US troops are coming home!

Wow

Rookie
Jul 10, 2008
Texas
It will be no surprise, Democrats may try to stop our victorious troops from coming home for political purposes. :(

Petraeus Expects to Recommend Troop Cuts in Iraq This Fall - washingtonpost.com
By Thomas E. Ricks and Karen DeYoung
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, May 23, 2008; Page A04

Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said he expects to recommend additional cuts in U.S. troop levels there this fall. Petraeus said he would assess conditions before his departure in September, when he is scheduled to take over the U.S. Central Command.

"My sense is I will be able to make a recommendation at that time for further reductions," Petraeus said at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing yesterday on his nomination to the post that would put him in charge of U.S. military operations from the Horn of Africa to Central Asia.

Petraeus declined to estimate the size of a troop cut. "I don't want to imply that that means a BCT [brigade combat team] or major combat formation, although it could," he said, referring to units that could total as many as several thousand troops. U.S. troop strength peaked in Iraq last year at about 165,000. Recent and already approved drawdowns are expected to bring the level to about 133,000 by the end of July.

It will be no surprise, Democrats may try to stop our victorious troops from coming home for political purposes. :(

Petraeus Expects to Recommend Troop Cuts in Iraq This Fall - washingtonpost.com
By Thomas E. Ricks and Karen DeYoung
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, May 23, 2008; Page A04

Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said he expects to recommend additional cuts in U.S. troop levels there this fall. Petraeus said he would assess conditions before his departure in September, when he is scheduled to take over the U.S. Central Command.

"My sense is I will be able to make a recommendation at that time for further reductions," Petraeus said at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing yesterday on his nomination to the post that would put him in charge of U.S. military operations from the Horn of Africa to Central Asia.

Petraeus declined to estimate the size of a troop cut. "I don't want to imply that that means a BCT [brigade combat team] or major combat formation, although it could," he said, referring to units that could total as many as several thousand troops. U.S. troop strength peaked in Iraq last year at about 165,000. Recent and already approved drawdowns are expected to bring the level to about 133,000 by the end of July.

Like a few other people, my suspicion is that any reduction in forces in Iraq will be offset by bolstering Enduring Freedom over in Afghanistan, in case of a possible venture into Pakistan...Hell, even without action against Pakistani militants, Enduring Freedom is undermanned. We need to just get the hell out of the whole region.

Forum List

Back