US MilitaryBase closures...more outsourcing?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by archangel, May 13, 2005.

1. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What I am wondering is why "The Donald" does not close the bases in Europe rather than in the US....kill their economy...not ours...geez! When and where will this outsourcing end?

link: www.defenselink.mil

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Do you know much about BRAC?

TONS of places, across the world are closing.

:)

And frankly, it's not the Military's job to ensure a particular locality's economy is healthy.

:)

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Unless you're a congressman from that district! :D

But you are right... this BRAC round will save the Army some big $$$$$.

4. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

The bases where we were asked to leave such as the Phillipines...I was referring to closing all US bases in the European countries who gave us the thumb(down) when asked for support in the Middle East...We really do not need bases in Europe anymore...Beef up the military budget for US bases to include the funding saved on closing Europes bases...We need fast and mobile units in this day and age...could be accomplished from US bases...

Thats all I am saying...just one mans opinion!.... And yes I am familiar with BRAC!

5. SmarterThanYou

SmarterThanYou Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at states that are pertinent to me and I don't see much issue with this at all. Why have 4 reserve guard stations in dallas when one will do?

6. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +490
    The estimated $50B in savings will go a long way towards modernization of weapons systems, training etc.

The DoD is setting a good example that the rest of the government should be following. Eliminate what no longer is effective or has outlived its purpose. I wish that other government agencies would do the same.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Military facilties all over the world ARE being down sized and reorganized and trust me----they're feeling it too!

8. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Marx is right. What other government agency downsizes its resources? Usually you here about the "Use it or lose it" mentality with most agencies. They have to spend the money they have or risk losing it the following year. So ridiculous expenses are made that dont benefit anyone in order to keep receiving more money every year.

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Frankly, forward bases in Europe are more valuable than a reserve base in Dallas, Timbucktoo or bum-f*ck, Nevada. The military's mission is to defend this nation, not provide economic subsidies to parts of the country. You are putting the self-interests of some, over the self-interests of the nation. Closing bases not only saves the government money, it provides for a leaner, more efficient military. Stop being selfish.

10. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Selfish?Like I or you own the bases...I just gave a opinion...as if it will make a difference...lol...Also "Bum f*uck Nevada" Geez don't you live here too?I suggested closing bases in Europe vs the US because I served in Europe the US and S/East Asia...The Military of today is very mobile,small and concise...do we really need to bolster Europes economy vs ours...geez Free!

Hey why not close Area 51 while we are at it...it does not exist anyway...right?