Unjust Hanging of Van Tuong Nguyen

Thangalin

Rookie
Nov 4, 2005
An Australian, Van Tuong Nguyen, will be executed for drug trafficking unless more attention is drawn to his plight. I believe that together we may save the life of this man.

To this end, I have written an open letter to the President of the Republic of Singapore asking for clemency. The open letter, which includes a dozen related e-mail addresses, is online:

http://www.joot.com/dave/writings/articles/capital-punishment.html

It is my hope that the interactivity of the Web can save a young man's life. Please read the above site and if you agree that a human should not die for being caught with drugs, then I beg you to send an e-mail asking the President of Singapore for clemency on behalf of Van.

Sincerely,
Dave Jarvis

Thangalin said:
An Australian, Van Tuong Nguyen, will be executed for drug trafficking unless more attention is drawn to his plight. I believe that together we may save the life of this man.

To this end, I have written an open letter to the President of the Republic of Singapore asking for clemency. The open letter, which includes a dozen related e-mail addresses, is online:

It is my hope that the interactivity of the Web can save a young man's life. Please read the above site and if you agree that a human should not die for being caught with drugs, then I beg you to send an e-mail asking the President of Singapore for clemency on behalf of Van.

Sincerely,
Dave Jarvis

Good for you!

Thangalin said:

Sincerely,
Dave Jarvis

Hanging a drug trafficker is unjust HOW exactly? Too bad we can't do that here.

GunnyL said:
Hanging a drug trafficker is unjust HOW exactly? Too bad we can't do that here.

LOL, that's just what I was thinking. Somehow I don't think he's going to find alot of empathetic letter writers here. :smoke:

Smuggling 396.2 grams of heroin is a terrible crime; but premeditated execution is heinous.

Yes it is a terrible crime, and execution will insure he doesn’t smuggle 397 grams next time. Now that’s what I call a deterrent!
:chains:

If the punishment for drugs in Singapore is death, then by all means, WHAT THE HELL IS AN AUSTRALIAN doing in Sing. w/drugs?

Now, if he was framed, thats another story, otherwise, I really feel for the guy, but hey,,,its their country, they choose their laws, if you dont like em, stay the hell out.

From the guys name, I thought we would be reading a story of Vietnam executing someone for promoting Christianity or something.

Thangalin said:
An Australian, Van Tuong Nguyen,

See, Dave, right away I'm gonna have to call you out. "Van Tuong Nguyen" is not an Australian any more than "Mohammad Mansoor" is an Englishman or "Vikti Singh" is a Canadian. These people should stay in their own damn countries, and when they visit other countries, they should obey the damn law. Nguyen actually sounds Vietnamese to me, so one wonders why he'd be so clueless about another Asian nation's draconian ways.

pegwinn said:
Been to singapore, real clean country..............

Back in the 90's, there was a bill-board on the main road leaving the international airport that basically said if you sold or even just possessed drugs and were caught, you would be executed.

Hate it for the guy...but he should have listened to Baretta.

They caned an American a while back for littering. The country is probably one of the strictest regimes in the world. This guy was a drug traffiker. If he knew the risks, then it's his fault for trying to traffic drugs into a country like that. If he didn't know the risks, then that is also his fault that he didn't do some reading beforehand.

I can't say I agree with the country's laws, but this guy got himself into this mess, and a bunch of letters from Americans who pretend to care isn't going to get him off the hook.

BTW, Nguyen is a Vietnamese surname. I've known 5 seperate Nguyens, and they were all Vietnamese.

Thanglin,

Since we know (because all the liberals have been telling us so for years) that all cultures are equal and that our society, which is based on principles of "innocent till proven guilty," and "let the punishment fit the crime," is NO better or worse than a society that kills all criminals for their crimes, regardless of whether or not we feel it is fair or just....I'm afraid that if I interfered with another society's culture by telling them what not to execute this man...many people in this country and others would brand me as an intolerant, jingoistic, American imperialist spreading my incideous, capitalistic American consumer culture to nations that have no desire to hear my opinions or to be influenced by my beliefs on what justice should be.

Does this situation pass the "global test?" Is Singapore a threat to us? Will the UN support the US in stopping this execution? How does France feel about all of this?

Thangalin said:

Sincerely,
Dave Jarvis

Acutally, I do not agree that a human should not die for being caught with drugs. I think more drug dealers should be put to death.

pegwinn said:
Been to singapore, real clean country..............

The punchline to that was that they cane your ass for littering. Death for drugs seems a natural progression.

Gem said:
Thanglin,

Since we know (because all the liberals have been telling us so for years) that all cultures are equal and that our society, which is based on principles of "innocent till proven guilty," and "let the punishment fit the crime," is NO better or worse than a society that kills all criminals for their crimes, regardless of whether or not we feel it is fair or just....I'm afraid that if I interfered with another society's culture by telling them what not to execute this man...many people in this country and others would brand me as an intolerant, jingoistic, American imperialist spreading my incideous, capitalistic American consumer culture to nations that have no desire to hear my opinions or to be influenced by my beliefs on what justice should be.

Does this situation pass the "global test?" Is Singapore a threat to us? Will the UN support the US in stopping this execution? How does France feel about all of this?
I think human rights trumps any idiotic politics that might come up.:rolleyes:

LuvRPgrl said:
If the punishment for drugs in Singapore is death, then by all means, WHAT THE HELL IS AN AUSTRALIAN doing in Sing. w/drugs?

Now, if he was framed, thats another story, otherwise, I really feel for the guy, but hey,,,its their country, they choose their laws, if you dont like em, stay the hell out.

From the guys name, I thought we would be reading a story of Vietnam executing someone for promoting Christianity or something.
Australian tourists go to Indonesia all the time for beach paradise vacations. How exactly can any of you justify putting them to death for doing a little ecstasy on their vacation even if it is the local law? These Indonesians are savages.

Hagbard Celine said:
Australian tourists go to Indonesia all the time for beach paradise vacations. How exactly can any of you justify putting them to death for doing a little ecstasy on their vacation even if it is the local law? These Indonesians are savages.

Ecstacy is illegal in pretty much every place that I'm aware of.. If their punishment happens to be death, so be it. Vacation elsewhere with a lesser penalty. This guy was in complete control of his own actions. He willingly made a stupid choice, and now needs to suffer the consequences just like everyone else that breaks a law.. Duh?

(I did mention I have little tolerance for human stupidity, yes?)

Forum List

Back