US death rate worsening

Originally posted by Moi
I said injuries and deaths...not just deaths. And, I've found at least 10 sources on the internet that disagree with the numbers you posted. I'm not saying that your numbers are wrong, but it just proves how inaccurate the numbers out there are and how different sources can twist the statistics to suit their aims.

Links? And why are you trying to divert this to an injury thing? Check the title of my original post. We are talking about death.

-Bam

Originally posted by bamthin
Links? And why are you trying to divert this to an injury thing? Check the title of my original post. We are talking about death.

-Bam
Unfortunately, many people do not make a distinction between injury and death when they use the word "casualty" so sources can be misleading. The intention of my post was to show how the "casualties" can be reported in different ways and that there are accidents in times of war as without.

I am not digressing. I am responding to a post- so save your sarcasm for someone else.

I think it is within my constitutional rights to agree with whomever asked why deaths of one type are more tragic than another to certain segments of society.

After reading the past two pages, I can say that this topic was totally railroaded. That DUI was nothing but a diversion. So should we say that who the hell cares if people die in Iraq, if more die here from drunk driving?
Also, thats not even a fair comparison. There are many more americans here in AMERICA than Iraq, so if you compare the numbers of DUI fatalities w/ those in Iraq, then you many find that Iraq is much more of a threat to american life, but that wouldn't fit into your spin.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
but that wouldn't fit into your spin.

Imagine that, one of the members of the tinfoil committee is lecturing about others putting a spin on something! :laugh:

I don't think the topic was railroaded. The author of the original post stated that a few hundred deaths was lamentable.

However, someone asked why there is so much sympathy and outcry for those few hundred when many more die from other causes.

How is that railroading? How is it diversion? And when did she say she didn't care if people died in Iraq.

She merely pointed out that she found it ironic that is it deemed more tragic and worthy of outcry when some die in war than when they die of other non-natural causes? That is the point made by a poster and they certainly have every right to ask that question.

The reason why there is such an outcry is that many people believe the war wasn't justified and those lives are lost unneccesarily.

Idiots will always drive drunk, in which case Bush IS related, and the only way to combat the problem would be to make buying alcohol illegal or harsher punishments.

this addresses the 11,00 wounded statement earlier in the thread. there haven't been 11,000 people wounded and the article states that.it says there were 2,273 wounded the rest are non combat related. heres a breakdown of whats happend so far that was already posted in another thread:

the vast majority of people coming out of iraq is for non combat medical treatments. from upi:

....6,861 troops were medically evacuated for non-combat conditions between March 19 and Oct. 30, the Army Surgeon General's office said.

Of the non-combat medical evacuations:

-- 2,464 were for injuries, such as those sustained in vehicle accidents.

-- 4,397 were due to illness; 504 of those were classified as psychiatric, 378 as neurological, and another 150 as neurosurgery.

..........The latest data on non-combat evacuations includes 1,628 orthopedic (bone) injuries. Other leading causes for evacuations include:

-- 831 surgeries for injuries;

-- 289 cardiology cases;

-- 249, gastrointestinal;

-- 242, pulmonary (lung);

-- 634, general surgery;

-- 319, gynecological;

-- 290, urological;

-- 37, dental.

Forum List

Back