USMB (Saddleback) Forum Question

Discussion in 'Education' started by CA95380, Aug 18, 2008.

1. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    This was one of the questions asked during the Saddleback Church Forum of both Obama, and McCain about 'teachers'.

I would really like to hear your opinion, on the question asked of Obama and McCain, please.

Q. OKAY LET'S GO TO EDUCATION. AMERICA RIGHT NOW RANKS 19TH IN HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION. WE'RE FIRST IN INCARCERATIONS. 80 PERCENT OF AMERICANS RECENT POLE SAID THEY BELIEVE IN MERIT PAY FOR TEACHERS. I'M NOT ASKING DO YOU THINK ALL TEACHERS SHOULD GET A RAISE. DO YOU THINK BETTER TEACHERS SHOULD BE PAID BETTER. THEY SHOULD BE MADE MORE THAN POOR TEACHERS?

I found this transcript and I think this is how the question was asked, (not sure of the last sentence) :confused:

http://www.rickwarrennews.com/transcript/civil_forum_transcript-02.txt (This question can be found on this link)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I don't recall the last sentence. The answer for McCain was that the best way to help out education in America was to make it competitive and allow people the freedom to choose where they want to send their children to school. He pointed out that New Orleans was being re-structured in this way since it was devastated, and it has been a huge success.

I honestly can't remember what Obama said to it. He didn't really have much to say about anything that was memorable.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Sorry .... Allie .... I am asking your opinion and the opinion of others here on the board. Thanks

4. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Copy and Pasted from the Transcipt:

Now, my answer is:

How do you really judge a good teacher? What about parent involvement? If the parents don't care about education, their kids aren't going to care 95% of the time. What about special needs kids? A lot of them will never pass the SAT.

Working with teachers to provide some kind of assessment is good. But then the union would get involved, and all hell would break loose. (yes, I'm anti-union)

5. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    lol .... again what I am trying to do is get opinions of others here on the USMB forum?

I remember both of them mentioning vouchers and home schooling. What is your take, Echo .... as a teacher ... about these?

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    My opinion is that Obama, as usual, blathered on and on and really didn't say anything of substance. Other than he thinks we should throw money at teachers. He's big on throwing money at problems...and taking it from areas where it's needed.

7. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Ok, fair enough. One opinion counted, thanks :eusa_angel:

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Oh, and I agree with McCain. Competition. Obviously throwing more money at teachers isn't getting us anywhere.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Good points, Echo. But I would still like to hear your thoughts on home schooling, vouchers?

10. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194

Well, home schooling is a choice a lot of parents are making these days. What worries me is, are these parents really qualified to teach their kids all they need to know? Some are, some aren't.

Vouchers, eh...I teach in an inner-city public school with over 700 elementary students in one of the poorest areas in Indianapolis. Yet our test scores (the ISTEP) are some of the highest in our county. We have dedicated teachers, some that have been there over 25 years. Our building is strong, the teachers care about the students, and take pride in our school.
    Are other public schools like this? I don't know. But I don't feel vouchers to take kids out of a public school to be put in a private school is going to solve any education problems that may have been there anyway.

If the teachers and the students work together, anything is possible!