US oil and gas boom benefits consumers: ABQ Journal

Bluewill

Rookie
Mar 19, 2012
After years of steadily rising prices, “low-cost fuel” may seem like an oxymoron.

But thanks to a steady surge in domestic oil and gas production, energy experts say consumers could enjoy inexpensive gasoline and natural gas for years to come.

MAP MASTER“The outlook is for a low-cost energy economy in the U.S.,” said Daniel Fine, associate director of the New Mexico Center for Energy Policy, which is run by the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology in Socorro. “This is a long-term trend, not an isolated event, and it’s something almost revolutionary.”

The country’s newfound oil and gas boom, made possible by modern drilling technologies, has helped keep gasoline prices well below the $4-per-gallon peaks that consumers faced just a few years ago. It’s also driven home-heating bills to record lows since 2009.

Now, with production still climbing fast, Fine and others say natural-gas prices will remain moderately low for another five to 10 years at least. And gasoline prices likely will continue to fall into 2014, before stabilizing at somewhere above $2 per gallon for the foreseeable future.

“I believe gasoline will reach $2.35 a gallon or less quite soon, within a year at most,” Fine said.

Gregg Laskoski, a senior policy analyst with the online price-tracking service Gas Buddy, agreed.

“That may seem shocking, but it’s not as outlandish as it sounds,” he said. “The potential is certainly there.” For more of the article use the link--> US oil and gas boom benefits consumers | ABQJournal Online

High cost fuel drives the search for... more fuel. Which is damned risky and expensive.

If gasoline languishes in the $2/gallon range as your link posits, we will see less incentive to search... for cheap fuel.

We've only recently witnessed a fairly rare event: high fuel prices coupled with the introduction of new technology- high volume high pressure hydraulic fracturing. It was the "perfect storm" so to speak.

As domestic supplies of crude and nat gas increase, and prices fall (barring world political tension), we'll see a flight from industry. Domestic production will fall, cheap imports will flood the market, and fuel prices will fall still further.

I've seen this scenario play out time and again in my 40 year career.

Forum List

Back