US army reportedly conducted secret ops in Pakistan, Syria

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
The US military has conducted nearly a dozen secret operations against al-Qaida and other terrorist groups in Syria, Pakistan and other countries since 2004, The New York Times reported Sunday night. Citing anonymous US officials, the Times story said the operations were authorized by a broad classified order that then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld signed and President George W. Bush approved in spring 2004. The order gave the military authority to attack al-Qaida anywhere in the world and to conduct operations in countries that were not at war with the US. One such operation was an Oct. 26 raid inside Syria, the Times reported. Washington has not formally acknowledged the raid, but US officials have said the target was a top al-Qaida in Iraq figure. Syria has asked for proof and said eight civilians were killed in the attack. In another mission, in 2006, Navy SEALs raided a suspected terrorist compound in Pakistan's tribal areas.

Link here.

The US military has conducted nearly a dozen secret operations against al-Qaida and other terrorist groups in Syria, Pakistan and other countries since 2004, The New York Times reported Sunday night. Citing anonymous US officials, the Times story said the operations were authorized by a broad classified order that then-Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld signed and President George W. Bush approved in spring 2004. The order gave the military authority to attack al-Qaida anywhere in the world and to conduct operations in countries that were not at war with the US. One such operation was an Oct. 26 raid inside Syria, the Times reported. Washington has not formally acknowledged the raid, but US officials have said the target was a top al-Qaida in Iraq figure. Syria has asked for proof and said eight civilians were killed in the attack. In another mission, in 2006, Navy SEALs raided a suspected terrorist compound in Pakistan's tribal areas.

Link here.

Yeah, not only to coduct ops within countries we're not at war with but to do so without that country's permission or even knowledge.

Yeah, not only to coduct ops within countries we're not at war with but to do so without that country's permission or even knowledge.

God bless George Bush. I never gave him this kind of credit... I didn't think he could manage to invade more countries in this 8 year term than the United States has ever invaded in the history of any other President.

In World War 1, we invaded Germany and Italy.

In World War 2, we invaded France, Germany and Japan.

In the Korean War, we invaded Korea and China.

In the Vietnam War, we invaded Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

In the Gulf War, we invaded Iraq.

In the Kosovo Conflict, we invaded Serbia.

Since Bush has taken office, we have invaded Afghanistan, Iraq, Liberia, Syria, Pakistan and Iran. Who knows what other countries we've invaded??

Hell, might as well invade Canada before Jan. 20th!

God bless George Bush. I never gave him this kind of credit... I didn't think he could manage to invade more countries in this 8 year term than the United States has ever invaded in the history of any other President.

Since Bush has taken office, we have invaded Afghanistan, Iraq, Liberia, Syria, Pakistan and Iran. Who knows what other countries we've invaded??

Wht not. Hell lets invade Canada. After all, that is where all the cold air comes from. :cool:

Well, Obama has also said that he would go into Pakistan without their blessing if he have good intel. on Bin-Laden, and he caught hell for saying it.

Can you imagine the outrage if one of our allies sent in commandos to take our one of their enemies on US land?

Link here.

Couldn't be much of a secret if YOU know, huh?

Dude, where did YOU take history?

In WWI the US invaded no one. We joined an already existing Army in France in a war against Germany and its allies and the war ended there. Italy was an ally in WWI.

In WWII we invaded France, Italy, Lybia, Egypt, China, Belgium, Germany, Tunisia, the Phillipines.

That alone shoots your blabbermouthing down. The rest of this is gravy.

We did not invade Korea nor China during the Korean Conflict. N Korea invaded S Korea and then China invaded Korea when we had N Korea pushed against the Chinese border. We were already in Korea when No Korea initially invaded. That was a UN action, btw, not a US one.

Likewise Vietnam. We were already there, and we only invaded Cambodia.

In the First Gulf War we removed and occupying power from Kuwait. We did not invade Iraq.

Kind of hard to blame Yugoslavia on Bush, isn't it since he wasn't President yet? And that also was a UN action.

