Urban Farms: America Begins Rapid Descent into an Agrarian Society (Video w/ Commenta

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by george4title, Aug 24, 2010.

1. george4title

george4title Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaG9z4G94]YouTube - Urban Farms: America Begins Rapid Descent into an Agrarian Society[/ame]

Haven't been able to find anything in the news about this development born of the current economic situation in California. Below are two articles that reference Urban Farming, but no one is talking openinly about the huge growth in my area regarding localized urban farming. Spurred on mainly by immigrants out of work and with nothing to do, a growing number of urban farms are opening up in Southern California. I counted 10 within a 5 square mile radius of my home. Entire families are cultivating these localized crops for sale and consumption. In the spirit of Mexico, people turn to the land for extra income and food subsidies. Perhaps this is a glimpse of the further development of America into an Agrarian societ

2. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    Contrary to popular belief that's actually called progress. Less $$ for the "machine".
    I suggest reading The Long Emergency.

3. george4title

george4title Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    strange progress, working the fields

4. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +394
    I'ts happening all over NYC too. I, myself, am starting an organic micro-farm in Appalachia on my grandparents' old homestead. 2.5 acres of veggies, flowers + beehives and fresh eggs from free-range hens.

Manhattan Rooftop Garden Project
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/dining/17roof.html

5. george4title

george4title Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    strange times indeed

6. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +394
    How so? Big agra is a big fail. Bigger is not better, and crops genetically altered to have a long shelf life are not necessarily nutritious. Add pesticides and chemical fertilizers and it's not even worth it. Did you know that on big agra farms that use these chemical fertilizers and pesticides (which leach into and kill the living soil, prodicing weaker and weaker plants, which invite more pests, etc. calling for the use of more pesticides and more fertilizer etc etc) the average agribusiness tomato plant yields 8lbs of tomatoes total. I know of a farmer who regularly gets 300lbs per season out of one plant grown organically... because he understands taking care of and enriching the soil - which is the most important thing of all. Not profits... soil.