Updating Router Firmware

Mr. H.

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2009
A warm place with no memory.
I've got a Linksys E1200 that's fairly old. There have been a few Firmware releases since I bought it.

I downloaded the oldest update and began the installation process. It made it to 98%, then I got the notice "Update Failed". But- when I re-checked the Firmware version, voila! It apparently took.

Next, I downloaded the next- oldest version and tried to install. It keeps failing at about 25%.

Our Wi-Fi is fine as it is, but lately when I stream Netflix (Roku directly connected to Router) our Wi-Fi bogs down big time.

Could the modem be going bad? I was told I could swap it out for a new one.

God I hate dealing with this shit.

Type this in your browser: 192.168.1.1

Login name and password should both be "admin"

That'll take you to your linksys settings. I think that's the right IP I have a NetGear router and it's different.

Find where you can select the channel that your router uses to transmit wifi (typically set to "auto")

Change "auto" to 1, 6, or 11. Mine is set to 1.

That should stop any interference that your wifi signal is receiving. If that doesn't work then you probably need a new router.

I did buy a new router today. But when I hooked it up, our web browsers went nowhere. Roku wouldn't open anything, even though I updated the Network via Roku settings. So I unplugged it and hooked the old one back up.

We saw the new Wi-Fi network on our devices, and was able to connect. But, absolutely nothing was loading.

Forum List

Back