Unlawful Search?

Howey

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
So our local police, led by a Republican chief and a teabagger mayor, have taken it upon themseves to wander local parking lots looking for unlocked doors.

When the find one, they issue the perp a ticket.

Dontcha think if this were Democats doing this the patriots would be up in arms?

So...what would they do if they came across my wife's Blazer...with NO doors?

Don't know if there is or not but it still doesn't give them the right to open your car door.

You rang, bro?

link.png

There is no link. I saw it happen. :)

Are you sure it's a ticket/fine?

Or a friendly reminder to lock your doors.

Oak Forest Cops To Single Out Unlocked Cars | NBC Chicago

To battle car burglary uptick, Carrollton PD looking for unlocked vehicles | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Police Leave Warnings Inside Unlocked Cars On North Shore « CBS Boston

I did run across a few articles in Canada where police will fine you for leaving your doors unlocked.

And as the saying goes...a law is a law.

There is no link. I saw it happen. :)

You don't need a link for me. I know that during the last several years, there have been a number of cities that have at least proposed such a law. I am not the least surprised that someone has actually implemented such a law. When I Googled “fines for unlocked cars” I found a number of examples of proposed laws, including an article dated October 12, 2010, describing how the town of Willow Grove, PA, was proposing to fine motorists who did not lock their cars. According to the article:

“The Bucks County Courier Times reports that under the proposal police would do spot checks on cars in neighborhoods having problems with thefts from cars. The owner of a car left unlocked would first get a warning and the door would be locked. If it was found unlocked again within the next year, the owner would get a citation and $25 fine.”

Pa. township mulls law requiring cars to be locked | abc7.com

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an example of a city where the law was actually in effect; however, my research was limited. I checked only several hundred of the more than 5 million sites. The only places I found where the fine was in place were certain areas in Australia. In Melbourne, for example, the fine for an unlocked car is $358.

Drivers face fines for unlocked cars

Thanks for letting us know what is going on in your home town.

Forum List

Back