VA To Force Vets To Pay?

Administration Open to Taxing Health Benefits

By JACKIE CALMES and ROBERT PEAR
Published: March 14, 2009

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is signaling to Congress that the president could support taxing some employee health benefits, as several influential lawmakers and many economists favor, to help pay for overhauling the health care system.

The proposal is politically problematic for President Obama, however, since it is similar to one he denounced in the presidential campaign as “the largest middle-class tax increase in history.” Most Americans with insurance get it from their employers, and taxing workers for the benefit is opposed by union leaders and some businesses.

In television advertisements last fall, Mr. Obama criticized his Republican rival for the presidency, Senator John McCain of Arizona, for proposing to tax all employer-provided health benefits. The benefits have long been tax-free, regardless of how generous they are or how much an employee earns. The advertisements did not point out that Mr. McCain, in exchange, wanted to give all families a tax credit to subsidize the purchase of coverage.

At the time, even some Obama supporters said privately that he might come to regret his position if he won the election; in effect, they said, he was potentially giving up an important option to help finance his ambitious health care agenda to reduce medical costs and to expand coverage to the 46 million uninsured Americans. Now that Mr. Obama has begun the health debate, several advisers say that while he will not propose changing the tax-free status of employee health benefits, neither will he oppose it if Congress does so.

At a recent Congressional hearing, Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat whose own health plan would make benefits taxable, asked Peter R. Orszag, the president’s budget director, about the issue. Mr. Orszag replied that it “most firmly should remain on the table.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/us/politics/15health.html

... The Obama administration is signaling to Congress that the president could support taxing some employee health benefits, as several influential lawmakers and many economists favor, to help pay for overhauling the health care system....

Are these the same 'Economists' who told Obama to spend over a trillion dollars of money we don't have?

Not surprised...how else does he plan to pay for all this stuff. He is going to HAVE to break his word an awful lot to achieve what he has now signed into law.

Get ready. There will be more taxation. God help us.

I thought "taxing employee health benefits" is what the Democrats used to flay John McCain with.???

Can everybody say HYPOCRITES?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can't wait to hear how the Obama-lovers on the board spin this one.

I take great comfort in his statement from yesterday... "It's never as good as we say it is and it's never as bad as we say it is. I'm very optimistic."

Optimistic? Does that mean he is thinking positively that things will be as bad or as good as we've been told?

Several have said he has changed his position on the status of the "crisis" and that he is flip-flopping on his "fear tactics". But the truth is that he didn't change his position, he just stopped being so negative and continues to support the crisis with a "maybe / maybe not" stance.

So if it turns around and isn't as bad, then he can say, "I told you is wasn't so bad." But if it turns out to be really bad, then he can say, "I told you this could be bad...and it is."

It was a brilliant political move...but instilled ZERO confidence to those of us that can read between the thin and well defined lines.

Come on Obama-lovers...come here.....don't run away from this thread.

I pay for my own insurance so I don't have to worry but the last employer paid nearly $1,000.00 per month for my medical insurance. If that is the case with you, get ready to pay up - you can pretty much count on another $150-$200 dollars in month coming out of your pocket in taxes.

Or is the fact that he is proving, once again, that he said anything to get elected.

And again, is being less than truthful?

I can't believe you are OK with this.

I can't wait to hear how the Obama-lovers on the board spin this one.

This will be one of those threads that is conspicuously absent of liberal posters.

I don't think our board liberals are by and large all stupid people. So really, I think they can see and understand what's going on as well as us conservatives can, and they HAVE to be saying to themselves... "FUCK!" I mean obama is leaving them high and dry. He's breaking his campaign promises left and right, and BIG promises at that, and along with his ultra left wingnut sister pelosi and brother reid, he's got MASSIVE problems on his hands spending all this money. It's not going to help anything because it's money we DON'T HAVE! It HAS to be PAID BACK! What then? These people are screwing us, our children, and their children! ANYBODY can see that, so how POSSIBLY could someone DEFEND IT?

Answer: You can't.

I thought "taxing employee health benefits" is what the Democrats used to flay John McCain with.???

Can everybody say HYPOCRITES?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You are exactly right. I guess when you borrow trillions of dollars from the taxpayers without their permission, you've basically said that you don't care about them.

this is perfect. no one in the bottom 97 percent of taxpayer's rates will go up. we will just have to pay the same percentage on MORE things.

this is perfect. no one in the bottom 97 percent of taxpayer's rates will go up. we will just have to pay the same percentage on MORE things.
just like no one who makes less than $250k was gonna see a penny in "tax increase"
Obama didnt say anything about not removing the deductions they had

:eusa_whistle:

would vets then get decent medical treatment? or would they continue to get the half ass treatment they have been getting? let us remember the scandals under the gop administrations in the treatment of vets...i do not see the need for private insurance for military...seems like another flipping middle man is you ask me...but i would love to see vets getting decent medical treatment as well as more mental health help....i am for the system that benefits the vets the most.

