Usps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not everybody has a computer so it isn't possible for some people to pay their bills on-line. How are these people going to pay their bills if there is no postal system for them to mail in their payments?

Government Computer Reform. Force those of us that have computers to buy computers for those that don't and to pay to train them to use them. Fine people who don't want computers $5,000 a year if the decline to use the government program to get a computer.

Rick

I hate this idea like I hate DNC Healthcare.

ahhhh....Wait!!

That is the Healthcare idea in postal clothing.

amrchaos

letter costs 55 cents to mail and no--2.00 is too damn much. That is why the private companies send packages and express mail at a premium! To send basic mail through the private corps is expensive not cheaper. Thus presenting a counter-example to the concept of "Privatization and competition makes goods cheaper".

bold added by me

The bold part is not true at all. The good is only cheap in this case due to the fact the cost is HIDDEN and spread across more people through taxes. You are paying more than 55c for mail, you just don’t see that extra charge up front. It is levied in the amount of taxes that is siphoned off from the entire public when USPS’s debt has to be paid. There may be some places where the government may be able to produce a good for cheaper but those are rare and I cannot think of anything off hand that may fit into that category.

[puote]amrchaos

letter costs 55 cents to mail and no--2.00 is too damn much. That is why the private companies send packages and express mail at a premium! To send basic mail through the private corps is expensive not cheaper. Thus presenting a counter-example to the concept of "Privatization and competition makes goods cheaper".

bold added by me

The bold part is not true at all. The good is only cheap in this case due to the fact the cost is HIDDEN and spread across more people through taxes. You are paying more than 55c for mail, you just don’t see that extra charge up front. It is levied in the amount of taxes that is siphoned off from the entire public when USPS’s debt has to be paid. There may be some places where the government may be able to produce a good for cheaper but those are rare and I cannot think of anything off hand that may fit into that category.[/QUOTE]

Let me guess--the 200 billion bill that will be spread across the tax paying populace because USPS has organizational problems?

So instead, we should pay, $9.99 to mail a letter because that is the going rate by the private market?

Add on
I forgot to add--and still pay the extra amount in taxes for USPS even if I decided to use a private market? So the going rate is more than $9.99 for me to mail that letter....Out of pocket I am losing even bigger.

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;2071757 said:
Can anyone think of any reason to keep USPS in existence? It might have served a function at its inception, but I can't see any reason to keep it around in the modern age, with multiple private companies providing the same services.

'Postmaster General John Potter announced that the U.S. Postal Service is facing $238 billion in losses over the next 10 years' (source). Why are we continuing to subsidize this system? If it can't break even and the private sector provides plenty of alternatives, why should we continue to throw billions into it?
Thanks for further proving that the government can't run shit effectively. Just more reason for Obama to shove his healthcare reform straight up his skinny incompetent ass!

amrchaos

bold added by me

The bold part is not true at all. The good is only cheap in this case due to the fact the cost is HIDDEN and spread across more people through taxes. You are paying more than 55c for mail, you just don’t see that extra charge up front. It is levied in the amount of taxes that is siphoned off from the entire public when USPS’s debt has to be paid. There may be some places where the government may be able to produce a good for cheaper but those are rare and I cannot think of anything off hand that may fit into that category.

Let me guess--the 200 billion bill that will be spread across the tax paying populace because USPS has organizational problems?

So instead, we should pay, $9.99 to mail a letter because that is the going rate by the private market?

Add on
I forgot to add--and still pay the extra amount in taxes for USPS even if I decided to use a private market? So the going rate is more than $9.99 for me to mail that letter....Out of pocket I am losing even bigger.

If they operated in the black they would not need to siphoned off takes and that is EXACTLY what I said they should do. By charging the appropriate amount for a letter they would achieve this. Well, I said green but it is the same statement. Please read.

Last edited:
bold added by me

Add on

If they operated in the black they would not need to siphoned off takes and that is EXACTLY what I said they should do. By charging the appropriate amount for a letter they would achieve this. Well, I said green but it is the same statement. Please read.

