Update: "Equal Rights" Transgender controversy divides Houston

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
http://nounequalrights.com/informat...l-showdown-in-houston-on-the-november-ballot/

I can't believe the nonsense going on at taxpayers' expense. (What's even crazier is that I am a pro-choice Democrat, who totally supports gay equality and marriage, but as a Constitutionalist I find the process of pushing biased laws without consent of the public to be unlawful, where it goes too far and starts imposing, excluding or discriminating against people of opposite beliefs. The concept and intent are correct, but the means are unethical and unconstitutional, and should require correction or removal from office!)

Mayor Annise Parker practically admits owing personal representation to the LGBT supporters who donated millions to her campaigns to ensure her election to the maximum number terms (including large donations from California, clearly outside the City of Houston she is supposed to represent). Now that she's on her last term, sheI finally did what she promised she wouldn't do, which is to use her office to campaign for gay marriage.

First, she used her Mayoral authority to change the city policies to recognize gay partnerships as married spouses eligible for city employee benefits, which invoked a lawsuit arguing that this violates Texas law and the proper legislative procedures necessary to amend laws. Parker was advised it was legal for her to make such changes, citing the law was unconstitutional if it excluded same sex marriage not recognized in Texas.

Next, when she first pushed the HERO Houston Equal Rights Ordinance, it was presented as just expanding employment policies prohibiting discrimination by race, religion, etc. to include "orientation"

But as written, the ordinance called for allowing the use of public restrooms, showers and other facilities by transgendered/cross-dressing persons based on their chosen identity, and not their physical gender which the State of Texas recognizes by birth certificate.

The public uproar and objections by the Houston community included a diverse mix of Muslims, Christian churches, Latino and African American pastors and congregations; and legal teams pointed out that the language in the ordinance created security issues, where men dressed up as women could enter into the women's restrooms. UNQUESTIONED, as the ordinance threatened fines up to $5,000 for discrimination or harassment, if such individuals were even approached with questions concerning their gender.

Due to these objections, the first vote got delayed two weeks. But the contested parts were not corrected to the satisfaction of the protesting citizens. So when the ordinance passed by an 11-6 vote, the same groups still contested that the problems with the ordinance remained, or were made worse by the revisions that still allowed security risks, which the City denies.

The next step was to gather 17,000 signatures in a recall petition within 30 days to block the ordinance from being implemented and enforced by policy. The City is is process of verifying over 5,000 pages and 50,000 signatures to confirm at least 17,000 meet the requirements of citizens eligible to vote in City elections.

http://heropetition.com/home
^ The City is now posting these petitions online to try to expose any voter fraud or forged signatures. The taxpayers also have to pay the cost of voting on this recall referendum on the November ballot, because the Mayor REFUSED to hear objections each time they came up!

Why does it have to cost so much time, resources, hassle and effort on behalf of citizens and government?

Why can't people iron out conflicts BEFORE passing a bill or ordinance to PREVENT all this hassle and cost AFTER the fact?

Is it that hard to see that half the citizens OBJECTED and demanded CORRECTIONS to the policy BEFORE passing it?

That's the part I cannot understand.

Especially if you are concerned about not discriminating against people, isn't this a form of discriminating by creed? To push a bill by majority, and then force the dissenters to defend their beliefs "after the fact" by correcting what you passed that you KNEW did not represent them but excluded people by beliefs?

My conclusion: Whatever "crack" the Democrat Party is on, I need to start smoking the same stuff. Otherwise, I will never get on the same page or planet these people are on!

Last edited:
Dear [MENTION=22889]Matthew[/MENTION] and [MENTION=49168]LiberalMedia[/MENTION]:

No Unequal Rights Coalition Responds to City and Court actions | No Unequal Rights

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tonymerevick/houston-officials-say-opponents-of-equal-rights-ordinance-fa

To give you an update:
* the petitioners had turned in over 50,000 signatures and had preverified 30,000 in advance.
* the City Secretary confirmed over 19,000 and stopped counting since only 17,000 were required
* now the Mayor and City Attorney claim that only 15,200 signatures were valid, and the rest of the petitions were not.
* so the groups of pastor and citizens had to go through court to get a TRO until it can be proven the petitions were valid and the city is stalling politically

I already couldn't believe it.

Now I really can't believe they would push it this far!

What part of NO we DON'T AGREE, there are PROBLEMS with the written terms,
do these people NOT understand?

How can this be the party that claims to defend women against rape culture
and then turn around and support this?

I am running out of places in my head to run to when another part of my mind is blown.

Today I called up the local youth director trying to save our historic neighborhood from getting destroyed by the City of Houston, and begged him as Democrat Precinct Chair to call a meeting with Congresswoman Lee and the other church and community leaders.

And say this is more proof that the City keeps abusing people and power politically
with no regard for Constitutional rights to due process, representation, equal defense and protection of interests, and right to petition.

The pastors groups can afford to sue over their citywide issue.
The red light camera opponents organized funds to sue and win over the City
although taxpayers still had to foot an additional 4.8 million to settle the contract
the City signed which was deemed unlawful and revoked after an extended legal battle
over technicalities to stall and delay, again, at taxpayers expense as if that doesn't matter.

But citizens who can't afford to sue to defend our rights trampled by the City's abuses,
how much more damage have we suffered?

We are losing the national history of Freedmen's Town destroyed at taxpayers' expense,
and about to lose the Astrodome which is also a national architectural landmark.

All because of ineptitude, waste and abuse by the City of Houston.
The City has spent millions upon millions of citizen tax dollars on legal battles over bogus policies that required legal action to revoke,
but has no money to save national historic brick streets, churches, rowhouses for Vets, and even the world renowned Astrodome???

