US county scraps ‘American Christian Heritage Month’ after local Jewish outcry

Disgusting. Christians can't even have 1 month.

Jewish residents of California’s El Dorado applaud cancellation of planned annual event, which critics say wrongfully promoted idea of United States as Christian country​

There is no Jewish History Month and there should not be a Christian History Month. Christianity has had more influence on American history than ANY other force, movement, concept, whatever. To try to even deal honestly with even a small part of it in a month would be an exercise in futility and probably would do more harm than good.

Nor should there be a black history month or a Jewish history month as both have very long histories that, like Christianity, should be explored and learned in all history of humankind.

Only half of that is correct, the second half.
Both halves are correct. They didn’t want the problems they saw with England and the official “Church of England.”

Sorry. NOT a Christian nation.

Our Founders made it part of the Constitution that this was NOT a Christian nation, nor was it to be affiliated with any specific religion.
At the same time, however, the country was founded on JudeoChristian principles of justice, fairness, honesty, equality, compassion, forgiveness, tolerance, i.e. morality. The Founders knew that once those principles were abandoned, the U.S. Constitution would not work for any people. They held worship services in congressional chambers and did not require but most did encourage Bible reading in schools. They believed teaching morality should be in school curriculum. They believe morality could not be taught without teaching religion and without morality the nation would crumble.

No citizen would be required to be religious and certainly would not be required to be Christian. But neither should the people be denied the ability to express their religious beliefs in all settings. And the U.S. population was overwhelmingly Christian.

Up through the 1950's almost all schools permitted student led prayer in the classroom--especially when the children were dealing with some tragedy or crisis--at school assemblies, etc. Christmas was Christmas and the Christmas concert could have as many religious carols as it could cram into the program. There were generic prayers before all sporting events. With some ugly exceptions, it was by far a kinder and gentler America than what we have now.

It was only when the government started shifting left, including SCOTUS, in the 1960's that the trend to abolish all religious expression the schools began and, like everywhere else that purge would increase throughout the 1960's, 70's, 80's until God was essentially unwelcome in the public schools and had been replaced with 'wokeness.'

Do we blame that for the huge increase in crime, anti-social behavior, school/mass shootings, extreme hostility between factions of Americans? Or do we blame the drug culture? Or something else? I think honest Americans should think about that.

At the same time, however, the country was founded on JudeoChristian principles of justice, fairness, honesty, equality, compassion, forgiveness, tolerance, i.e. morality. The Founders knew that once those principles were abandoned, the U.S. Constitution would not work for any people. They held worship services in congressional chambers and did not require but most did encourage Bible reading in schools. They believed teaching morality should be in school curriculum. They believe morality could not be taught without teaching religion and without morality the nation would crumble.

No citizen would be required to be religious and certainly would not be required to be Christian. But neither should the people be denied the ability to express their religious beliefs in all settings. And the U.S. population was overwhelmingly Christian.

Up through the 1950's almost all schools permitted student led prayer in the classroom--especially when the children were dealing with some tragedy or crisis--at school assemblies, etc. Christmas was Christmas and the Christmas concert could have as many religious carols as it could cram into the program. There were generic prayers before all sporting events. With some ugly exceptions, it was by far a kinder and gentler America than what we have now.

It was only when the government started shifting left, including SCOTUS, in the 1960's that the trend to abolish all religious expression the schools began and, like everywhere else that purge would increase throughout the 1960's, 70's, 80's until God was essentially unwelcome in the public schools and had been replaced with 'wokeness.'

Do we blame that for the huge increase in crime, anti-social behavior, school/mass shootings, extreme hostility between factions of Americans? Or do we blame the drug culture? Or something else? I think honest Americans should think about that.
It is true that the country was founded on JudeoChristian principles, and I too believe there is a correlation between the drop-off of religion and an increase in anti-social behavior and the other ills we’ve seen of late.

That is very different than allowing ultra religious Christian things in the public schools, attended by non-Christians too. You mention the religious Christmas carols. How do you think I felt as a 14-year-old, along with my Jewish friends, being forced to sing “Jesus Christ, Our Savior” in concerts, with a big curtain backdrop of Jesus stretching across the back of the stage?

There’s nothing wrong with festive Christmas decorations, and lighthearted Christmas songs, but save the super-religious ones for church.

P.S. When I was 6, and one of our carols for the Christmas concert was “Silent Night,” I stood up and asked what a virgin was. Natural question for a bright, inquisitive child, no? The teacher told me it was a very beautiful woman.

It is true that the country was founded on JudeoChristian principles, and I too believe there is a correlation between the drop-off of religion and an increase in anti-social behavior and the other ills we’ve seen of late.

That is very different than allowing ultra religious Christian things in the public schools, attended by non-Christians too. You mention the religious Christmas carols. How do you think I felt as a 14-year-old, along with my Jewish friends, being forced to sing “Jesus Christ, Our Savior” in concerts, with a big curtain backdrop of Jesus stretching across the back of the stage?

There’s nothing wrong with festive Christmas decorations, and lighthearted Christmas songs, but save the super-religious ones for church.

P.S. When I was 6, and one of our carols for the Christmas concert was “Silent Night,” I stood up and asked what a virgin was. Natural question for a bright, inquisitive child, no? The teacher told me it was a very beautiful woman.
I am sorry if that was difficult for you Lisa and hope it was because of inappropriate content by your music teacher. All of my Jewish friends and colleagues have not had a problem with the Christians celebrating Christmas as Christmas. Also the Christians have appreciated the Jews inserting a bit of their own seasonal traditions into the mix. The only grumblers are mean spirited sorts who think your faith and my faith is utter nonsense and should be obliterated. :)

My sister taught choral music in the public schools for more than 25 years. When, while deciding on the program for the Christmas concert one year, she became aware of a number of Jewish students in her choir. She had had no idea as they were enthusiastically singing the Christian themed music that was beautiful even if not included in their own beliefs.