Actually, I think there is a reason why they do not charge the appropriate amount for a letter after thinking about my situation. They would sink some businesses and force the rise in cost of services in others.

The more I think about this, the more I see a couple of corportists hands in this action. Come to think about it, the more I am not so upset about the USPS being 200 billion in the whole and forcing it on the tax paying populace. It sure make things easier for me--because you are helping to pay!!

Can anyone think of any reason to keep USPS in existence? It might have served a function at its inception, but I can't see any reason to keep it around in the modern age, with multiple private companies providing the same services.

'Postmaster General John Potter announced that the U.S. Postal Service is facing $238 billion in losses over the next 10 years' (source). Why are we continuing to subsidize this system? If it can't break even and the private sector provides plenty of alternatives, why should we continue to throw billions into it?

I didn't read the whole thread and I'm sorry if someone else already pointed this out.

The USPS is not subsidized by tax payer dollars.

Last edited:

I didn't read the whole thread and I'm sorry if someone else already pointed this out.

It is bailed out when it goes into the red--in order to keep it running..

No, it is not. The USPS gets money from the government for what the government requires such as government mailings, etc. Their funding is paid for with the charges to the public. They have to negotiate the price the government will pay for what the government requires, and they have to show just cause to raise their rates to the general public. The USPS is not run with tax payer dollars.

☭proletarian☭;2074282 said:
:lol:

I know, since I called out USPS, more threads are spawning.

Kinda like me staring the thread about liberals and IQ- and then people started copying it all over the board :lol:

YouTube - Copycat - Copycat (Eurovision Belgium 2009)

the other 2 threads were started days before this one.....do you like taking credit for starting things even though you did not?....

No, it is not. The USPS gets money from the government for what the government requires such as government mailings, etc. Their funding is paid for with the charges to the public. They have to negotiate the price the government will pay for what the government requires, and they have to show just cause to raise their rates to the general public. The USPS is not run with tax payer dollars.

Just so that I have it clear.

The 200 billion dollar debt owed by the USPS is billed to who?

☭proletarian☭;2074285 said:
Anyone who prefers a two-hundred-billion dollar charge to a two-dollar charge is undeniably retarded.

It's not name-calling. It's a diagnosis.

thats not what he meant and you know it....

Last edited:
a letter costs 55 cents to mail and no--2.00 is too damn much. That is why the private companies send packages and express mail at a premium! To send basic mail through the private corps is expensive not cheaper. Thus presenting a counter-example to the concept of "Privatization and competition makes goods cheaper".

your right....only letters are 44 cents....

Just so that I have it clear.

The 200 billion dollar debt owed by the USPS is billed to who?

It will be billed to their customers.

Anyone who prefers a two-hundred-billion dollar charge to a two-dollar charge is undeniably retarded.

When pro starts a thread, he needs to stipulate that he only wants people to respond that agrees with him.

Congress owes the PO a ton of money that THEY have siphoned off from the PO over the years and have never paid it back....the PO is a nice little cash cow for those guys.....and show me were the Govt. has ever bailed out the PO....and even if they did....they own the thing....so does that not mean they should fund it,if need be, if they wanna keep it going?...

not since 1970 i believe, if i remember right...

Congress owes the PO a ton of money that THEY have siphoned off from the PO over the years and have never paid it back....the PO is a nice little cash cow for those guys.....and show me were the Govt. has ever bailed out the PO....and even if they did....they own the thing....so does that not mean they should fund it,if need be, if they wanna keep it going?...

Is Amtrak a money maker for the government?
How about medicare, and medicaid, are those money makers for the government?
Until the government can come up with an viable alternative, the post office is the delivery branch of the government.

When pro starts a thread, he needs to stipulate that he only wants people to respond that agrees with him.

believe me i have seen this meatball in action before....nothing new here....he likes to play with words.....that works with idiots like Douger or Yukon....wont work here....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back