So I begged for a meeting with the Congresswoman to talk about contacting the President and asking for an executive order to remove our district from City jurisdiction until these constitutional issues can be settled, including rewriting the Houston charter if necessary to quit the overreaching abuse of authority to bypass checks balances, due process and equal protections we are supposed to enforce under the Constitution.

If people don't believe in that as "inalienble," we definitely need to separate jurisdiction.

Having to sue to get rights back 'after the fact' is not equal, and only larger groups with resources can afford to fight such battles, where winning is still not guaranteed.

So how is that inalienable rights if you have to pay tons of money and take years to sue to revoke policies that should never have been passed in the first place, much less enforced.

And while millions of dollars are wasted on these made up battles,
the City has 0 dollars to save the historic sites we are losing in the meantime.

WTF???

Sorry, but I'm running out of brain cells to process this, and just feel like I'm shutting down.

If anyone can help me think and reason through this, I need help and support to write a letter to the Democrat Party member and leaders, demanding that this be resolved and it is NOT acceptable strategy to block people's due process, right to defense/protection of interests, and to petition to restore what is being destroyed.

This is abuse of power, not just bullying but outside the govt process to abuse it to obstruct and deny equal rights to others, especially if that is the point of the reforms. Totally conflicted and wrongful.

I feel that Democrats who allow people elected with our votes and using our numbers to claim representation should accept responsibility when such collective influence is abused!

Otherwise we are complicit in the wrongs.

Similar to if you let your kid get the car keys and drive reckless and damage someone's property, since the kid was enabled by the parents, the parents are legally responsible.

So I believe the Democrats are responsible if our leaders won't listen to anyone else.

So if Democrats do not stand and speak out, I hold Democrats responsible for this.

I don't know how to say this to whom, but will ask the other men and church leaders who are expected to lead the community to come out and say it.

It will be highly embarrassing if a complete nobody has to come out and say it
if they are too chicken politically to stand up to their own corrupt party abuses.

So I am begging the Precinct Chair to organize the leadership to do this properly
and make the community look good instead of complicit in letting this go on any further.

I feel so bad, because I support inclusion of gay and every type of minority and rejected or marginalized person or group out there! So it breaks my heart that power and office are abused to ruin the credibility, and people overlook this in the name of politics as if it is ok.

It's not okay, it's unlawful, unethical and unconstitutional to abridge, deny, obstruct
and delay the right to petition and due process of citizens the govt is supposed to represent.

I am sorry to post this update.

I thought it couldn't get worse, yet it is.

I have no more brains left to deal with this.
Please help me think through and come up with words to tell the party
leaders to address this is in a constructive way to solve the problems going on.

this is ridiculous to push this at public expense,
especially when Houston is at risk of losing two national historic
sites, that are worldwide landmarks as unique in their significance,
but our Mayor and City Council has legal resources and millions to waste
fighting on nonissues that should never have been created, while
the existing history we need to address and preserve is neglected for lack of funds.

Makes no sense.
I can't believe it, please help!

Last edited:
LATEST UPDATE: Case taken to Texas Supreme Court, with large groups of citizens having to SUE to get the City of Houston to follow its own charter, and confirm the City Secretary validated over 17,200 signatures required, after sampling only 19,000 and stopping instead of going through the full 50,000 submitted.
===============
Houston No UNequal Rights Coalition Files Appeal toTexas Supreme Court
===============

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Houston, TX – The coalition of pastors and citizens who submitted over 55,000 signatures on a referendum petition to repeal Houston Mayor Annise Parker’s “Equal Rights Ordinance” that grants special privileges to sexual behavior and gender confusion have taken their case to the highest court in Texas. The No UNequal Rights Coalition filed a mandamus appeal to the Texas Supreme Court today challenging the refusal by a panel (Justices Martha Hill Jamison, William Boyce and Tracy Christopher) of the Fourteenth Court of Appeals to grant a ruling that would require the City of Houston to follow the City Charter based on City Secretary Anna Russell’s report.

Russell confirmed in writing on August 1 that the petition sponsors had submitted 17,846 qualified signatures, the minimum being 17,269. Russell only reviewed 19,177 signatures, for a 93% validation rate. Civil Court judges John Coselli, Jeff Shadwick and Robert Schaeffer had refused to rule on the basic facts asserted by petition sponsors that they had met the minimum number required. The latter two granted temporary injunctions suspending the ordinance pending trial now slated for January 2015.

“We committed from day one that we would not yield, bow, bend or falter in fighting for the safety of our women and children, our basic Constitutional freedoms and the fundamental right to vote,” said Rev. Dave Welch of the Houston Area Pastor Council on behalf of the coalition. “Neither city officials who conspire to deprive citizens of our voting rights nor judges who can’t seem to make a decision based on clear facts will deter our commitment to seek truth and justice. The evidence we have presented to the courts is irrefutable, which is why our mayor and the highest paid city attorney in America have hired at least three major outside law firms and marched fifteen of their attorneys into the courtroom to our one.”

Welch said that the coalition decided to appeal to the Texas Supreme Court and request the court issue an order that would confirm the suspension of the ordinance pending the ballot vote and require the City Council to either repeal the ordinance or place it on the ballot as required by the City Charter. “Our attorneys are convinced that the city will attempt continued delays of the trial even beyond January. Their hired guns even arrogantly accused our pastors and citizen leaders of engaging in fraud. The brazen attempted theft of our voting rights by the Parker/Feldman regime is an appalling abuse of government power against its own citizens; an abuse we trust will be corrected by our state Supreme Court justices,” he concluded

Forum List

Back