-painted on canal walls.

"I don't get it. I don't get it at all," said Tammy Hickman, a visitor.

"It's really an indication of how morally bankrupt people are who were involved in this," said State Police Officer Dave Bursten.

As early as 3.a.m. Wednesday, Indiana State Police patrolled the glass-walled memorial to war veterans, looking for signs of vandals other than the ones they so boldly left behind .

Investigators hope surveillance video taken from nearby buildings can provide some information.

"I would imagine it's kids playing around with nothing to do since it's spring break," said visitor Tim Gueisser.

For Navy veteran Neil Blackwell, this crime is personal.

"I respect the flag and the United States," said Blackwell. "It's heartbreaking to see somebody doing something like this. It really is."

"We spend a lot of time here in the summer. It's a beautiful area. To have it marred by something like that," said Hickman.

Whether it was a way to get attention or a motive more politically motivated, the marks will soon be scrubbed away. But for visitors and veterans, the damage here is done.

Clean up crews had to bring in a sand-blaster to clean up the graffiti. Some of it may still be visible.

State Police are checking to see who may have surveillance video and whether it is clear enough to help their investigation.

The vandals face charges of felony criminal mischief.

Forum List

Back