US Losing The Race To Engage Muslims

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
and i have to say I agree with a lot of what Feingold is saying, we need to be doing a lot more to reform, revamp and expand our foreign service, as well as engaging in better diplomacy and management of relationships with many of the important non-power nations in the world, like mali, tanzania and yemen.

nations that will perhaps play important roles in the future, or at least not be terrorist havens.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0207/p09s01-coop.html?s=hns

US losing the race to engage Muslims

By Russ Feingold

WASHINGTON – Just days ago, I folded myself into a US embassy vehicle in Bamako, Mali, fresh off the plane from Timbuktu, the historic center of Islamic learning and trans-Saharan trade in the north of the country. Looking out the car window, I saw that thousands of cheering Malians were lining the streets of this city, which had been cleared for VIP travel. I admit, I was stunned by this outpouring of enthusiasm for the American ambassador and an American senator.
Then I realized that they weren't there for us. They were waiting to cheer the motorcade of Iranian President Mohamad Khatami, whose plane had just landed at the airport.

Bamako's reception for the Iranian president should be a wake-up call for US policymakers. We need to do much more to reach out to struggling countries like Mali. If we don't, other influences may step in to fill the void.

NATOAIR you and I usually are simpatico, but I fear my take on this is very different. The assumption that it's the US that is not 'reaching out' seems to me a false one. It's vice versa.

Muslims can come here and they will be allowed to practice their faith, so long as they don't harm others. Heck even then, Islam is recognized in prisons with accomodations being made.

Does that respect occur in their countries? No. Ok, that too is their right. However it seems that in many cases, just NOT being Muslim can get you killed. I just posted something about Britain, and Muslims that convert to Christianity, this is way beyond intolerance.

You can't talk on deaf ears...what we need is some Muslims who have worldly sense. I was talking to a Muslim a week ago, though we had differing opinions about our government and it's conduct. We both had the same views on Islamic radical groups and how they use their faith as a recruiting tool. With a bit of arguing we both agreed that we need people to talk sense to us both. Us going and attacking every country we find a threat is going to worsen the problem, and vice versa them attacking us isn't going to help anyone except recruitment for groups like Al Queda. So what we need it to find a person in the Muslim word to act as a spokesmen for them and talk some sense into them.

PS what the hell is that Avatar Nato?

wolvie20m said:
You can't talk on deaf ears...what we need is some Muslims who have worldly sense. I was talking to a Muslim a week ago, though we had differing opinions about our government and it's conduct. We both had the same views on Islamic radical groups and how they use their faith as a recruiting tool. With a bit of arguing we both agreed that we need people to talk sense to us both. Us going and attacking every country we find a threat is going to worsen the problem, and vice versa them attacking us isn't going to help anyone except recruitment for groups like Al Queda. So what we need it to find a person in the Muslim word to act as a spokesmen for them and talk some sense into them.

PS what the hell is that Avatar Nato?

I agree with you as far as We cannot go and attack every country where we find a threat. I do think the TR adage, "Walk softly and carry a big stick" is going to play more and more. I also think some lines are going to be drawn regarding how Islam interacts with others in the West, at the minimum in the US.

Kathianne said:
I agree with you as far as We cannot go and attack every country where we find a threat. I do think the TR adage, "Walk softly and carry a big stick" is going to play more and more. I also think some lines are going to be drawn regarding how Islam interacts with others in the West, at the minimum in the US.
That's the problem..that allows ignorance to take hold of both the west and the muslims. We need to interact more. Honestly they need to play a bit nicer too.

wolvie20m said:
That's the problem..that allows ignorance to take hold of both the west and the muslims. We need to interact more. Honestly they need to play a bit nicer too.

Actually I believe our ignorance was part of the problem prior to 9/11. It seemed inconceivable that a religion could give rise to such intolerance. Our books, including those in Catholic religion texts, described the poetry and humanity of the Koran. They left out a bit though. I know of few that went beyond what we were 'taught' about the Crusades and the Ottomans.

Since 9/11, there is a reevaluation going on, people do want to know more. I don't see the same on the 'other side.' I do see calls for tolerance from us, but none from them. I hear of calls for Sharia law in Canada and Europe. So far, that hasn't been discussed in the US.

I think so too allot of americans have put thier hands out, I know I have I've been learning arabic on my spare time. Like I said though if we were to try and go be tourist in Yemen or anywhere predominatly muslim I can't say we would be all that safe. It's time to put thier hands out too (or gloves).

wolvie20m said:
I think so too allot of americans have put thier hands out, I know I have I've been learning arabic on my spare time. Like I said though if we were to try and go be tourist in Yemen or anywhere predominatly muslim I can't say we would be all that safe. It's time to put thier hands out too (or gloves).

Well I would imagine that in Yemen and other areas of the Middle East, being Muslim probably wouldn't guarantee safety. To a rather large extent, nations have a right to their own culture, be it tolerant or not. I would imagine that decision plays into everyone's travel plans.