Her solution was to quietly include some Hannukah songs in the repertoire which the Christian kids sang as enthusiastically as they did the Christian carols. And she recounts how heart warming it was in how much the Jewish and Christian kids enjoyed that. And those kids forged lasting bonds of friendship that have transcended any religious differences.

I would agree with you that those strongly pushing a particular theology are not appropriate not only for the non-Christians kids but also Christian kids of differing beliefs. But most religious themed Christmas carols simply reflect the basic traditions, symbols, Bible stories and customs of the holiday that has been an official U.S. Federal Holiday since 1870.

A small town in southern New Mexico holds a "Festival of Lights" at Christmas time every year attracting people from many miles around. Old established homes with back yards bordering the Pecos River put out elaborate Christmas lighting, some Christian, some secular, and big open air passenger boats transport people up and down the river to see these displays. And everybody loves and is delighted by the one Jewish Family who lights up a giant lovely blue Star of David and Menorah in lieu of Christmas symbols. It really is wonderful.

Last edited:
I am sorry if that was difficult for you Lisa and hope it was because of inappropriate content by your music teacher. All of my Jewish friends and colleagues have not had a problem with the Christians celebrating Christmas as Christmas. Also the Christians have appreciated the Jews inserting a bit of their own seasonal traditions into the mix. The only grumblers are mean spirited sorts who think your faith and my faith is utter nonsense and should be obliterated. :)

My sister taught choral music in the public schools for more than 25 years. When, while deciding on the program for the Christmas concert one year, she became aware of a number of Jewish students in her choir. She had had no idea as they were enthusiastically singing the music that was beautiful even if theologically different from their own beliefs.

Her solution was to quietly include some Hannukah songs in the repertoire which the Christian kids sang as enthusiastically as they did the Christian carols. And she recounts how heart warming it was in how much the Jewish and Christian kids enjoyed that.

I would agree with you that those strongly pushing a particular theology are not appropriate not only for the non-Christians kids but also Christian kids of differing beliefs. But most religious themed Christmas carols simply reflect the basic traditions, symbols, Bible stories and customs of the holiday that has been an official U.S. Federal Holiday since 1870.

A small town in southern New Mexico holds a "Festival of Lights" at Christmas time every year attracting people from many miles around. Old established homes with back yards bordering the Pecos River put out elaborate Christmas lighting, some Christian, some secular, and big open air passenger boats transport people up and down the river to see these displays. And everybody loves and is delighted by the one Jewish Family who lights up a giant lovely blue Star of David and Menorah in lieu of Christmas symbols. It really is wonderful.
Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy the Christmas decorations and all the holiday music in the stores. It’s just that forcing Jews kids to sing “Jesus Christ my Savior” is requiring them to acknowledge, with words, that someone other than Gd is a deity. It is a big violation of the Jewish religion.

In recent decades, it’s become the thing to include other religions, and nowadays there is almost always a Menorah in a public setting where there is a Christmas tree. But 50 years ago, it was quite different - and many people, including teachers, didn’t even know what Hanukkah was, believe it or not. They didn’t know what the word “kosher” was, either. Jewish children were completely ignored in the public arena, which is what made synagogue life so nice.

Oh, BTW…..this area of my childhood where teachers never heard of Hanukkah, and many people didn’t know what the word kosher meant? Suburb of Washington, DC in the 1960s!

Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy the Christmas decorations and all the holiday music in the stores. It’s just that forcing Jews kids to sing “Jesus Christ my Savior” is requiring them to acknowledge, with words, that someone other than Gd is a deity. It is a big violation of the Jewish religion.

In recent decades, it’s become the thing to include other religions, and nowadays there is almost always a Menorah in a public setting where there is a Christmas tree. But 50 years ago, it was quite different - and many people, including teachers, didn’t even know what Hanukkah was, believe it or not. They didn’t know what the word “kosher” was, either. Jewish children were completely ignored in the public arena, which is what made synagogue life so nice.

Oh, BTW…..this area of my childhood where teachers never heard of Hanukkah, and many people didn’t know what the word kosher meant? Suburb of Washington, DC in the 1960s!
Who definitely should know better. And I do understand.

In the 1950s and 60s New Mexico was definitely fly over country, backwards, still being developed--several of our highways were still dirt roads--etc. But we and our teachers knew about Jewish beliefs and traditions even though Jews made up (then and now) a very small percentage of our population, at this time an estimated 30,000 of Jewish faith or heritage in a population of 2.12 million.

As a writer and teacher of religious history (avocation more than professionally but have done both), primarily of Christian history and the evolution of Christian thought, I have always taught that you cannot fully understand Christian beliefs without a thorough grounding in Old Testament and Jewish history. Most Christians believe Judaism was the vehicle God used to bring Jesus the Christ into the world in flesh and blood and that Christianity evolved out of the Jewish faith.

And many--maybe most--Christians personally believe that God the Father and Creator, Jesus/the Christ, and the Holy Spirit are three characteristics of one being, God. Other Christian traditions teach they are three separate entities but my faith is that there is one God in three parts. For most Christmas is the celebration of how God become man and lived among us to provide an example and teach.

I also understand that most Jews do not believe that or believe as I do. For that matter many Christians don't either. :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back