University big wigs living large as students face tuition hikes, massive debt

You are quite right to be worried, and what you have been told confuses the issues.

Top university administrators are paid only a tiny fraction of what top executives are paid. Think about the implications of that.

In addition, it is the cConservative Republicans who are insisting that what students pay increase. Conservative Republicans are unwilling to help students by funding universities well enough so that students would find it easy to afford an education.

Given that, it looks like some Conservative Republicans are trying to keep people from noticing that they are the ones who are causing the problem. They hope that if they blame someone else, nobody will notice that it is their fault.

Jim

They'll get out and protest "big oil" and "big banks", but where is all the outrage over the raping we take from "big education?"

University big wigs living large as students face tuition hikes, massive debt - EAGnews.org powered by Education Action Group Foundation, Inc.

I agree with all the inferences within the links from that post. I also believe that mom and dad should look at the prince and/or princesses accommodations at the bastion of higher education, in CA or in any of the 50 states. Really a 'suite' with private or semi-private bath? 2 BR, kitchen, dining and living areas? A shared or 2 baths? Really? College housing?

Yes, they are still paying for the wonderful cuisine to be found by food service. By junior year they are out of the housing of university, instead paying for off campus. My youngest that spent 3 years being an RA, now says if'd he'd have really thought his last year through, he'd have stayed in dorm, just not as RA.

I don't know about all colleges, but when I was in university housing, we had two students to a not all that large room, and two rooms shared a bathroom. Many students want to be independent so push their parents to let them live off campus.

One thing that is important is that people who become professionals in universities don't choose that career path for the money. They could make much more money in private corporations. They are dedicated to research and/or teaching. There just isn't much price gouging in universities.

There are heavy costs. Corporations charge universities high amounts for the computer systems they use. Libraries have to purchase many journal subscriptions at a yearly $100 a subscription or up. Equipment in general and to support research is expensive. Health insurance for university employees is very expensive, as it is for all. If anyone is price gouging, it is the corporations which sell these necessities to the universities.

Then, universities help poor students with part of the cost. University scholarship aid given to poor students is an immense expense for universities. etc.

Jim

Forum List

Back