On the other hand, the West too has a right to their culture. Regarding the US in particular we have welcomed, (albeit not always warmly or safely), immigrants. While I believe we should all have a right to practice our religion or not, I fully expect the same tolerance of others that come here. They can hate me and what I believe all they want, but leave me alone.

NATO AIR said:
and i have to say I agree with a lot of what Feingold is saying, we need to be doing a lot more to reform, revamp and expand our foreign service, as well as engaging in better diplomacy and management of relationships with many of the important non-power nations in the world, like mali, tanzania and yemen.

nations that will perhaps play important roles in the future, or at least not be terrorist havens.
I agree with Kathianne on this. Diplomacy might mitigate some problems, but in parts of the Islamic world we are dealing with a problem that is beyond diplomacy. Unless radical Islam changes there will be little accommodation with America. If we change to accommodate radical Islam, our culture will be dragged backward in time. This is a clash of civilizations, and not just between America and Islam. Consider these situations: Islam v. Hindus, Islam v. Buddhists, Islam v. Russians, Islam v. Chinese, Islam v. Western Europe, and last, but far from least: Islam v. 21st Century.

Kathianne said:
Well I would imagine that in Yemen and other areas of the Middle East, being Muslim probably wouldn't guarantee safety. To a rather large extent, nations have a right to their own culture, be it tolerant or not. I would imagine that decision plays into everyone's travel plans.

On the other hand, the West too has a right to their culture. Regarding the US in particular we have welcomed, (albeit not always warmly or safely), immigrants. While I believe we should all have a right to practice our religion or not, I fully expect the same tolerance of others that come here. They can hate me and what I believe all they want, but leave me alone.
Seems like a double standard though. They can treat us like crap even go as far to kill us. Yet when we mistreat some here calling them names and such we're being racist and oppresing them. Where and when does this stop?

wolvie20m said:
Seems like a double standard though. They can treat us like crap even go as far to kill us. Yet when we mistreat some here calling them names and such we're being racist and oppresing them. Where and when does this stop?

LOL you just explained my conversion into a nasty, conservative, warmongering, b*tch! I really wanted to be tolerant, but the more I've read and studied, the less tolerant I'm finding myself. I guess I should say rather, I recognize that not every people or religion or anti-religious people, feel the same as I do.

More to the point, seems that 'extreme' Islam, has many, many followers. Mainstream Islam, well it's very quiet in its existence.

What we need to do is start a media war to counter act the crap thet hear all day!!

Seems that your getting all riled up step one put the coffe down... :p:

wolvie20m said:
What we need to do is start a media war to counter act the crap thet hear all day!!

Seems that your getting all riled up step one put the coffe down... :p:

step one put the coffe down

But then my head will hit the keyboard in a bit. No coffee must stay! :cof:

wolvie20m said:
A idea just hit me what do you think about teleislamists....we'll create the Jerry Fawell for them...

Ok, you find the Imam who will speak of tolerance, then we'll see how to get him on the air. Good luck with your part, I think you'll need it! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Kathianne said:
Ok, you find the Imam who will speak of tolerance, then we'll see how to get him on the air. Good luck with your part, I think you'll need it! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I've found my calling... :rotflmao:

"The failure to adequately integrate large youth populations in the Middle East and Sub-Saharan Africa is likely to perpetuate the cycle of political instability, ethnic wars, revolutions, and anti-regime activities that already affect many of these countries.... Increases in youth populations will aggravate problems with trade, terrorism ... and crime," the report states.

This is a projection, not a prophecy. But if we want a less threatening future, we Americans need to get in the game, increase our diplomatic presence, listen to the people on the ground, and combine widespread, quick-impact development projects with long-term investments in fighting corruption and promoting the rule of law. This has to be done in Mali and across the developing world. Most of all, we need to stop thinking solely in terms of how the world will look next year, and start thinking about how it will look in 50 years.

At her confirmation hearing, Condoleezza Rice told the Foreign Relations Committee that when the Soviet Union collapsed, the US was "merely harvesting the good decisions" of "wise and farsighted statesmen" in the late 1940s.

It is time to plan again for a generational effort, to commit to a policy of engagement, and to plant a new crop of wisdom. The US must engage with Muslim communities, and offer tangible support to struggling nations.

I think what Feingold is saying is we need to think smarter in how we're dealing with developing nations, as far as what sort of development projects we embark on, what kind of investments we make, etc etc. The Chinese are beating us at our own old game in places in Asia & Africa, and it needs to stop.

This has nothing to do with being more tolerant of Islam or any crap like that...Its all about connecting with what people need, which is mainly EFFECTIVE rule of law that puts food on the table and jobs for them to work. We don't need to mess with their culture necessarily, just help improve their governments and how their governments work for them.

wolvie20m said:
I was thinking I'd run in and proclaim at the top of my voice I've come to unite our people!!

Now that would go over well, I'm sure. :happy2:

Forum List

Back