US Losing The Race To Engage Muslims

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by NATO AIR, Feb 7, 2005.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    and i have to say I agree with a lot of what Feingold is saying, we need to be doing a lot more to reform, revamp and expand our foreign service, as well as engaging in better diplomacy and management of relationships with many of the important non-power nations in the world, like mali, tanzania and yemen.

nations that will perhaps play important roles in the future, or at least not be terrorist havens.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    NATOAIR you and I usually are simpatico, but I fear my take on this is very different. The assumption that it's the US that is not 'reaching out' seems to me a false one. It's vice versa.

Muslims can come here and they will be allowed to practice their faith, so long as they don't harm others. Heck even then, Islam is recognized in prisons with accomodations being made.

Does that respect occur in their countries? No. Ok, that too is their right. However it seems that in many cases, just NOT being Muslim can get you killed. I just posted something about Britain, and Muslims that convert to Christianity, this is way beyond intolerance.

3. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You can't talk on deaf ears...what we need is some Muslims who have worldly sense. I was talking to a Muslim a week ago, though we had differing opinions about our government and it's conduct. We both had the same views on Islamic radical groups and how they use their faith as a recruiting tool. With a bit of arguing we both agreed that we need people to talk sense to us both. Us going and attacking every country we find a threat is going to worsen the problem, and vice versa them attacking us isn't going to help anyone except recruitment for groups like Al Queda. So what we need it to find a person in the Muslim word to act as a spokesmen for them and talk some sense into them.

PS what the hell is that Avatar Nato?

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I agree with you as far as We cannot go and attack every country where we find a threat. I do think the TR adage, "Walk softly and carry a big stick" is going to play more and more. I also think some lines are going to be drawn regarding how Islam interacts with others in the West, at the minimum in the US.

5. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    That's the problem..that allows ignorance to take hold of both the west and the muslims. We need to interact more. Honestly they need to play a bit nicer too.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Actually I believe our ignorance was part of the problem prior to 9/11. It seemed inconceivable that a religion could give rise to such intolerance. Our books, including those in Catholic religion texts, described the poetry and humanity of the Koran. They left out a bit though. I know of few that went beyond what we were 'taught' about the Crusades and the Ottomans.

Since 9/11, there is a reevaluation going on, people do want to know more. I don't see the same on the 'other side.' I do see calls for tolerance from us, but none from them. I hear of calls for Sharia law in Canada and Europe. So far, that hasn't been discussed in the US.

7. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I think so too allot of americans have put thier hands out, I know I have I've been learning arabic on my spare time. Like I said though if we were to try and go be tourist in Yemen or anywhere predominatly muslim I can't say we would be all that safe. It's time to put thier hands out too (or gloves).

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well I would imagine that in Yemen and other areas of the Middle East, being Muslim probably wouldn't guarantee safety. To a rather large extent, nations have a right to their own culture, be it tolerant or not. I would imagine that decision plays into everyone's travel plans.

On the other hand, the West too has a right to their culture. Regarding the US in particular we have welcomed, (albeit not always warmly or safely), immigrants. While I believe we should all have a right to practice our religion or not, I fully expect the same tolerance of others that come here. They can hate me and what I believe all they want, but leave me alone.

9. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I agree with Kathianne on this. Diplomacy might mitigate some problems, but in parts of the Islamic world we are dealing with a problem that is beyond diplomacy. Unless radical Islam changes there will be little accommodation with America. If we change to accommodate radical Islam, our culture will be dragged backward in time. This is a clash of civilizations, and not just between America and Islam. Consider these situations: Islam v. Hindus, Islam v. Buddhists, Islam v. Russians, Islam v. Chinese, Islam v. Western Europe, and last, but far from least: Islam v. 21st Century.

10. wolvie20m

wolvie20m Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Seems like a double standard though. They can treat us like crap even go as far to kill us. Yet when we mistreat some here calling them names and such we're being racist and oppresing them. Where and when does this stop?