VA doles out $100M for homeless vets

Discussion in 'Military' started by Luddly Neddite, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,830
  2. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Our government owns 1000's of homes, lets find a good way to get them to the returning vets, they earned them. I don't know what your life is worth but I think my life is worth a lot and they are coming back in bad shape and need our help.

3. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,888
    VA triples spending on homeless vets...
    :clap2:
    VA triples spending on homelessness problem
    July 11, 2013 WASHINGTON — The Department of Veterans Affairs on Thursday awarded almost $300 million in grants for homeless and low-income assistance efforts, three times what the agency spent on that program last year.

4. regent

regent Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,768
    I wonder how many neighborhoods would welcome homeless vets?

5. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,857
    A Hundred Million in freaking grants? Is anybody in the freaking government responsible for the proper administration of taxpayer dollars? You can bet your ass(ets) that the 100M will not put a single Vet on the road to sobriety but it might spread the wealth to community activists who supported the president. The unkind reality is that there are hundreds of programs already in place and there are shelters and meals but along with shelter there are behavior restrictions. The 100M thrown out into the system as grant money with little or no accounting will only buy another bottle and maybe a vote or two or three.

6. asterism

asterism Congress != Progress

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,073
  7. usmcstinger

usmcstinger Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Finding housing for Veterans who are homeless has been very successful for over 30 years.
    Do some research ass hole.

8. usmcstinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Why is it that non Veterans become experts on Veterans' issues. The VA and Not for Profit groups have been successful for 30 years in finding housing for Homeless Veterans.

People who are not protected by Smith and Wilson do not know shit about sobriety.

Are their any other groups of people that you stereotype and bad mouth due to your ignorance and stupidity?

If you happen to see some Homeless Vets, thank them for allowing you to enjoy your freedom.

I learned a long time ago that you can't fix stupid.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Sorry, but this is a great big stinking lump of crap. And is only doing what such programs do: make people feel better, while not really doing anything.

For one, the biggest problem with "homeless vets" is those veterans themselves. Millions successfully move from their military to civilian careers, and never have a problem with homelessness. I also believe that the "homeless veteran" problem is overhyped, mostly by homeless advocated that hope to get a "trickle down" of this money, as well as the homeless that were never veterans looking for a handout.

Of those that are really vets and homeless, I bet drugs and/or alcohol is the real problem. We need to get them cleaned up, or they will always be homeless. But like most addicts, they do not want to be cleaned up, they want their next fix or drink.

And how worthless is this effort? Well, I looked at the numbers. $100 million spread amongst 42,000 individuals comes out to less then $2,400 per person. What is this supposed to do exactly? That may give some homeless a few months in a cheap apartment, but that is about it.

The real reason for most homelessness (veteran and otherwise) is mental conditions and substance abuse. And until those are solved we will always have this problem.

In this, I think the VA always has been and always will be a failure. Because they do not solve the actual program. Myself, i favor programs like US Vets, which deals with the real problem before trying to actually help the veteran. It is a private non-profit, that has a high success rate in dealing with homeless vets, as long as they follow the rules. And #1 is no drugs or drinking, period. Break that rule and you are back out on the street.

10. usmcstinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +251
    There are a large number of Not for Profit groups in New York that continue to have high success rates, some without VA Grants. The first Shelter on Long Island was established in Pacthogue without government grants. The first group to provide a Homeless Shelter for Vets in NYC was the Salvation Army. Some people in the surrounding area were displeased about the Shelter. The NYC Councilman for the area held a town meeting. All the Veterans Organizations attended the meeting showing full support for the Shelter and told the residents that these are men who understood that they could be maimed or die while serving in our Armed Forces ( not their exact words but the general theme ).

They residents of the surrounding area did a 180 and started donating clothes, bedding and food for the Shelter.

One of my well seasoned Veterans Councilors, visited the shelter a few days a week to help the residents file for benefits and services they were entitled to.

The VA sent in Social Workers to coordinate with VA Hospitals to provide them with Health Care.

When I was a Deputy Director of the NYS Division of Veterans Affairs , I attended a VA meeting in 1994 that included a presentation by US Vets about how they started and where they were at that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.