US introduces $60 LED light bulb LED bulbs should last about 100,000 hours - giving t

I read that it can save quite a lot in electricity over it's life, rendering it not only "free" but it will pay dividends. Today, we're twice as energy efficient as we were in the 70's. In 20 years... who knows?

I believe that getting the same things done by using less energy (from any source) is a plus.

fuel efficeincy was increased 20% over the same catagory in auto fuel use in 2007

I'll take 60 dollar LED's that last 20 years anyday over crappy incadesant lights that burn out in 3-6 months

You can get nonfunded govt. versions of the same bulb for around $20 now. Just shows gobmint sponsored programs are wasteful and produce sub-par results at much higher costs.

If this crap keeps up someday people will take their light bulbs with them when they move or landlords will refuse to replace bulbs that weren't screwed in before they were born. Nobody wants to pay $100 including tax for a freaking light bulb.

Already happens in the UK, because of the bloody EU (which we dont want to be in ), they abolished incandescent bulds, now we have to use energy saving crap, or halogen bulbs, all expensive. The last house i moved into, the previous owner had removed the light fittings, the lights, the curtain bearers, and two radiators

Its all part of the general plan to screw the common man. Happens all the time in the EU, for example, last year they banned the use of creosote, a perfectly good wood preserver, and instead now you have to use some artificial made crap, made exclusively by a german company, and three times the price.

Last edited:
LOL. A LED bulb is a solid state device. That $60 bulb will be about $20 in five years or less. So strange that 'Conservatives' absolutely cannot stand the idea of something that lasts much longer, uses less enegy for the same result, and results in major savings over the lifetime of the bulb.

Libs have it bas-ackward as usual. If it costs $20 today it will probably cost $60 five years from now.

Really? Care to compare the present cost of a 40" HD TV to that of the same five years ago?

LOL. A LED bulb is a solid state device. That $60 bulb will be about $20 in five years or less. So strange that 'Conservatives' absolutely cannot stand the idea of something that lasts much longer, uses less enegy for the same result, and results in major savings over the lifetime of the bulb.

Libs have it bas-ackward as usual. If it costs $20 today it will probably cost $60 five years from now.

Really? Care to compare the present cost of a 40" HD TV to that of the same five years ago?

You wait till the strategic metals in china start to run out.

Care to compare the cost of fuel and energy to that of five years ago, not to mention the value of metals, being the two main costs of making a light bulb?

in 20 years time they will be $200 in todays money. Who do you think owns all the worlds deposits of strategic metals, including gallium and indium, used to dope semiconductors? Ill give you a clue: Can i have two number 16's with Prawn crackers and Spring rolls. please?

Last edited:
The United States has three times, if not more, the deposits of rare earths than China. Liberal environmentalists have been very successful in preventing us from getting it, like they have been successful in preventing the nation from producing its own oil.

I can't see replacing all the bulbs in my house with $60 bulbs. But there are certain lights in my house that seem to be on all the time and over 20 years, thats a lot of energy savings.
And like you said, prices will come down

I can't see replacing all the bulbs in my house with $60 bulbs. But there are certain lights in my house that seem to be on all the time and over 20 years, thats a lot of energy savings.
And like you said, prices will come down

Conservatives like the ability to choose their own bulb. I'm very happy with the LED night light in our master bathroom. Clean white light at a low cost. My step son has chickens. He needs a 100 watt bulb that produces heat. An incandescent bulb works very well for that purpose.

By the way, far more energy is wasted by leaving lights on in unoccupied rooms than by regular bulbs versus LEDs.

By the way, far more energy is wasted by leaving lights on in unoccupied rooms than by regular bulbs versus LEDs.

Think of all the money the Eu parliament building and the EU building in Strausburg wastes, they have to be one of the most intellectually unoccupied buildings in the world.

I filled my house with high efficiency bulbs that were supposed to last 7 years. Many didn't make it but a few months and half where out after a year. Maybe one of them will burn for 70 years and really bring the average up...

At least LEDs won't potentially kill you if you break them.

Seems like they contain Gallium Arsenide?

the phosphurs in the primary lens contain MINISCULE amounts of rare earths, but nowhere near the mercury issue with CFL. Furthermore you have to literally grind the LED lamp into a pulp to even reach the LED -- unlike the CFL where you only have to crack the spirally bulbus dealy-bopper to be exposed to Mercury..

It's a good deal.. You should complain about all those CFLs you were bullied into buying prematurely. The market will fix that.

Forum List

Back