US Census figures way off for Somali population in the US?

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
US Census figures way off for Somali population in the US?
Posted by Ann Corcoran on November 2, 2014
A comment on one of those discussion boards just caught my eye—the statement was that Somalis are the least educated of the African immigrants living in America. I laughed out loud when I considered how clever they are at schemes to benefit themselves—like the housing voucher scheme in Cheyenne I just wrote about. Who needs a formal education when you know how to make it without working too hard.

The discussion thread led to this story about the US Census Bureau report from early October about the African population in America which included this graph:

Census-on-Foreign-born-Africans-level-of-education-in-US-Tadias-Magazine-cover.png

I went to have a look at the Census report and followed a link to this information: The Census Bureau says that 76,205 Somali immigrants live in America. See Report and Supplemental tables here.

However, we have documented almost 120,000 admitted in the Refugee Resettlement Program alone, click here for that data. Our data doesn’t include all those who are here through other legal immigration programs or those who have entered illegally.

LOL! We know a bunch have left the country to join jihadists but not enough to account for that great a difference.

So, why the discrepancy? Did the Census Bureau not find about 45,000 or more of them?

We're being flooding by a bunch of stupid animals and our own government is lying about the true number.

Star Tribune (emphasis mine) setting the stage:

A week after the United States government resettled them in Connecticut this summer, Nur Ali and his wife, Mahado Mohamed, had decided: They were moving to Minnesota. [Lucky Connecticut!---ed]

Tales of the state’s large Somali community had intrigued them back in the Kenyan refugee camp where they had married and had five children. Now, a Somali man they met in Hartford told them all recent arrivals head to Minnesota, home of “Little Mogadishu.”

After a major dip in 2008, the yearly numbers of new Somali refugees in Minnesota have rebounded steadily. The number of Somalis resettled in the state has more than tripled in four years. As resettlements nationally have picked up, more Somalis are also arriving here after brief stints in other states — often trading early support from resettlement agencies for the company of more fellow Somalis.

“You tend to go somewhere you can connect,” said Mohamud Noor, the head of the Confederation of Somali Community in Minnesota. “Before people even arrive from Africa, they know they are coming to Minnesota.”

But without the Twin Cities family ties of earlier arrivals, these newcomers often can’t lean as heavily on longer-term Somali residents. Mary’s Place, a Minneapolis homeless shelter, has become ground zero for families like Ali and Mohamed’s. Somali participation in the state’s public food assistance program doubled in the past five years. Meanwhile, the Minneapolis School District, its Somali student enrollment up 70 percent since 2011, launched eight classrooms with instruction in both English and Somali to help newcomers catch up. [So who pays for all this?---you do!---ed]

Forum List

Back