US lead in science and technology shrinking

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

The United States' (U.S.) predominance in science and technology (S&T) eroded further during the last decade, as several Asian nations—particularly China and South Korea—rapidly increased their innovation capacities. According to a report released today by the National Science Board (NSB), the policy making body of the National Science Foundation (NSF) and an advisor to the President and Congress, the major Asian economies, taken together, now perform a larger share of global R&D than the U.S., and China performs nearly as much of the world's high-tech manufacturing as the U.S.

Evidence in NSB's biennial report, Science and Engineering Indicators, which provides the most comprehensive federal information and analysis on the nation's position in S&T, makes it increasingly clear that the U.S., Japan, and Europe no longer monopolize the global R&D arena. Since 2001, the share of the world's R&D performed in the U.S. and Europe has decreased, respectively, from 37 percent to 30 percent and from 26 percent to 22 percent. In this same time period, the share of worldwide R&D performed by Asian countries grew from 25 percent to 34 percent. China led the Asian expansion, with its global share growing from just 4 percent to 15 percent during this period.

"The first decade of the 21st century continues a dramatic shift in the global scientific landscape," said NSB Chairman Dan Arvizu, who is also the director and chief executive of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. "Emerging economies understand the role science and innovation play in the global marketplace and in economic competitiveness and have increasingly placed a priority on building their capacity in science and technology."

Time to invest big time

Couple of factors go unnoticed:

America welcomes and helps fund the education of foreign nationals to occupy scarce places in advanced scientific and engineering universities. Then, upon graduation, throws them out.

America's Luddite faction outlaws vast areas of research which are then undertaken, patented and ultimately produced in foreign countries.

Now, tell me the Marxist regime's primary directive is NOT to "cut America down to size".

America welcomes and helps fund the education of foreign nationals to occupy scarce places in advanced scientific and engineering universities. Then, upon graduation, throws them out.
I believe foreign graduates from medical schools in the US acquire green cards upon graduation to encourage them to stay and practice medicine in the US. For scientists and Engineering graduates, if they get a job upon graduation, similarly they can stay. It would otherwise be silly and counterproductive to mold all this young talent, and then ship them off, especially when we're lacking resources in those fields.

Hard to do when one of the major political parties considers science to be a menace.

I wish Liberals and environmentalists would seriously study the science and engineering of high volume high pressure hydraulic fracturing.

To wish for that is thoughtful and wise.

To force them so to do would intrude on their religious freedom.

Hard to do when one of the major political parties considers science to be a menace.

I wish Liberals and environmentalists would seriously study the science and engineering of high volume high pressure hydraulic fracturing.

To wish for that is thoughtful and wise.

To force them so to do would intrude on their religious freedom.

I've re-thought my post. I don't think it really matters. The science and engineering isn't the issue, it's what it is used for... the recovery of hydrocarbons.

Send a rocket into space? Fantastic. Find cures for diseases? Great. Libs love that shit. Science and engineering at its finest. I love it too.

But float a 30,000 ton $1 billion dollar drilling rig in 10,000 feet of water, then drill 20,000 feet into the ocean floor and hit a deposit with pinpoint accuracy.... fergeddaboutit.

Liberals will embrace science and engineering as long as it is aligned with their perception of... science and engineering.

Forum List

Back