• Don't Care

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

American_Jihad

Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220
1328458116.jpeg

At first I was hesitant about this, but now I’m leaning pro. This is one of the greatest teaching tools to promote capitalism. These kids will be in the 1% bracket “sorry OWS”. Poor and immigrant kids can help their families. Some will send money back home to their families in other countries and they will realize that capitalism is a pretty dam good system. I’m also saddened that paying these kids will cost somebody or something their funding like liberal arts, etc but I’m sure the George Soros’s on the left will step up. Now you can ask these kids how are you doing, and when they say how great everything is you can say that’s good ole capitalism. Hell even the unions are into it for the money…

Have @ It...:D

Last edited:
Well by college sports you mean football and men's basketball because all other sports will cease to exist

I don't think they should be paid but I think they should be allowed to collectively bargain on playing issues

75 percent of Americans against college players unionizing

By Tom Fornelli | College Football Writer
March 27, 2014

USATSI_7701232.jpg

A majority of Americans are against Kain Colter, or any college athlete, forming a union. (USATSI)

Northwestern players may have won an early battle with the National Labor Relations Board, but it appears they have a lot of work left to do to win over the American public.

And it's not just unionizing, either. The HBO Real Sports/Marist Poll found that 67 percent of Americans don't think college athletes should be paid, while 29 percent believe they should be and four percent are "unsure."

75 percent of Americans against college players unionizing - CBSSports.com

I think they should be able to sell their autographs or memorabilia.

I don't think they should be paid, unless it is a small stipend sort of thing.

The colleges make money off of them, the coaches rake it in but the students can't even pay for treatment of their injuries.

college-coaches-deadspin.jpg

The colleges make money off of them, the coaches rake it in but the students can't even pay for treatment of their injuries.

There are some colleges that do not cover the athletes like they should, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

And the NCAA requires the student-athlete to have health coverage before they are allowed to play.

I think they should be able to sell their autographs or memorabilia.

I don't think they should be paid, unless it is a small stipend sort of thing.

I don't think pay would work out to be that much when spread over all of college athletics. But the current witch hunts if a a player talks to an agent or accepts money for an appearance is petty in light of the massive amount of revenue being generated

If someone wants to pay you for an autograph or to appear at the opening of an auto dealership it should not affect your status.

The cat is out of the bag either on purpose or inadvertently. College football stars are only classified as students to make it legal for them to play football. The college degree they end up with ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

The cat is out of the bag either on purpose or inadvertently. College football stars are only classified as students to make it legal for them to play football. The college degree they end up with ain't worth the paper it's printed on.

How is the degree worthless? I would challenge you to tell that to Barrett Jones. He played offensive line for the Univ of Alabama and graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in Accounting. Tell me why his degree has no worth? Is it because you say it doesn't?

How is the degree worthless? I would challenge you to tell that to Barrett Jones. He played offensive line for the Univ of Alabama and graduated Summa Cum Laude with a degree in Accounting. Tell me why his degree has no worth? Is it because you say it doesn't?

Pretty smart guy. How many other college football "scholars" graduated Summa Cum or just plain Cum?

Pretty smart guy. How many other college football "scholars" graduated Summa Cum or just plain Cum?

I'm not sure. I know our starting QB that won a BCS Championship was a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship. I also know that the team has a 73% graduation rate of those who attend 4 years. That obviously does not include those who leave early for the NFL. But then, they have a lucrative career.

It is amazing that our highest paid public employees are all coaches

Considering the difference in winning records, major bowl games and championships, a high quality coach is worth their weight in gold.

I'm not sure. I know our starting QB that won a BCS Championship was a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship. I also know that the team has a 73% graduation rate of those who attend 4 years. That obviously does not include those who leave early for the NFL. But then, they have a lucrative career.

I know I am outclassed when to get into an argument with a obviously well connected part of college football. I leave the argument to you.

Not only that but they usually have to change majors to stay on scholarship.

When a recruit is being "recruited" they tell the kid. You can study whatever you want. When you sign, they still say that but with one stipulation, it can't interfere with football practice (work). Oh and if you choose to focus on your studies instead of football, you can lose your scholarship (or job).

They are treated as employees under the disguise of students. Except they get no school credit for football, they have to change majors to comply with football and missed countless classes to perform for their university. They aren't normal students.

The one factor that few people consider is that if you want to play professional basketball or football, you are virtually required to get your "minor league" experience playing college football.

If a young high school athlete wanted to be honest and say, "I have no interest in school, I just want to prepare myself to tbe a professional basketball or football player," he would not be able to do it, no matter how hard he tried.

So in essence, the colleges have monopoly power on these young athletes. It is their way or nothing at all.

As I have written here previously, the bad guys here are the NFL and NBA owners, who exploit the NCAA to provide a free minor league system for them. If they had any integrity they would do what MLB does and sponsor a number of minor league programs so that the schools do hot have to be compromised with non-student athletes, and so that young athletes could be PAID for their efforts.

Forum List

Back