You left out that during the 80s we also invaded Panama and Grenada and in 1975 US Marines stormed the USS Mayaguez and took it and the hostages back.

Your bullshit is not only ignorant in the extreme, you completely leave out the context under which any of the wars/battles were fought, and you obviously don't know the difference between offense and defense, nor the definition of "invasion."

Stick to spewing mindless partisan bullshit. You're better at it.

Paramilitary drug cartels invade the US from Mexico regularly and even when it's reported it gets hushed quickly.

You have a point?

Yes, I made that point.

Clearly based on your response, which has nothing to do with the issue at hand, you missed it.

It's the man behind the curtain you aren't supposed to be paying attention to.

Didn't Obama get his first Intel brief a few days ago? Now we have an "anonymous US official" leak .... bah.... must be just a coincidence.

Paramilitary drug cartels invade the US from Mexico regularly and even when it's reported it gets hushed quickly.

You have a point?

Do you think it's alright for the US to invade sovereign territory of other countries? Would it be alright for Russia to conduct military raids and capture persons of interest from US soil? Would you have any problem with Iran deploying attack helicopters on US soil and then deploying troops to capture people they deem threatening?

Do you think it's alright for the US to invade sovereign territory of other countries? Would it be alright for Russia to conduct military raids and capture persons of interest from US soil? Would you have any problem with Iran deploying attack helicopters on US soil and then deploying troops to capture people they deem threatening?

You're wasting your time trying to make relativist arguments on me. I could care less what's in Russia's, or anyone else's best interest.

We're at war and when you engage in war, you fight it to win. YOU and YOUR mindset enable criminal, terrorist organizations to have safe haven. They run right across the border into Pakistan and thumb their noses at pursuit. Hell, why don't you just go on and send them a donation, or better yet, go join up? Might as well.

We're at war and when you engage in war, you fight it to win. YOU and YOUR mindset enable criminal, terrorist organizations to have safe haven. They run right across the border into Pakistan and thumb their noses at pursuit. Hell, why don't you just go on and send them a donation, or better yet, go join up? Might as well.

Spare me your Sean Hannity Republican talking points, Gunny. I heard this shit back in 2003 when people were against the Iraq war. I was here when the terrorists declared war against us. I know very well what they are capable of doing and what kind of disgusting pigs they are. And I do agree, the terrorists are thumbing their noses at us and running into other countries for safe haven. But just as their actions have consequences, so do ours. We cannot be so blind to invade every single country these jackasses run into for safe haven and just think that our actions will not have consequences. We may talk the talk, but we cannot walk the walk. Our military is stretched beyond belief right now and you had better pray to Jesus that Syria decides to just keep complaining to the UN instead of sending a brigade or two to seal their border with Iraq. America is fighting a war on two fronts right now - do you want to open up a third or a fourth?

It's this kind of unilaterialism that has caused us to be so hated in the world. We cannot just think that the world is our playground to do as we wish with. There is a reason why countries have borders and territories and if we feel we have reason to breach those borders and territories, then we had better be prepared for the consequences. To think that Syria, Pakistan and Iran should just bend over and take it shows ignorance. They will not tolerate further incursions into their territory. And if we keep violating their borders, they will very soon fight back. And then you neocons will be calling for war. How many more countries must we declare war on? America's resources are not without limit. America's military is not without limit. Do you really think we can fight a war in Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and Syria?

The extremists are just WAITING for an excuse to kill Bhutto's husband like they did his wife and take over Pakistan for itself. Oh by the way, Pakistan has nuclear weapons. You piss off enough countries, you'll only wish you could have another 9/11. Pakistan not only has nuclear weapons, but they also have IBD's from Russia and can fire those nukes anywhere around the world they wish to. And then what? An American city is nuked and we declare war on every single Arab country in the ME, lose millions of American men and women in more wars in the ME and what do we win again? We install a third or a fourth puppet government in the middle east that somehow, some way turns against us like Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq have done?

When does it stop? When do you draw the line and realize that our actions have consequences and we cannot just stomp through the world unilateraly without reprucssions?

Forum List

Back