Universal Background Checks

Joe Biden Gun Control Recommendations: Background Checks To Be Top Priority

Sam Stein
01/11/2013

WASHINGTON -- Just days before Vice President Joe Biden issues a sweeping series of recommendations on gun policy Tuesday, the outline of his suggestions is coming into focus.

Multiple sources close to the talks tell The Huffington Post that the vice president will make universal background checks for all gun purchases the "top priority" of his suggestions. The idea has broad support among politicians in the wake of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, as well as backing from some traditionally pro-gun rights voices.

<snip>

Very highly doubtful that it has "broad support among politicians" or any "Pro gun rights voices".

How does one 'Background Check' the Universe?

From a practical standpoint, the universe includes the background checkers.

I volunteer

th

I'm going to say from the looks of her, there's no place she could put a gun.

Sam Stein
01/11/2013

WASHINGTON -- Just days before Vice President Joe Biden issues a sweeping series of recommendations on gun policy Tuesday, the outline of his suggestions is coming into focus.

Multiple sources close to the talks tell The Huffington Post that the vice president will make universal background checks for all gun purchases the "top priority" of his suggestions. The idea has broad support among politicians in the wake of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, as well as backing from some traditionally pro-gun rights voices.

<snip>

Stupid is as stupid does.

i'm not really sure what to think about this. on the one hand, it seems to make sense and would help decrease the chance of wackos or criminals purchasing 'legal' guns. however, i believe it will simply cause those people to use illicit methods to purchase guns. somewhat like how prohibition 'worked'.

also, why should we be required to have our personal information opened up to the government for exercising a constitutional right? you can have an abortion with utmost privacy, but, if you buy a gun, your personal information can be posted for all to see in some jurisdictions.

there are less restrictions to vote than buying a gun and i dare say, voting is vastly more important.

You cannot buy a gun without ID and a background check, I am pretty sure you can vote without either of those.

Sam Stein
01/11/2013

<snip>

Who will pay for the cost of such a program? Maybe biden should take the cost out of his 1%er pocket since he wants to push this.

How does background checks prevent mass murderers. A mass murderer is a law abiding citizen until he commit mass murder? Criminals and mentally ill will not come forward for background checks because they will not buy guns from a gun store. I can buy a gun within a day on the street.

I've always been interested in a common sense license. You'd have to have one before you could get a driver's license, voter ID, marriage license and so on.

IThen there have to be laws with severe penalties to owners who allow their guns to be used by family members and friends. If the shooter's mother in Sandy Hook had lived and such laws were on the books, she would have to serve a jail term for teaching her mentally unbalanced child about guns and allowing him to be around them so he could access them. She should have had them locked away in a storage building off the premesis.

What good would that have done her if someone had broken into her house?

She might also (and others like her) be charged with manslaughter for allowing access and teaching him how to use a gun. No person under 18 should be able to handle or own a gun.

You're a moron. Fathers have been teaching their sons how to shoot for over 200 years when they're kids. I first shot a gun when I was eight years old. There are plenty of stories in the news of kids shooting attackers in their homes. Kids go hunting too. You teach them responsibility. In the case of Lanza, yes, she should have known better since he was a nut job and probably not trained him, but that's not a reason to ban every kid in the nation from learning how to shoot just because one retard flipped out.

There are other things that could be done also. In Israel, background checks involve mental health checks and the applicant has to see a doctor and be certified okay to own a gun. Every three years a person has to re-apply and also have the mental health check again. Also, people who are approved can only own one gun. All ownership is for handguns only (for personal use). Only professionals are allowed to have rifles and other types of weapons.

Israel doesn't have our Constitution.

Tell me, how do you do a background check on every sale, without knowing where every gun is? This is a soft way to sell national registration. I won't go there.

Why does it have to be national? The feds can make it a state funciton, those states who care not who buys guns can be cut from revenue sharing.

The feds could ask, but if the individual states say no, (see Maobamacare mandates), there's not allot that can be done. SCOUTS has already ruled that existing funds cannot be withheld if a state refuses to implement new programs, federal blackmail of the states ended with that one.

How are private gun sellers/buyers going to perform these "universal background checks"?

They can't. They'd have to outlaw private sales.

No, they could start a new program for that- but I believe they're talking about dealers. Maybe we should wait and see. But what would the Pub 24/7 propaganda/fear mongering machine do? I think the Dems are in the real world.

Forum List

Back