I don't recall a GOP-specific scandal in the treatment of vets. The VA has been mediocre at best, for decades, with BOTH parties trying their best to ignore it.

But say hello to socialized medicine. THIS is what you folks are begging for.

Walter Reed was a specifically GOP scandal. Swept under the rug, and lied about untill the Dem congress of 2006. It was privatation of the maintenance of the facilities that led to that disgrace. Privatization that cost more than when there were reasonably paid government employees doing a decent job of maintenance. And the person running the company was a Haliburton spinoff. Another gift from Cheney and Rumsfeld.

... The Obama administration is signaling to Congress that the president could support taxing some employee health benefits, as several influential lawmakers and many economists favor, to help pay for overhauling the health care system....

Are these the same 'Economists' who told Obama to spend over a trillion dollars of money we don't have?

But you don't mind the three trillion that Iraq will have cost us by the time we get out of the sinkhole?

But you don't mind the three trillion that Iraq will have cost us by the time we get out of the sinkhole?

So you like Obama, wish to tax/penalize those "too stupid", "didn't study hard enough" that went in your place? Tell me again how the liberals 'support' the troops...

While in my view Bush did a lot of things wrong and set the stage for this perfect storm of Left-leaning governance, veterans have been pretty poorly treated when they returned home for a long, long time relative to what they did for our country. Since the Walter Reed scandal, while I do not know this for a fact, from what I have heard, real improvements have been made.

One of Bush 43's problems is that he did not pay adequate attention to lateral issues until they became visible enough to the public to demand action. He was not totally unusual in that respect. Obama's handling of the Mexico issue look much the same by my lights.

would vets then get decent medical treatment? or would they continue to get the half ass treatment they have been getting? let us remember the scandals under the gop administrations in the treatment of vets...i do not see the need for private insurance for military...seems like another flipping middle man is you ask me...but i would love to see vets getting decent medical treatment as well as more mental health help....i am for the system that benefits the vets the most.

The best case scenario for the Vets would actually be private insurance paid in full by the government in return for their service to our country. Removing the cost of government "red tape" claims administration and giving everyone Blue Cross/Blue Shield would do just fine.

It's a national disgrace if we don't pay for the health care of our Vets.

Last edited:

The best case scenario for the Vets would actually be private insurance paid in full by the government in return for their service to our country. Removing the cost of government "red tape" claims administration and giving everyone Blue Cross/Blue Shield would do just fine.
It's a national disgrace if we don't pay for the health care of our Vets.

that is what i was thinking....give them control over their health care and which doctor they want to use and pay for it.....

Have any of you actually read anything about this so called story?

Do any of you really think this plan reached anything like legislative critical mass?

Apparently many of you dearly would love it if Obama really wanted to do this.

Sorry, this story is sheer blather.

A truly stupid idea was floated, probably at the committee level, and rejected, probably long before Obama ever even heard about it.

End of story.

Last edited:
Have any of you actually read anything about this so called story?

Do any of you really think this plan reached anything like legislative critical mass?

Apparently many of you dearly would love it if Obama really wanted to do this.

Sorry, this story is sheer blather.

A truly stupid idea was floated, probably at the committee level, and rejected, probably long before Obama ever even heard about it.

End of story.

At his press conference Tuesday night, President Barack Obama expressed strong concern for veterans. He said that his budget offers the largest increase in funding for veterans in 30 years, that there's been a shortage of resources for treating post-traumatic stress disorder, and that some of the increases in the budget will help homeless veterans.

That's exactly what you'd expect from Obama, who had a good voting record in the Senate on veterans' issues. What you wouldn't expect is a plan hurting those veterans who have private health coverage: They'd have to use it to pay for service-connected health problems.

This load-shedding device would have saved the government about $540 million. But whoever proposed it to Obama was politically tone-deaf.

Veterans now use private insurance to pay for care that's not service-related. But asking them to use it to cover injuries or illnesses they sustained in the service of the nation seems like a clear breach of a solemn promise: Serve the nation, and it will care for you.

The idea galvanized veterans' organizations into unusual unanimity. At a White House meeting with the president last week, they argued that prospective employers would be less likely to hire seriously ill or injured veterans if employer-funded private insurance had to pay for their care. And they said using private care could negatively impact coverage for veterans' family members.

To Obama's credit, he appears to have backed away from this insensitive proposal. But veterans still can't figure out how he let someone in the administration persuade him to try it. Frankly, neither can we.
Obama needs to get veteran health care right -- Newsday.com

Forum List

Back